GardenAdvice.co.uk / fraud

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Warning to all freelancers - everywhere in the world - do not work for Tim Whitcombe, alias Adam Wilson (and others). Portal website: gardenadvice.co.uk - sole director of Green Gardener Limited. He recruits from global market places such as Odesk. 1) He does not pay - whatever your specialism: content writer; web developer; video/film specialist and so forth. 2) He is bankrupt (check Insolvency Register or London Gazette) and has a personal bankruptcy record as far back as 1991. 3) He has had at least 2 companies that have gone into liquidation, the last being Garden Advice Media Limited. The accounts for his present company Green Gardener Limited, are overdue (Companies House). He has a number of other wordpress sites, such as Wild River Diaries. Do not be taken in. He has a record of fraud and deception. 4) He also uses good office addresses which he has not paid for.

Cass

Em

More GardenAdvice.co.uk Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Dy
      21st of Dec, 2010

I unfortunately fell for this thief's lies before it was too late.

Mr Tim Whitcombe of Graden Advice owes me over £1, 300.00 for freelance web development work that I completed fo rhim and I will be taking him to court.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me regarding this matter, you can do so by email at:
    dylan (at) cothill (dot) me

I hope no-one else falls for this sad excuse for a human's decieving ways.

Dylan Cothill
    www.cothill.me

• Va
      18th of Aug, 2011

I did some freelance writing for him, about eight hours work. He promised me work, about twenty hours per week. He did not come up with the goods and now owes me through Elance. He's a big talker, but that's about all. Work for him at your peril, a timewaster and a fraud.

30th of Aug, 2011

Hi Valleysboyo, I fell for exactly the same thing. But now, as with you, I expect he is targeting people away from UK and Europe. All I can tell you is that he is bankrupt, (over and over) owes thousands in Britain and elsewhere, has done time for fraud and deception and is still being watched by the police in Britain, which doesn't help us much.

• El
      5th of Sep, 2011

Thank you both for posting this. Have you both filed disputes with Elance? They are recommending that I do that, but I am a bit fearful. I have a great reputation on Elance and don't want to see it destroyed by this con man. I did start my own investigation on him when we started talking because he was making some enormous claims, like connections to Apple, Microsoft, BP, the New York Times, the BBC, and other major companies. Now he's trying to get me to write 100 articles a week for him and organize this elaborate scheme. Apparently he just keeps doing this. Garden Advice Media went under in early 2010, so then he started the Green Gardener, which went under in late 2010. Now his company is Adam Wilson Garden Associates. It sounds like every time the company goes under, the insolvency court lets the web domain go and he just buys it back repeatedly under a new name.

• Ga
      19th of Sep, 2011

I did make a dispute on Elance but alas I did not use the hourly system so they cannot do anything. I strongly urge you to file a dispute because he can be banned from using the site if people apart from me are having problems. Still claimed to me that all the BBC etc are true - I truly cannot figure out what is true, what is elaboration and what is false.

11th of Oct, 2011

Believe me, garden writer, nothing this man says is true. But he is very, very plausible - I fell for it just like you - and we are only sprats compared to some of the people he's conned. His latest scam I see, is to pull in punters on a gardening franchise - I hope nobody has fallen for that one - or "our garden in Barbados" - he hasn't even got a small balcony garden in England let alone anywhere else.

• He
      20th of May, 2012

What is he trying to achieve?

• Ju
      6th of Aug, 2012

Have now experienced this for myself. This fellow is still going, still extorting and still running away without making payment

• Ih
      27th of Sep, 2012

This man is now is prison - He is a vile creature and I hope he gets what he deserves. If anyone ever comes into contact with him again - DO NOT trust this man. You willl not get a service or get paid from this man - or this company!!

5th of Oct, 2012

"This man is now in prison" - I would add the word "again"! Nice to see justice being done again. He owes me over £6K for work I did for him back on 2006! When I "investigated" him I found a trail of bancruptcy, failed companies and a long, long list of people and companies that were out of pocket ( well into the £100k's 6 years ago so who knows what total he has racked up by 2012 ). What I didnt know when I worked for him that he was "on the run" having failed to turn up for sentencing for a previous conviction and there was a crown court warrant out for him. I can only reiterate previous comments - and mention bargepoles!

5th of Oct, 2012

"I hate Tim Whitcombe" - please make contact. We are all in the same boat - but too much secrecy simply helps this man's activities. He feeds on freelancers like us (from all over the world) - Get in touch and perhaps we can all present a solid and united case.

• Ih
      20th of Oct, 2012

Update - he's updating the blog on the website so he's obviously selling links - which means he's out of prison for the moment (he'll just disappear again) He should be ashamed of himself, he's messed up a lot of things for people, leaving them in debt. Has anyone had their work used and served him with a cease and desist notice? Please let me know. Thanks

21st of Oct, 2012

I dont think he knows the word "ashamed". I don't think he is in prison either, but even if he were, it would not stop him posting onto his website. We all need to get together and bring that site down. Google has changed its interface to the extent that I can't even find where to post any kind of message let alone a complaint about a fraudulent site. So if any of you were to contact me, maybe we could present a more solid front.

21st of Oct, 2012

sorry - my message went up twice and I can't edit one of them out

• Ta
      12th of Jan, 2013

He nearly had me last year but I thought it was too good to be true so didn't show up for 'work' after googling him my jaw hit the floor. He was operating out of the Electric Works in sheffield

• Fi
      3rd of Mar, 2014

I've been offered work by tim whitcombe of gardenadvice. can i get in touch with one of you to chat?

8th of Mar, 2014

finbar don't take the job. The complaints here are genuine. I can give you more details if you contact me

• Pe
      21st of Jun, 2015

I got conned by this low life to survey some offices. He seemed genuine at first and then as I got to know him neither I nor my wife felt he was for real, maybe not even on our planet! Needless to say I chased the account and found he had bailed from his offices without paying. I asked a friend who specialises in debt recovery to look into him and it transpired he has been bankrupted more than once. The chances of finding him and recovering any funds were likely to be low and costly and so, as I only lost my time, I put it down to experience and moved on, but I have 6 years to get him, so he had better lie low. He ought to be locked up, and I would happily throw away the key!

• Ia
      1st of Nov, 2017

Is anyone still looking for Tim. I have also been coned but I have an idea of where he now is.

5th of Nov, 2018

Timothy Charles Whitcombe has a history of bankruptcies and fraud. He tried to rent my cottage, in the Colchester Essex area last week. Still using Garden Advice .com also Climate Light. Spurious story about growing plants as head gardener for retail sale at a prestigious house in the area. Luckily credit checks highlighted a problem...then I found this amongst a load of other stuff ! He’s not as clever as he thinks.