FutureShop / HP Media Centre PC / Never again an HP product in my life!

I bought a HP factory refurbished media centre PC from FutureShop ($1000). It had 3 months warranty. IT started giving "starting" problems.

Shuts on/off several times by itself before it starts. Once running sometimes it just restart itself. I got in touch with online product support and ruled out any software issues as I uninstalled all my softwares.

Took it it FS under warranty on 22nd October 2006. Believe it or not HP is still fixing the computer.
The last update I got from FS was that HP has sent it to their HeadQuaters for repair as the regional service centre could not fix it!

Escalated via a direct note to HP's CEO (HP Executive Escalations)3 weeks ago. Got a mail back in one week saying that they will look into it. Till date no updates! Shame on HP.
My warranty period is gone and how much the price of computers have dropped in 100 days. Only God knows when I will get my PC back or how long it is going to work after that. Never an HP product in my life again.

When I first bought the computer via Futureshop online, couple of keys on the keyboard did not work. I have to take the entire computer back and return to FS and they re-ordered one for me. On the new one, one of the USB port did not work. I did not bother to take it back to FS. However, the same computer developed the above problem and is with HP for more than 100 days now. As I mentioned earlier, NEVER AGAIN AN HP PRODUCT IN MY LIFE!

N  21st of Apr, 2008 by
Sounds to me like futureshop is doing all they can for you, in fact, the manufacturers warranty is NOT futureshop's responsibility at all. So including the futureshop company in this complaint is defamatory. As for the HP... welcome to box brand computers. These things are produced on a massive scale and quality of parts suffers for a percentage of products made unfortunately. Don't buy a refurb plain and simple. If the unit proved to be faulty once.. it's going to prove to be faulty again and again.
N  13th of Mar, 2009 by
I don't see anything defamatory in the OP's post regarding Futureshop. The OP is not recommending that customers avoid Futureshop, just HP.
You're right about buying box PCs. They're ALL mass produced and usually with parts from the lowest bidder.
As for "If the unit proved to be faulty once.. it's going to prove to be faulty again and again.", consider this. I purchased a refurbished HP P3 1.0 ghz many years ago and that refurbished unit served me with a single issue for at least 3 years before I sold it. I haven't seen the individual who purchased the PC from me in over a year but the last time we spoke the PC was still running flawlessly.
I would recommend anyone purchasing a refurbished unit from Futureshop to invest in at least 1 year PSP for your own protection/peace of mind. And no, I'm not a Futureshop representative so don't mistake my recommending customers buy PSP plans. My local Futureshop knows me so well at this point that I'm not offered a PSP plan on any of my purchases.