gardner kansas utility / excessive late fees

1 120 e main streetGardner, KS, United States Review updated:
Phone: 913-856-7535

I find it amazing how many of my neighbors, co workers, and friends that live in Gardner Kansas have mentioned how incredibly expensive the electricity is in Gardner. We lived in a town not far, Overland Park, and were not paying nearly as much, for a bigger home with less ventilation(as it was an older home)as we are paying in Gardner Kansas. We feel stuck, trapped, as we feel they can get away with charging an arm and a leg to have airconditioning, as we have no other options here. Not to mention, with the economy the way it is now, they seem to have only gotten harder on people. If you cannot pay when the bill is due, not only do you get a 15 dollar late fee, you also get a 10% penalty. I know I am far from being alone in my feelings. It states on the bill you have 15 calendar days from the date of mailing of the delinquency notice to pay this before they shut it off. One, they do not allways give you the full 15 days. I could prove this. also, when they come to shut it off, there is no knock on the door, a man just throws a big red piece of paper as hard as he can against your door and leaves. Almost impossible to even get the tape off of the door without peeling off paint with it as they use some strong blue tape. If it was only myself feeling this way I might not say anything, but it is many people. It is handled with the upmost disrespect! One day, after it had rained, one of our neighbors had red ink dripping from there door, where the red paper had been. Sad. she repainted it. The tactics are humiliating and very aggressive. The way a bully might treat someone.

Ti

Comments

• 41
      1st of May, 2009

We average 500 a month for electric and water in Gardner. We installed new windows and a new high efficiency furnace/central air system which didn't seem to make that big of a dent in the bill. There is no recycling drop of for anything but paper so we drive 40 min round trip to take our recycling to Olathe, and the city council cancelled citywide cleanup day.

They are putting in a big industrial area one mile away from the main residential areas. My heart has gone out from living in Gardner. We could have chose any place in the city to live and we regret our choice to move to Gardner. I could go on and on but I am trying to focus on the positive. In a nutshell, living in Gardner has been a sad, depressing and frustrating experience falling far short of the promises, expectations, and facade that the city presents.