Garmin / 2011 Map Update / map update

1 Nashville, TN, United States Review updated:

I purchased a download to update my Garmin Street Pilot on Thursday evening for a trip to Nashville early Friday morning. I was up most of the night trying to get it to work. In not only failed, it fried my Street Pilot. I arrived in Nashville without a hitch but on Saturday and Sunday, I was trapped by floodwaters with no idea on where to go. My best friend and I nearly died. I wrote and called Garmin to complain, but their customer service is non-existent. You have to wait an hour every time you call and they simply say "oh well, these things happen". They send follow up emails to see if your issue was addressed. I replied with all the details and they simply ignore your response. They only take calls during M-F 8-5 and they must have only two CSRs working at any one time. Their online support is a complete waste of time. I spent $70 and ended up losing all GPS function all together. Do not buy anything from this company. I nearly drowned as a result of my last purchase from them.

Comments

Toronto
    Ontario
    Canada
    Phone: 647 808 7258

I have owned several Garmin watches and Garmin navigation systems. I have promotes the 310XT watch to several friends as well. I am so disappointed in this equipment and also GArmins customer service. What a joke. How can a company sell an item worth $400.00 that doesnt work!? there are dozens of complaints on line discussing the inaccuracies of the HR monitor system...i have tried so hard to buy a new one. i dont even want a free replacement even though the thing never worked right since the first week...i cant even find a place to sell me the new chest strap and sensor. At least i have a Blog which recieves serveral thousand hits a day so i am now going to discourage as many people as possable from buying Garmin watches...seriously a crappy company as far as service goes...and BTW, if you are a co your size then get a web site that acctually recognizes canada

• Sh
      26th of Nov, 2013
    Garmin Nuvi - 260W
    Garmin USA
    Olathe
    Kansas
    Garmin.com

Bought a Garmin Nuvi about three years ago and at the price ( and looking at the Garmin website where they brag about how their products last forever) I expected to use it for ten years. After trying to update it, the GPS stopped working. I paid over fifty dollars to update the map, and after trying time and time again, the message I received was that there was not enough space on the GPS to install it. It said that I should buy a 4 Gb card. Well I had bought an 8GB card and it still would not install it.
    The company informed me that they would not service my dead GPS. Apparently their products are NOT made to last years, but are obsolete after just a couple of years. I went on a trip and it would not even show my current location.
    Based upon their rotten service I would tell anyone to seriously consider if they can afford to pay for a GPS which will only work for a couple of years.

• Ji
    garmin nuviv255W - scam
    pricebreak.com
    New York

These guys are ###s..they never gave me any update on shipment status after I ordered..after lot of trouble..finally I got my order shipped.. only to find out that the product they shipped is a refurbed one...total rip off

DONT EVER BUY from these guys

28th of Jul, 2016

DO NOT BUY GARMIN PRODUCTS PLEASES.
    I'd purchased a Garmin at COSTCO with free map update option.
    It worked fine when I test it on same day I bought it and I did not use it for about 4 months.
    When I tried to update the Garmin GPS, I can not because 90 days passed already.
    I called to customer service, and I complained because I have free update option. They said, that I can not update after 90 days.
    Garmin does not have customer service but they have a rip-off service.
    I wish that no one buys any Garmin products,
    Christopher Lee
    Conway, SC

• St
    Garmin GPS - mis lead
    New Jersey

We purchased a Garmin Gps about 2 years ago soon after we purchased it, it took forever to show a screen and then the pop up came requesting us to download maps. So we thought that was the reason for the screen delay. We purchased the maps and it did not make a difference. Customer service was very defensive and useless they said if we had called as soon as this happend the gps would be under warranty. However, it did not matter if it was 2 days or 2 years the fact is the Gps sucks and mis leads you on thinking you need the map updated in order to get the screen to come up quicker. Bottom line do not purchase map up dates unless you really want them NOT because your gps is not working correctly. Call customer service and pick their brain first. Have caution though because the customer service rep I first spoke with said I needed a new cord, then passed me to a supervisor that said NO you do not need a new cord you have a glitch in the software?????????????????????????????I SAY REALLY? He says yes so download for free the up to date software and I should have no problem...wrong! As of today after downloading the maps and software yesterday the gps is doing the same old crap even worse. DO NOT BUY GARMIN.

• Si
    Garmin Nuvi GPS - Bad Online Business
    Close Out Genius
    Nevada
    Phone: 888-654-3648
    closeoutgenius.com

Ordered 2 Garmin Nuvi 765T GPS at $600, advertised as "In Stock" on 4/20/09.

Received e-mail confirmation stating "minimum two days" of order processing.

Received another e-mail on 4/27/09 stating merchandise are "on a 2~3 week backorder".

Haven't heard anything, so researched Closeout Genius business reputation. Discovered there were many complaints against the business, that it's "bait & switch" or "backorder scam" company, and that they keep changing business names.

Called Customer Service number on 5/5/09. Was told items are on backorder with estimated shipping date. Requested order cancellation and received cancellation e-mail.

I plan to verify with my credit card company on "no charge/reimbursement" tomorrow.

In the mean time, we are delayed with product purchase for 3 weeks needlessly, and hoping my credit card data did not fall into wrong hand. I will be communicating and monitoring purchase transactions with BOA Visa company.

I've had many on-line purchases, and never encountered issue like this. A company such as Closeout Genuis should not be allowed to conduct business, and be proscuted.

Hope this posting helps others who are thinking about on-line purchase with Closeout Genuius - "Buyer Beware"!!

