Gateway Financial / Scam and cheating

United States Review updated:

I received a letter in the mail stating that i had won $100, 000. 00 in the north american sweepstakes. Enclosed was a check for $4, 900. The letter stated that the purpose of this check was to pay the fee of $3, 900. To the tax agent. I was suspicious of this and tried finding the company on the internet. I googled gateway financial inc. And inserted the exact street address.

The report came back that there was no such company at this address.
Va

Comments

De
  18th of Nov, 2008
Received a check in the amount of $4900.00
Ld
  29th of Nov, 2008
Yeah..I just received the $4900.00 check as well. You know what they say..it's too good to be true..
Al
  23rd of May, 2011
I have been financed by Gateway Financial since July of 2010. My troubles started when there was a terrible flooding in my town in which a very large tree fell on my car a week after it was purchased. The insurance company that I had at the time considered my vehicle a totaled loss. The only option I had was to keep the car and pay or total it out and still pay. My insurance company sent a $2, 500 check to Gateway Financial. I work 9-6 so needless to say it was difficult to get an estimate and have work done on the car and invoices sent to Gateway. I asked if the check could be sent to me and was told that it could not. I was then told that the check would be applied to my balance. I asked if my payments could be deferred for the equivilent of $2500 worth of car notes so I can have the work done on the car. They advised that their policy does not allow that. Needless to say, I have been paying $420 a month plus the cost of damages on my car for several months not because I could not afford to pay for it all at once. I have also fallen behind with my payments with the demands of the work that must be done on my car. It was over $3, 000 in damages. I am currently 8 days late on my payment and my car has been disabled. I don't believe this is a way to handle business when I have made it very clear on numerous occasions that I am expending more with me paying a car note and damages at the same time. If I am financed by Gateway with my next vehicle, I will not purchase. I understand that they have to conduct a business, but I don't feel that they have in any way been accomodating to the situation. I also don't understand why my payments were not able to be deferred if they received the payment already.