Gateway Plasma TV / After a year and a half of owning my 46& Plasma TV died!

After a year and a half of owning my 46" Plasma TV is died and is not repairable per DecisionONe. My 3 options are to downgrade to a 42" TV, attempt another repair (which is useless) or WAIT 6 MONTHS FOR A REPLACEMENT. This is absolutely absurd! I kindly asked for a possible upgrade to a 50" and paying the difference - not happening. I asked for a refund and accepting the 42" - not happening. How can this be allowed? This is by far the WORST customer service I have ever experienced. From what I see, Gateway is still very much in business but has left all their Plasma TV owners in the dark. I have no choice but to defer to a lawyer and demand a refund.

Va

Comments

• Va
      29th of Nov, 2006

GATEWAY 42" Plasma TV purchased 2 1/2 years ago almost to the day developed 1 and sometimes 2 wide vertical black lines about middle of screen. When I called tech support I was told it possibly was a "XR board" at an approximate cost of $200. In addition they could set up a third party non refundable repair for $500. That would include a $200 trip fee, $250 labor fee, and a $50 diagnostic fee. I said thank you and checked in the Seattle area for a local repair. Everyone I talked to would not take the unit because they said GATEWAY wouldn't sell parts to them. I called GATEWAY again to get a "factory authorized" repair person in my area and was told they didn't have any listings. As part of this conversation GATEWAY again mentioned their 3rd party fix - but this time they said to expect about $1300 for a repair.
    I again searched for other repair facilities that would at least look at the unit to determine if it was hopeless. I found TELETRON SERVICES in Seattle. They determined it was a bad "PDP" with the following quote, "if part was available it still would NOT be economical to repair"
    I am now looking into the class action suit -

Gary Anderson
    Redmond, WA.

1st of Sep, 2007

My Gateway 50" plasma TV just stopped working as well. I have only had it two years and of course the warranty has just run out. I get sound but no picture. When I called GATEWAY they said the repair visit only would cost $500 and most likely would cost another $400 to repair the problem but they could not be sure of that until someone came out to look at it.

So it looks like for $900 I can "possibly" get my TV repaired. If there is a class action suit going on I would jump on it. A Plasma TV should last more than two years and then not cast you the price to buy a new one to fix it when something goes wrong.

Jon Ganio
    Seattle, WA

• Ro
      8th of Apr, 2008

My 46" plasma went out (under warranty) digital interface board. It was repaired and the same thing happened 15 mos. later. Got the $500 service call and quote of approx $700 to fix.
    The agent I talked to was so quick with the quote, ( and being the second board for me)I have to ask if this was a common problem with this model/brand.
    The price to repair started @$1200. A new tv price. I'll take the unknown over the known bad product

• Do
      1st of Jul, 2008

WE PURCHASED OUR 46" PLASMA DIRECTLY THROUGH GATEWAY AND BEGAN HAVING TROUBLE TURNING IT ON/OFF. WHEN A REPAIRMAN CHECKED IT OUT, HE SAID IT IS A BRAND HE HAS NEVER HEARD OF. IT HAS BEEN TWO MONTHS AND STILL HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY PARTS TO REPAIR. A LOT OF MONEY FOR THE GATEWAY NAME FOR A NO-NAME PRODUCT. GATEWAY HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO!! HELP. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER GATEWAY PRODUCT---THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND IT OR THEIR NAME!!!

• Rc
      26th of Jan, 2009

any one need another one? im not even going to try mine again it was acting up before i stored it.

9th of Feb, 2011

I have had nothing but trouble with my 42" Gateway Plasma too. No picture, no service and no one else has parts or wants to service it. Had trouble with this TV from the time I bought it. Would NEVER buy another Gateway product. I'd like to see a class action suit against these folks!!!

Jane True