• Li
    Garmin GPS - overselling unnecessary
    The Camera Wiz
    New York
    technodigital.com

Ordered a Garmin 760 GPS for $219 and was told I needed a memory card or it wouldn't work. Asked why when in stores or checking other websites no accessories were indicated as being needed. Informed that theirs were different and wouldn't work without one. I called Garmin support & told not necessary to have card for it to work. Called to explain I wanted to return memory card same day I was waiting for UPS to deliver, and was told I had to get a RA # after I received the items. I tried placing a call Friday pm and couldn't get through to customer service. No answer Sat again. Called Sunday and was told I would have to return both card and GPS, because it was sold as a package. That is not how I ordered it, that's how they typed it up. I have placed a dispute w/ credit card for $79.99 for the memory card. They're selling the GPS too cheap to make any money, so they have to resort to fraudulent sales.

• Ro
      28th of Jul, 2016
    Garmin Nuvi670 - Bad business practices!
    Garmin Nuvi670

Bad, bad, bad! Don't trust or buy anything from these guys! True bait and switch operation. Told me the reason my order was so cheep is because they didn't include the things that should have come with the unit! Tried to make me pay extra for things that come standard. Then got very rude with me when I tried to cancel, then went to name calling.

Do not waste your time with this company!

• Da
      28th of Jul, 2016

I totally agree. I went through the same nonsense with Garmin. Bought a new unit, when I got it home and hooked it to the computer and went to their website it said there was an update for the maps and I have to pay $75 for it. It shouldn't be sitting on the store shelf if it is out of date. I called a couple times to see if I could get the update for free. At least the first update. They wouldn't budge. Finally I got to a point where they said they would give it to me for half price. So I payed it. I requested that they send me the software for the computer to create custom POI's and he told me what they were sending me would do that. Wrong answer! When I got it, it was only the update not the other software which is supposed to be free if you call them. First of all, it should have come packaged with the unit. Horrible company. Money making scammers.

• La
      28th of Jul, 2016

I have another beef with Garmin that others may share. I made two recent purchases from them: a 2009 map update and an adaptor cord. In each case, when my credit card statement came in, I discovered that Garmin had billed me $.50 extra. Not a big deal? It becomes one when you look at your receipt and do NOT see the extra $.50 on it, and then you realize that maybe they're doing this to EVERYONE. Then it becomes a big deal. Would be interested to know if anyone else experienced this overcharge on their credit card statement. It's so small, people may not even notice it, but I did and am wondering who else they've done this to.

• 4j
    Garmin Nuvi - 260W
    Garmin

Having owned a GPS III, a GPS 196 and GPS 296 I Purchased a Garmin Nuvi in 2009. Just got a letter recalling the unit and sent it in. After a little over week got the unit back with a sincere applology for the inconvenance-- I asked Customer service about a one time map upgrade as the new units now sell for less and come with free lifetime upgrades. I explained that I though that was fair for having to live without my garmin for a week and that the cost to them was obviously much less than the $49 or $89 (lifetime) that I was locked into. Their Attitue was "too bad" pay us the 49 or 89 and leave us alone. So it looks like this POC will be on Craig's list soon and I'll use my smart phone to take its palce for free. I promise to share my story with plenty of folks as I want them to get the full advertising value of their decision! Your milage may vary but based on thir indignat attitude I will no longer buy from Garmin.

• Ia
    Garmin 755T - Maps
    Newcastle
    New South Wales
    Australia

I have a Nuvi 755T and my complaint is not so much about the unit as the mapping.
    Firstly, I was on a semi major highway in Victoria and couldn't believe how far out the unit was. For several kilometres it had the road about half a kilometre away in a paddock. I know for certain that the road has been in that position for two decades.
    Next I went to get European maps for an upcoming trip and found you could get them for $99...if you're based in America. In Australia, where I live, exactly the same download costs $139 and the Aussie dollar was stronger at the time of writing.
    I complained and the main gist of the reply was "General business factors drive our pricing as they do for any business in Australia for example, market size, labor rates, logistics and warehousing and IT infrastructure etc. " which I found unsatisfactory for a download that probably comes from America on line anyway though I don't know that.
    Cheers all

• Az
    Garmin USA - RIPOFF
    Garmin

My GPS was stolen. Garmin cannot turn it off so all of our friends' and our home info is on there. I bought lifetime maps and they will not transfer them to a new device for free. You must pay 50% of the cost. I also submitted a question online and got a response with another individuals' personal information, name, address, phone number, email, serial # and username. The manager tried telling me you could get that in a phonebook and after 15 mins of arguing with me about it, he said he would "look into it". His name is Sean. We shall see. I'll never buy from them again. Did I mention it was a 55 minute conversation? 20 of which was actually on the phone with unhelpful customer service.

• Ak
    Garmin Nuvi 250 - VERY RUDE AND UNPROFESSIONAL
    TOPCHOICEDIGITAL
    Philadelphia
    Pennsylvania
    topchoicedigital.com

Hi,

They should change their webiste and company to "BADCHOICEDIGITAL.COM", I have never seen such a company who are so rude and unprofessional.I purchased 2 Garmin Nuvi 250 Gps on 13th of Jan 2009 from topchoicedigital.com, Order number: T1249476. All of sudden my order was canceled just like that, So i went to their website to check the status of my order and i was completely surprised to know that my order was not available but my items were available at their website for higher prices now. I called them and was directed to several extension and was on hold for more then 45 mins. Never recommend this website to any of my friends and relatives nor my worst enemies. This people are devils and criminals and their website should be closed anyhow on anysituation.