Gala Hotels / gala hotel customer service

Istanbul, Turkey

My sister and I have booked two night in a Copenhagen Gala Hotel, and - due to insecurities about dates and length of stay - we chose NOT to go for the non-refundable option, but the second best price, which was a "Life Happens insurance" - to be sure we could make amendments to our booking.

So - life happens. And we are only able to stay one night, instead of two - and therefor get in touch with customer service.
And we are shocked, that the reply is; "You have booked a non-refundable price, and there is no change or refund allowed"!????
So - why did we pay around 20 GbP fee more than the non-refundable, to get this "security"?
This really feels like cheating a customer, and we are deeply disappointed - and I´m questioning the legal side of this.

For the future - I´ll just stay away from the Gala Hotel chain! VERY poor customer service, and doesn't´t feel like a serious company at all. (No idea where this customer service is located - all answers are in English, but the hotel is in Denmark.)

Not sure if anyone will read this, but if it really reached anyone in customer service - I can only hope that you will sort this out, and leave a better impression of your chain. Booking res no; [protected]

Head Office :
[censored]amusta Free Port and Zone Post Office No:365, Northern Cyprus
Head Office Turkey: Gulbahar Mh. Harmanyolu Ust Sk. Meric Plaza No:10/5 Mecidiyekoy Istanbul - TR 34394

We