Gadget Express Newark Airport / Overcharged for Apple IPOD Classic

1 Liberty AirportNewark, NJ, United States Review updated:

Whilst in transite through Newark Airport I purchased an Apple IPOD Classic from Gadget Express. I was charged $374.49 on my CC which I found out later was more than $100 over the normal Apple retail price.

Peter Bailey
Southampton UK
peterb_email@yahoo.com

Comments

• St
      10th of Apr, 2010

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM UNTIL I LOOKED AT MY RECEIPT FUNNY ENOUGH THE IPOD DOES NOT COME WITH A WALL OUTLET WITCH I GOT FROM GADGET EXPRESS NOR DOES IT COME WITH A CASE WITCH I GOT FROM THEM AS WELL. I ALSO GOT A CAR CHARGER AND PAID $ 379.49 I WAS READY TO COMPLAIN AND CALL TO RAISE HELL !!! BUT WHEN I WENT TO THE APPLE WEBSITE AND SAW I WOULD OF PAID MORE. I WAS THEN RELIEVED TO FIND I GOT A GOOD BUNDLE PRICE FROM THEM WITCH ALSO INCLUDED THE TAX WITCH I CAME TO RELISE NJ HAS HIGH TAXES AND NY WAS EVEN WORSE NOT USE TO THOSE TAXES. GADGET EXPRESS TIP FOR YOU MATES ITEMIZE YOUR RECEIPT A LITTLE BETTER BECAUSE ITS KINDA CONFUSING I THOUGHT I WAS RIPED OFF WHEN I WASNT

• Ou
      14th of Aug, 2010

completely agreed! I was charged 330 for an olympus camera that was 230 in amazon. Plus 90 for a memory that was 33 again in amazon.

This place is a RIP OFF

• Ou
      14th of Aug, 2010

We should alert people not to approach Gadget Express in Newark, ever, post it in you facebook to save you friends the bad experience

21st of Sep, 2010

how i wish i had known about others experience .was charged 399$ for a £64 camera and $169 for a 4 g memory card this morning. I really thought the person was being helpful as I was not well up on new technology and asked for advice. I thought they would have to be ethical enough to be allowed to operate in the airport. is there anywhere I can log a complaint?

• Sh
      12th of Oct, 2010

On Sat Oct. 9th I approached the round counter in terminal c near the food court looking for a pay as you go mobile phone for my holidays. The assistant seemed knowledgeable and suggested I bought a sim card. As I know in UK, sim cards are usually free or for nominal fee, I went along with this. I said I would take $25 minutes credit. I went to pay with my card and he said only cash, so I withdrew some cash and returned. He told me total was $130!! I about choked! $25 sim card with credit had transformed into $130! I told hm absolutely no, and to remove the sim card he activated. He did some drama saying that this is not now possible (I was willing for him to call police if needed)..to cut the story short, he said breakdown was $25 credit, $60 ''activation fee'' (ie scam) $45 sim card. Eventually I agreed on $80 as I needed the sim card, still a rip off as I subsequently see that T-mobile charge $0 for a sim card. Is there a trading standards agency I can lodge a complaint to or an airport agency?

• Co
      24th of Apr, 2011

On 04/21/2011 I forgot my iPad charger and Gadget Express was the only stop I could quickly buy one. It was overly expensive $42.80 (usually it costs $10 to $30) and worked only 2 min., after closer look I noticed that the receipt reads: no refunds or exchanges. I am very annoyed and frustrated. The store should be kept responsible for its merchandise. Same question: anyway to complain to a airport agency? I want my money back and after reading what other customer experience I want to see the store close.

• Tn
      19th of Nov, 2012

Total rip off. Please dont go there. I got a JVC headphones for my long air trip, and I know it was my fault not checking web prices, but they sold me the headphones with a 160% extra profit. No way to return it. They dont have return policy.

• Pe
      13th of Dec, 2012

I had an awful experience with this store, too. The salesman told me I was buying something "on sale." When I got home, I discovered that he charged me double or triple what I could buy it from on the internet.

I would stay away from this place. Never again! Losers.

27th of Apr, 2013

I too have been ripped off. I purchased a camera from them and a memory card. I was told that they were the only electronics shop in the terminal. Although I had time to look around, I figured that they wouldn't lie and state something as such. Low and behold, as I walked towards my gate, I noticed another electronics shop. I went in and to my surprise, they sold the same exact camera for $120 less and the memory card was cheaper as well. I tried to take the camera back to Gadget and they pointed out their no returns policy on the receipt. My guess is that they know they are ripping people off and have this policy set in place so they don't have to cater to the customer but to themselves. Needless to say, they refused to give me a refund. I really don't know how these people sleep at night.

I did however find a sign in the terminal that stated "Always A Fair Price". I beg to differ. There was a number that I took down and an email address. Says if you feel you've been overcharged to call 800-490-3355 or email fairprice@westfield.com.

Buyer's Beware. I will never step foot into that establishment ever again.

• Gr
      18th of May, 2013

I walked in to Gadget Express in Newark Airport and they had all up to date electronics, I purchased a camera that I really like it came with all the accessories and more. The sales rep was very knowledgeable go Gadget Express!!!

