Galla Cattery / Overcharged for poor quality sick kitten and would not take back

1 toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I had an excellent experience with her once with a cat I purchased so I went back again to purchase a second cat as a friend for my first. I paid 1000 dollars and saw pics of the kitten. When I picked up the kitten he was sneezing but I didn't think anything of it. As he grew over the weeks it became clear he was sick with snot coming out of his nose. I paid 300 dollars to have tests and more money for medication. When I told Tanya about the sneezing she said he was fine when he left, which was not true, but shows her character. I told her everyone was remarking that he has a big nose for a persian and i told her i was concerned because he was starting to look different from my other cat she bred. She told me his nose would change as he grew. That was a lie. Its clear now the kitten she sold me is poor quality for a persian--he has a big nose--and i paid top dollar for this kitten and expected to get a high quality cat. When I complained several times that the kitten was very sick and not the quality i expected for the money she didn't care at all and would not exchange the kitten. she told me i had 48 hours to return the cat and that was it...but it took me more time to realize the cat was sick with an infection and was not high quality as I expected...very disappointed and not a reputable breeder. she is only interested in making money. I could have paid a fraction of the cost for this kitten to any backyard breeder but i went to her for a show quality cat. I did NOT get a show quality cat. Very disappointed.

Re
Aug 16, 2015

More Galla Cattery Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ro
      9th of Sep, 2015

Hello, Sorry to hear about your kitten.

I also bought a cat from her. We put him down at 10 months old he was so sick and suffering. After everything we went through and the money on appointments and surgeries we did not opt for an autopsy. I am curious if you had any answers from your testing on what may be wrong with your boy?
    We have a 6 month old kitten now she gave us as a replacement after our boy died and want to see if you have any answers incase it may be something that is running throughout the cattery?

29th of Oct, 2015

Am going through the same thing myself right now, my kitten died a horrible death a month after I got it, I have it documented by vet, but she will still do nothing, loves that 48 hr clause, if you buy a cat with a health guarantee why would you run to the vet within 48 hrs with it. Someone has to stop this woman. Has offered me a kitten I do not want, or nothing.

2nd of Nov, 2015

Hi Michele, my kitten had Feline Infectious Peritonitis, her belly started, swelling about 2 weeks after I got her, had her at vets 3 times, at first because she was too tiny, and wasn't playful, when they finally had to put her down her belly was completely full of fluid, and she was too sick to save. Apparently, it is passed to the kittens by the mother, and some are, immune and some aren't, obviously mine wasn't. It was a heartbreaking ordeal. Obviously I did not want another, cat, and, have, exchanged over 100 e-mails with this woman, and she has a heart of stone, no money, just a kitten, which is a pretty scary prospect at this point., however after turning down a few, she has offered me one that, looks strong and healthy, so I have agreed to take it just to end my association with her. How have you made out, are you taking another kitten. Obviously this has turned out to be an expensive undertaking, and she will accept no blame for that either.

• Ni
      13th of Nov, 2015

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear of all your losses this is so sad. I am in the process of getting a cat from her, he appears healthy extreme face orange tabby boy... i dont live in canada i live outside in california but I'm scared to go through with it because of your stories... losing an animal is heartbreaking.. and I just couldn't do it since I recently lost a cat...
    She sent me pictures updated of the cat..he looks good...but I won't really know because I'm far... but how old were your cats when you got them? This cat I believe is over 12 weeks.. did you check right away for the fip or did she give a cert? I have sent no money or contract yet... but this could have much baring on if I go through with the purchase... your comments are much appreciative...

