GAAP / No tax refund neither any proof of filing

1 74-09 37th Avenue Ste. 306EJackson Heights, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (201)707-2293

I had filed my taxes for the year 2007 through these people. The consultant: Iqbal Haqim informed me that I would get a couple of thousands back as my refund. All this happened in the month of February 2008. If all had gone well I would have got back my money by now. I had to travel back to India in March 2008. He told me that he would fax me the papers. But until now I have neither got the papers nor the money. I am tired of calling him. He has already taken the tax filing charges from me. What do I do?

Re

Comments

• Dr
      19th of Jun, 2008

Smart people never file tax.

• Av
      21st of Jul, 2008

I have faced the exact same problem when I filed my taxes for 2007 through Iqbal Hakim of GAAP accounting. I have also not received any copy of the returns filing after being assured that it would be faxed to me, this is after the filing charges already being taken from me.

My taxes were rejected by the IRS and I do not have the returns filing statement to re-file them . I have tried multiple times to contact Iqbal / “GAAP accounting and tax services” offices but have not heard any response as of yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Kr
      7th of Aug, 2008

I too have the same issue with these guys... I never heard back from them about my filing stmt...

NEVER EVER file taxes with these guys (Iqbal Haqim)

• Ab
      9th of Aug, 2008

I have been sending mails to Iqbal for last 2 yrs..but this guy has never responded to any of my e-mails.
    I try his number and it reaches his voice mail.
    But some time back I got a change to talk to this cheater and he assured me tht I'll get my money back..but till day I have not received anything...and once again his number is not reachable.
    Can we do anything to prevent him from running away with out hard earned money..raising a complaint with some authority or with police? any thots?

• Ze
      29th of Sep, 2008

This guy charged me $200 and never processed my taxes for year 2007...People we put trust in these people considering they are our own...and see what they do to you. Please file your complain with better bussiness bureau www.bbb.org so that they can atleast get a negative rating for what they are doing. Thanks

• Ud
      22nd of Dec, 2008

This guy charged me 350 bucks to file my returns, i got the tax returns but he never mailed me tax filing papers after being contacting him number of times. Now i have received notice from IRS to pay penalty for the returns he filed.

• Ka
      2nd of Feb, 2009

I had the same problem as udaybhasker. I am going to amend the 2007 tax with a new CPA.

• To
      25th of Feb, 2009

GAAP Accounting is the most horrible tax consultants, They lie all the time, screw up with your tax returns. Will not provide you any papers whatsover and will be absolutely untraceable after April 15th. Been there, done that with them for past 5 years and speaking based on personal experience. Mr. Iqbal is a sweet talker but lies all the time. His standard answers are ... your papers are ready, will call you up tonight. Working on your case only etc... etc ...

I would personally advice people to avoid them, even if they claim to get higher tax returns dont torcher yourself for few extra dollar, if you get audited ... they wont stand behdind you, you cant even trace them. I had few friends from whom they said they have filed taxes, but turns out they didnt.

AVOID THEM AT ALL COST.

• Su
      9th of Apr, 2009
    GAAP - TAX
    GAAP

Hii I`m from TCS and I`ve worked in tcs and most of my collegues have filed tax with the GAAP Accounting and tax services. I got my refund on time. And I`m happy with their work.They are excellent and they have done good job for all of us. regards,

• We
      15th of Apr, 2009

Yes ma'am. This guy does an amazing job, not with filing taxes, but with fooling the tax payer and the IRS. The unrealistic refund he got you does not make him good at his job rather puts you at risk. Most Indians living in the US do not understand the IRS tax laws. Of course am not advocating that you follow the rules down to the core but there are certain limits. Mr. Iqbal Hakim exceeds those limits beyond imagination. Now prizes for guessing why - he charges close to 10% of your returns. Am sure he is on the IRS tax preparer susceptible list.

Your tax filing being accepted or you getting a big refund back doesn't mean you are safe. Although chances being minimal but still, the IRS can audit you even after three years or more (you are probably safe if you are back in India) and then you will be in trouble because you don't have anything to prove the deductions Mr. Hakim has made on the 1040. I bet you aren't even aware of what he has done. You got the money and you are now happy.

I would advise everyone to take a look at some basic ground rules IRS has laid down. If you plan to stay in US longer then better be aware of what deductions your tax preparer is making while filing the return. It is easy to claim but difficult to prove. Take care.

• Lo
      21st of Apr, 2009

Hai,

I am a victim of gaap tax services too. I complained to BBB (better business bureau)and IRS(3949a form), and filed a dispute with the my credit card charges. all in all it took me an hour. The next day I got a refund of the amount.