• Gr
      18th of May, 2013

I purchased a Sony Camcorder from Gadget Express and the thing stop working after 3 months i called the store 973-273-0003 and spoke to a sales rep and he replaced it with no question asked... Great customer service, , , if anyone has a problem with anything call the store they will help you..

• Wa
      4th of Jun, 2013

I purchased a NX80 noisehush headphone here for $120 thinking I was getting a premium head set. Got home and found same for $25 on the internet and other sellers. This place is a complete ripoff. I do understand some extra markup in an airport last minute location but this is outrageous. Lesson learnt. I will make a complaint to the airport authority as well.

• Sh
      11th of Jun, 2013

I've purchased headphones at Gadget Express Newark Airport and had a great salesman explaining the product and a fair retail price for somebody in rush needing this headphones at the airport ! Some weeks later I had a warranty problem with this headphones - but the called sales manager of Gadget Express (973-272-0003) was very kind and helpful, so he made me a happy customer.

• Ti
      2nd of Jul, 2013

I bought a set of Noontec headphones in April and did have an issue too. I contacted the airport authority who in turn had the manager from the Gadget Express contact me directly. I have to say that they were helpful and were able to resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

• He
      8th of Jul, 2013

My cellphone broke down and I had to buy a new one while we were on vacation and had still 3 weeks to go. Bought a new Samsung at Gadget Express on EWR and payed $375, when we came back to Europe I had to find out that I could have bought the cellphone for $165. So I overpayed $210. Another problem is that Samsung Europe does not give me any warranty over things bought in the USA. They claim that Samsung USA and Samsung Europe are two different businesses and so no warranty. My wifi is constantly disconnected after 5 minutes and as I already told; no warranty for that hardware problem. Can you image a multinationaal like Samsung divide their warranties. I hope you can read/understand my English.

• La
      2nd of Aug, 2013

It is quite amazing, this place hadn't been shut down by the port authority. They are crooks, and should be avoided at all cost. I bought a mini projektor for USD1500 and found the same product (different packaging) for 300 dollars. Stay Away - and the port needs to take a closer look, show responsibility and close them down.

• As
      7th of Oct, 2013

I Purchased a Galaxy tab 2 from Gadget Express, Booth no. 111, at terminal C3.when I arrived India I found a sticker on the box of the Samsung Tab 2 which states that “Imported and marketed by Samsung India Electronics Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi”. It is surprising that there is no sticker on the box which states about the information of US importer. I feel the product is a smuggled one and shouldn’t be sold in US. Another thing which gives my doubt a strong weight is that the Box seal was tempered and inside the original plastic foil containing Samsung logo is replaced with a fully transparent plastic foil so that it could give look of used product while smuggling. I strongly believe that this booth is indulge in illegal activity and has no right to operate in US. This booth is tarnishing the image of US among international travellers.

I feel cheated as all the products (mentioned in Cash memo) were sold to me at the double or more than double the prise in India and I lost nearly 350USD extra and the product looks as the used one. Later on when I searched Google to know the email address of this store so that I could report my grievance to it, I was surprised to see that there are Nemours review of this store on goggle which revels about the crookedness of this store.
    As a foreigner I wrote my grevance to Newark Airport Police dept a number of time. but no reply received from their end. i am still waitng for their response and hope that one day justice will take place.

27th of Dec, 2013

The dude working this kiosk was such an ### I almost punched him in the face and accepted missing my flight. I will personally file complaints to every consumer site and the BBB with hopes this douche gets fired and goes back to his miserable existence.

• Cu
      30th of Dec, 2013

I had the same experience last night, 12/29/13 @ 6 pm. The iPhone charger I had bought didn't work on my phone. I went back to return the item and the sales person ended up screaming at me. He was very aggressive and rude. I couldn't believe he would yell at a customer, let alone a woman. I left the kiosk almost in tears. Based on the previous review, it appears that we're dealing with the same guy. I do hope Gadget Express will take a disciplinary action on this employee as his behavior is inappropriate and shouldn't be tolerated.

• Mr
      2nd of Jan, 2014

Product -Samsung smart camera WB250F

Title - Complaint regarding mis selling and over charging on Samsung products.

Firstly Happy new year. Today I purchased a Samsung camera from a store (Gadget express 1) at Newark international airport, the address and phone number are below in the receipt picture attached. As I was unfamiliar with cameras I knew I wanted a Samsung galaxy 16megapixal camera as advised by a friend who highly recommended your products. I believed this store could offer me the service I wanted as they had a selection of Samsung products. After being told this camera was in fact a 16megapixal camera I was looking for and that $300
    price tag was the best deal I paid for the purchase only to notice they had taken $470.78 from my account as seen in the receipt below. Once I questioned this and that the camera seemed over priced and not what we agreed on/wanted I looked online and seen on your website it was $199.99 I went back into the store 10 minutes after purchasing and asked for a refund as I felt mis sold only to be told " they do not expect refunds or exchanges and I need to take this up with the manufacture" which says below on the receipt. I am deeply upset I have been mis sold and although I know this isn't Samsungs issue I have no where else to turn. Surely this isn't the correct way to treat customers especially a Samsung customer and that dealing with Gadget express 1 store there needs to be better regulations to ensure no other Samsung customer is treated this way. I feel like I've had my bank account raped and my pants pulled down. I have written to international trading standards and sent complaint e mails to Samsung regarding this company selling their products.

Sent from my iPhone