Garmin / do not buy garmin

1 Chandler, AZ, United States Review updated:

I bought a Garmin a couple of years ago and today tried to update my maps. The Garmin is unrecognized by two different computers using two different cords. Customer service acknowledges this problem happens and told me I woul have to pay $85 dollars to have the unit refurbished and sent back to me with a 3 month guarantee. They told me this would include the same map that originally came with the unit. This means to get my GPS in good working condition I have to pay $160-210 (depending on whether I want the single map update $69 or lifetime updates $119). I may as well buy a brand new GPS. I would recommend researching other brands to see if they offer better warranties/customer service. Garmin has left me feeling very dissapointed. I'm going to buy a new GPS and Garmin will be my last choice.

Comments

3rd of Feb, 2011

IN GENERAL GARMIN SUX SO DO THE ADVOCATES OF THE PRODUCT

• Ep
      26th of Apr, 2011

Well I've had enough of Garmin & I used to say they had good customer service even though I've talked to several of their tech support who are complete ###s.

When I first researched which was the best GPS out there, everyone told me Garmin was top of the line.

LOL, yeh right. I spent over $350 for a Garmin here in Windsor, Ontario, there was something wrong with it, so I took it back to Costco. Got another one. Another problem with that one. I think (it's been so long I don't remember), I returned it again & got a better model. More problems.

Now I started talking with someone high up in the company.

While he was nice & helpful, there continued to be ongoing problems with EVERY single Garmin I received & I believe I've gone thru 3-4 of them & 2 different models.

I wasted TONS of my precious time dealing with them on the phone. Every time I speak to them it's at least 45-60 minutes of my time. I have no problem troubleshooting problems once or twice, but this BS has been ongoing for almost 3 years now.

The last Garmin that was sent to me refurbished since they had to send it from their Canadian distributor had the "use back roads" setting checked off, so the Garmin led me behind some farm & I ruined my car since there was nothing but HUGE pot holes to drive on.

When I first got this one, I kept telling Garmin that the GPS was telling me to take some other route than it normally tells me to take & instead of someone over there being smart & suggesting I look at those settings, one day I tried to go down that road (shoot me, I was curious) & I ruined my car.

Someone who was coming to my home had the SAME problem with her brand new Garmin (it was a gift) & their truck got stuck in the mud, & they had to pay $65 to get it towed out. Trust me, she was NOT happy & I doubt she will ever use the Garmin again.

Suddenly after I ruined my car, that's when Thad suggested I look at the settings. Why in the WORLD would you have a default setting for back roads??? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And why when I kept telling him & some other techie he had call me that it was pointing me in a different direction, why didn't they tell me to check the settings at that time???

This latest problem was me going across the border. The Garmin wouldn't find the address in Ann Arbor, MI. It just hung. I was on a tight schedule & I wasted time calling Garmin from Windsor, only to be told I have to do an update. Yeh right lady, I'm on the bloody road, I shouldn't have to do an update when I'm on the road.

Once I got across the border, suddenly the Garmin was able to pick up the address & I got to my destination (Amazing). The nightmare started on my way back home. AGAIN the GPS hung & couldn't find my home address, but then it suddenly found something & started pointing me in a direction so I went that way. I found it strange that the arrival time was 2 hours prior to the current time, but that has happened before on the Garmin, so I didn't think anything of it.

An hour later I FINALLY realize I'm lost. Instead of taking me back home, the bloody stupid GPS took me to the border of MI & OH. I had to get directions the old fashioned way.

I also lost 1/4 tank of gas & hour of my precious time & I WAS FURIOUS.

This isn't the first time one of the Garmins has gotten me lost. When I drove to my sister's in NY in PA it would give me wrong directions & you would think it has perfect directions in the States.

Sometimes in the surrounding areas of Windsor (not in Windsor itself) it doesn't recognize roads & these aren't new roads, they have been there for at least 4-7 years. Even my house it can't find & I realize it's a new sub division, but the house is 7 years old already. How bloody long does it take for them to get their act together when it comes to their maps????

Anyway, I contact Thad really pissed now since this is the umteenth time I've had to stop my life to deal with Garmin & I didn't like what I heard.

1. He claims he's never heard of the clock going backward.
    2. He suggests I look at the map to see where it's taking me & decipher if it's going in the wrong direction. UMMMM, I told him I'm geographically challenged, why the HELL did I buy the Garmin in the first place??? So I don't have to find my way around ON MY OWN that's why.

Why should I have to do all this work just to ensure this GPS works? I SHOULDN'T.

I would have NO way of knowing if it's going in the wrong direction b/c if I knew where I was going, I WOULDN'T NEED THE GARMIN!!!
    3. He said he wouldn't reimburse me for my time or gas.
    4. He said he'd give me an updated map. Woopty do. The problem isn't with their maps, it's with Garmin. The map worked perfectly fine in Windsor. Why can't it work going across the border from Canada to the US & then back?
    5. He did e-mail me with some PDFs telling me to look them over. I didn't as I don't have time for this BS. I think the PDFs were to teach me how to figure out if the GPS is taking me the wrong way LOL

How the hell am I supposed to know that if I don't know where I am in the first place? That is just stupid. I shouldn't have to learn how to be smarter than the Gramin, it should be smarter than me when it comes to directions. That's why I bought it.
    5. I e-mailed him saying I want to know how they are going to fix the Garmin so I don't get lost again & waste my tine & gas. Never heard back from him after that & I'm in the middle of a major move. So, I had to reach out to him. (more time of mine wasted)

When he called me back, he basically said there is nothing wrong with the Garmin or there's no way to fix it LOL, LOVELY. Then he clearly got ticked off b/c I told him I don't have time to read his PDFs.

He repeats again that he won't compensate me for my time or gas. I heard him the first time I didn't need him to repeat that. He said he'd send me the link to update the map. I asked him for a map to Panama which is where I'm going & he refused citing it's a different company. So I lost about $20 in gas & an hour of my time which for me is worth around $90 & he can't arrange to give me the map I want but hey, that map probably won't work either.

We'll see if I get the link from him. I now have to trust the Garmin is going to take me back to Warren MI in a few days without getting me lost & I can't waste time as I have tons of errands to do & a plane to catch.

I will NEVER recommend Garmin again.

Other issues I remember having with the units:

1. Would tell me I'm trying to access the Garmin with my cell when I wasn't. Pass key 1234 or something like that.
    2. Would give me some Bluetooth error which would freeze the GPS so I couldn't get directions. I'd have to pull over to the side of the road & waste my time finding something small enough to reset the entire thing just so I could get a working GPS.

27th of Apr, 2011

SO TYPICAL OF A GARMIN GPS
    AFTER A YEAR THE ORIGINAL MAP Is useless, the GPS start loosing all the data so conveniently, so you have to buy an updated map, if nothing has changed geograhpically in that period and onwards and you don't need a new map you shouldn't be forced to buy one!!!
    its a company rort..., if you have bought a GPS with a map, that map should always remain and stay the same until you update, , and the same principle should apply to a new updated map ...
    secondly, , , the customer care people know this and they will not directly answer your questions funny that!!!they will deflect your question and try to confuse your intelligence thats the last thing you need after after buying from a so called trusted product and company, that once was NO GARMINS SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!