My case, They said they have filed a complete false tax filings and now i cant contact them anymore; And I called IRS and realized they never filed.
    Dont feel like you can do nothing; yes you can do something about them.
    Just to inform you IRS has a tax fraud/abusive tax preparer complaint form 3949a, a 1 page form which is easy to fill out;

I am filing a complaint 3949 with the irs against GAAP. my ultimate goal is to take them of the streets.

If you have some time ; you can file a complaint too; they are the no.1 tax fraud services inc in usa; they perfectly fit the tax fraud description by IRS.
    they deserve it.
    here are some important irs links that can help you

tax abuse complaint form
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0, , id=106778, 00.html

abusive tax preparer/ tax fraud info
    http://www.irs.gov/compliance/enforcement/article/0, , id=130597, 00.html

this is the info you need to fill out the form
    Business Name :
    Principal Bus Activity:
    TAX preperation

• Lo
      21st of Apr, 2009

GAAP tax services is a fraud. You may be happy now but just ask the tens of people who got audited by IRS.

When You get audited, you are responsible not you tax preparer, and you will be taken to court and put in jail not your tax preparer.

Then your answer " GAAP did my taxex will not count" because you are responsible, and goodluck trying to find them after april 15th.

You can find a lot of people who got audited who had their taxes done by this GAAP, fraudulent idiots. and cant contact them anymore.

• Sw
      22nd of Apr, 2009

Hii all
    Well i have recieves my tax refund amount and have recived the documents that are required, , at first i had to call them a couple of times but, i guess thy wr really busy but then i got my refund in 4 weeks. I found them really helpful when i had to go to india I got my papers on time. Thanks to GAAP Accounting. All the very best in the future regards,

• Sn
      22nd of Apr, 2009

i had filed my taxes with GAAP Accounting and tax services. Just try and give them a call and let them know that You need the documents, they`ll have to help You out. I did the same i calld them and gave my fax no they send the documents for me. regards

• We
      1st of May, 2009

Miss Sneha... people do notice. Look at what Mr. raghuveer has to say on this chain in https://www.complaintsboard.com - https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/gaap-accounting-and-tax-services-inc-c101495.html#c305566

You just copy pasted your text under a different alias didn't you? Caught you red-handed!! hehe. By the way are you working for GAAP?

• Ji
      17th of Jun, 2009

Unlucky me. I did not see this forum before I went to him for filing my returns.

I am in a similar situation now. Totally clueless as to what I can do now. He has charged me 400 dollars 3 months ago. I have never received my refunds, and have been asking Mr. Iqbal to send me the copies of the returns he has filed.

Can I sue him to get my money back?

Now since the last date for filing is over, can I approach another accountant to file my returns again? Or should I wait till next year?

• T9
      26th of Oct, 2009

I am planning to file a lawsuit against them. I'm having to deal with IRS right at this moment for my 2007 return.

• Jk
      18th of Jan, 2010

FRIENDS, PLEASE NEVER EVER FILE TAX RETURNS WITH GAAP . THEY ARE EREALLY FRAUDS. THEY WONT SEND US THE SUMMARY AND IF IRS REJECTS, THEY WE WOULD BE IN TROUBLE. LAST YEAR, I HAVE FILED THROUGH THIS GAAP (IQBAL HAKIM ) .I GOT MY FEDERAL TAX BUT HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY STATE TAX. I CONTACTED THIS GUY SEVERAL TIMES, BUT THEY WOULD NEVER PICK THE PHONE .IF THEY PICK, THEY WOULD SAY THAT THEY WILL CALL US BACK OR SOME EXCUSES. WHEN I CONTACTED THE STATE, I FOUND OUT THAT THESE FRAUD PEOPLE NEVER FILED STATE TAX. THEY PROMISE US TO PAY MAXIMUM REFUNDS AND WE FALL PREY TO THEM . BUT IF WE GO THINKING THAT WE WILL GET MORE REFUNDS, THEN DEFINETELY WE WILL BE IN TROUBLE SOONER. Thanks, Jayesh

• Sh
      9th of Feb, 2010

This guys are horrible...they spoiled my husband's return (because they demanded more money and settled with less) and they yet did not fill our tax, We have already consulted with our company lawer and he told us that we have every right to fight against him if we will not recieve our refund and 1040 with DCN number by next week or 21st Feb.
    He has prepared and agenda and already discussed the issue with very expereinced IRS lawyer to make a case against him.Credit card company is also aware of the situation.
    We will wait till then and update all.
    My husand also lost his mind and getting sick for the tension as he wants the approved 1040 asap.We asked the insurance also if any case we need to go to doctor, these guys can be responsible for laibility as well.
    lets see

• Pr
      3rd of Mar, 2010

Hi Shatz2010

We filed the taxes with him 2 days back and today yersterday i saw the reviews on him. Did you received the money and 1040? please let me know

thanks