14th of Nov, 2015

Hello again... It was a hard decision for us as well to take on another cat from her, it was the only option she gave us as well. We also believe that our cat died from FIP, but we didn't have the test done to prove it. His belly was also very swollen and he had stopped eating and playing as well. His Kidneys were misshapen and his bladder and spleen were also enlarged. As horrible as it was, our little girl now is completely healthy and we love her so much. No Cat... I hope the new kitten is healthy like our second girl, it was hard for me to decide as well but I am now glad I have her. The first few months will be nerve wrecking like ours was I'm sure at every vet visit, but it gets easier. Get pet insurance! At least for the first year. Trupanion is very good! Nikjo... You get a healthy kitten report when you get the kitten. If you go ahead with it be sure to get the 48 hour check just in case. But it is a very dumb clause in the contract. As our vet told us when a kitten changes environments, most illnesses will not be seen as they cover up their feelings well and need time to adjust and get comfortable before they show discomfort. All the vets we saw said they would have never caught his illness any sooner than they did. I hope it works out for you if you proceed. If they are healthy, they are beautiful cats!

16th of Nov, 2015

Horrible experience with this woman

16th of Nov, 2015

Hello, I also purchased a kitten at the beginning of September, by mid October she started displaying illness, her belly swelled and was diagnosed with Wet FIP, we had to have our little baby put down exactly eight weeks from the day of having her join our family. the owner offered me another kitten, one that was 4 months old and fully vaccinated, I picked her up on Saturday, I questioned health and if any other kittens had been diagnosed with FIP she said all other kittens from litter had been fine, and seemed shocked our kitten had developed the illness, last night I came online to find all of these reports, she lied to my face. I did take this kitten to the vet today, unfortunately there is no way to determine if she too will become ill, so it's going to be a stressful time. In a side note- she did offer to take our first kitten back when I said she was ill, I said no, she is part of our family and will stay with us until she passes, when I was talking to her on the weekend and mentioned he had our kitty cremated she looked at me as if I was crazy and said "I told you I would take kitten back, why pay?! You bury her in garden or park". It was all very cold and heartless sounding. This woman shouldn't be allowed to have these kittens or sell them.

16th of Nov, 2015

Thank you for writing, I am terrified to get this new kitten, it is older and looks healthy in the pics, but am afraid to love it just in case, of course, once I see her I am sure I will fall in love with her. All my other cats lived to healthy old ages, so this was a complete surprise to have this happen. I am hoping for, the best. I don't get her for another week, so will hope I am as lucky with her as you are.
    I had already spent so much on vet bills that I didn't do an autopsy either, , however had two vets tell me they were sure of what it was, and her belly was absolutely full of fluid. Tania went so, far as to suggest maybe I got a street cat to pass off on her or perhaps my home was dirty, after this I never want to hear of this woman again. Should, have looked up complaints before I bought a kitten from her.

16th of Nov, 2015

We felt the same. Picked our new kitten up and was glad our association with her was now over! When I picked up the new kitten she also told me that Red cats must not suit our home and that we should hang crosses in hopes that this cat does well. She also said that my kitten that passed may have caught something from my other cat or my vet and that I should get a new vet. Not sure what she is unable to accept about what is happening. It is nothing you and I did that's for sure! By the sounds of it, like us, you did everything you possibly could have. I looked for complaints before we bought our boy and couldn't find anything. This is the first complain board I have found. Wish something was posted sooner! I hope that it all works out for you.

16th of Nov, 2015

Thanks for the good wishes, hope that Nikjo changes her mind and gets one elsewhere. Let's hope she goes out of business soon. They shouldn't be allowed to register with all these cat Associations, I called both and they said, they can do nothing.

• Bi
      17th of Nov, 2015

Complaints have been made to the CCA. They are looking into this breeder

• Pr
      17th of Nov, 2015

Thank you so much I'm so glad I found this site. I have been in discussions with Tania to pick up a kitty this weekend. Our family just said bye to our beautiful Persian we've had for years and we would not be able to handle another loss. It's was hard to even get to this point of looking for a new kitty. I did find it strange that I have asked her to provide the details of the health guarantees in 3 emails and she has not addressed the question yet. Again I can't thank you enough for starting this review. You have possibly saved our family from another loss.

17th of Nov, 2015

I'm glad you found the site too, , hopefully you will not go through with getting a kitten from her. I have agreed to take another kitten because she would not return my money, not to mention the fortune I spent at the vet. I am terrified to do so, but must have faith at this point. I know, how you feel, my cat died a, year ago at 16, and it took me over a year to feel ready again, totally fell in love with new kitten, only to have it die after a month, and by, the looks of it, I am not alone. I'm sure, there are a lot of reputable breeders out there, wish I had done more research. I totally agree, I was furious with the woman even before I got my kitten, but she had my, deposit, so had to go, through with it. She never addresses your questions, , backtracks on what she says, whatever you do, do not sign that 48 hr clause, , she uses it to get out of doing the right thing if the time comes. Good luck on your search for a, new kitten

• Dj
      23rd of Nov, 2015

Woman are you insane? There are cats & kittens being killed every day in your city's local animal shelter because no one wants to adopt them, and your genius self spends a THOUSAND DOLLARS on a kitten from some nutty breeder?!?! These unscrupulous places will always be in business as long as there's marks out there with more money than sense.

• Cr
      23rd of Nov, 2015

Guys, don't deal with this breeder. Contact the CFA (Cat Fancers Assoc.) to let them know. Something tells me she' snot registered. Do you have papers? There is a person who bred Persians in California. She has (kinda) gotten out of it but she may be able to tell you of some reputable breeders. I know there is at least one breeder from Atlanta I've heard decent things about. Check out the YouTube channel Mythic Bells Persians. It's worth it just to enjoy the videos. She is also on Facebook under MythicBells. I wish she was still breeding. She won't speak negatively of other catteries and sold hers as pets (reared underfoot). But she is wonderful. I hope she or someone on the page can give you some references for good breeders. I' expectations had three Persians and know the heartbreak of loss, along with the joy of their love.

• Cr
      23rd of Nov, 2015

Also, you can take her to small claims court and, if you have had a recent transaction, get the bank, credit card company or Paypal to reverse the charges under fraud.

23rd of Nov, 2015

I did call a paralegal today about starting proceedings for small claims court, they said to inform her, which I did, she now says she will return my money since I do not want the kitten she offered me, told me she would sell that kitten and then pay me, however my legal rep said it is, not my fault she has a year old kitten unsold, did not know it was that old when she offered it to me, the picture she sent was of it as a kitten, more deceit. We have given her two weeks to return money, if she does, not do so, we will begin the process. It should never have come to this, but at this point I will go ahead with case if I have to. An honest breeder would have been upset this happened, returned money, ceased breeding and do everything they could to make sure this never happened again.

• Mi
      2nd of Dec, 2015

It was only when I came across this board was I ever thankful I had done my research. Thank you to all who have posted on this board and making the public aware of GallaCattery behaviours - recently it was disclosed and confirmed over the phone and email the vaccinations would be completed on her latest litter of kittens. However, when asked for records, Tania simply returned my deposit. Records of immunization were needed for city registration as well. It is unfortunate Tania is taking this risk and potentially putting unknown health liability on innocent families - vaccines are so very important for the health of these animals. If you have recently purchased or plan to purchase a kitten from Gallacattery, I highly recommend following up on what she promises - including proof of vaccines.

2nd of Dec, 2015

I finally got my money back, but had to call a lawyer to get it, I am so glad my association with this woman is over. Will be sure and do more research before I get another one.

• Xo
      27th of Dec, 2015

I bought a cream kitten from her for the first time earlier in November (2015), so to be completely fair things may or may not have been different before then. He was healthy and Tania was very forthcoming. After reading this forum I was extremely worried that I put down the deposit. However after meeting her, speaking with her in person, and asking for her vaccination records I left fairly content. The kitten has grown a little and so far has been very active, albeit a little loquacious. I'm happy with both her kitten and her service. If I ever needed more than one cat, I'd get another from Tania because I absolutely love the look of the breeds she sells. In particular, the flat face of my little Charly. I must warn though that she speaks broken English and that may have caused some degree of miscommunication for some of the above complaints, but I can't speak for them. Hope this helps put some perspective. Those who had terrible experiences would pile on in this forum while those who had satisfactory experiences would remain silent so I felt the need to share mine. But as the original poster made clear it's clearly hit or miss. Best of luck, No cat, I'd have hated it if my kitten died :(