Future Shop / Sell defective appliances and not replace

I purchased a Maytag Performa Washer and Dryer team as well as a General Electric Portable Dishwasher on June 24, 2006. I also purchased the Product Service Plan (PSP) for 170.00. These items were delivered to me on June 30, 2006. The first time I used the washer was on July 8, 2006 when I discovered that the washer tub was severely unbalanced and would not balance, even with an empty load. An appliance repairman finally showed up and said he could not/would not fix it.

I have talked to 2 different duty managers on three separate occasions at the Future Shop in Saint John. They have all indicated to me that despite the fact that I have purchased the PSP, they cannot/will not replace my washer because it was a clearance item and they cannot find a suitable washer that is in the same price range. I was told that if I wanted to buy the 2nd least expensive model they currently have in the store (it is also a clearance item) that I would have to pay a delivery fee AND an additional 170 dollars even though I purchased the PSP. Needless to say, I will not agree to that type of arrangement, which is why I bought the PSP in the first place.

Having said that, my advice is DO NOT purchase clearance items at the Future Shop and then waste your money on the Product Service Plan. They will NOT honour the Product Service Plan if the item is a clearance item and they cannot find a "suitable" replacement, which they won't because as I discovered, their clearance items are usually discontinued models (mine was discontinued 4 years ago).

I was also told that if I wish to return my purchases within the 30 day time frame, that I will have to pay an additional delivery fee! Talk about adding insult to injury.

I am not even sure that this location has a store manager, it just seems to have all these different "duty" or floor managers that rotate around. The two I talked to made it clear to me that it was non-negotiable and my options were:

1.) Return washer and get a credit towards a more expensive washer
2.) Do nothing and continue to have a defective washer

Obviously, neither of these options are suitable, again, because the Future Shop PSP clearly states: "If we can’t fix it, we’ll replace it You’ll have peace of mind knowing that your product will be replaced if we are unable to repair it, or if the repair will take longer than 60 days. "

This is a lie! They have flat out REFUSED to replace my washer.

Stay away, far, far away from the Future Shop if you want to purchase home appliances. If you do feel the need to purchase a home appliance, then, for the love of God, DO NOT purchase anything marked as clearance.

Comments

Lc
  6th of Dec, 2006

Futureshop practices fraud; I bought a desktop PC; the motherboard was not funtioning properly. I immediately took it to the store. The told I would get the replacement within a week. I called them after a week; they told "It will take 3-4 weeks". I called them after 3 weeks; the reply is "The part is on the way; call us after 2/3 days"; After 4 days the reply was "We don't know who assured u about the shipment. we don't know how long will it take."

I went to the shop, and talked with the technician. He couldn't tell me any time frame, a month or 2 or 3? He told" usually it takes 8-10 weeks" (it was 1 week, the 2-3 weeks, no 8-10 weeks". After 10 weeks, I requested them to return me the PC, and told them I didn't need the replacement. Their reply is " It is with the HP (hewlett-packard); so, we can't do anything!!!!" After 2.5 months I didn't get the product; and they come up with the same answer "we can't give u the serial number (to inquiry the HP); its our policy" When I request them to ask HP about the product, their reply is "we have nothing to do". So, you (futureshop) is doing business, but u don't know; who else should know it?

No one should buy PC or any other Laptop or computer parts from futureshop. They are nonsense and practices complete fraud. I think, I should benevolently donate my desktop machine to futureshop. If anyone like to donate their money to futureshop, can buy products from futureshop; otherwise they should refrain from it.

Fr
  4th of Jan, 2007

Hey, you should talk to ur sales associate about the washer. I work for futureshop, and some managers won't honor psp policies because they are running a business and it hurts margins. But sales staff will go up to bat for u. You do have a 30 day return policy, and if they don't want to accept it then tell them to exchange it for the next one up... which is stated in ur psp brochure. if you were my customer i'd make it work. clearance items are nice because you are almost guaranteed to get a new one for the price of old one. (sales staff usually buy disco things.. we get a deal on psp, and just before its up chances are there will be something wrong with it. and you will get a replacement) If u buy a cell phone, and get psp on it chances are u will get a new phone just before the warranty expires, because the battery is covered, and does not last as long as it did when u first got it, (that falls in to performance guarantee)

Je
  8th of Mar, 2007

Hello.

I don't know anything about Futureshop but I do know that the Maytag Performa is a piece of crap!

Mine hasn't been right since day one. When we recently went looking for a different washer...some of the dealers asked what I have...when I told them they went "Oooohhh."

This is a KNOWN problem that they have chosen to not address in a recall. It is fixable but I guess you have to take the whole thing apart!

I may take them to small claims because since they merged with Whirlpool...they are now in my county in Michigan!

Now...I haven't any idea if Futureshop was aware of this problem-prone pos...if they did that's bad.

Jenni

Du
  22nd of Apr, 2007

I work at futureshop and the sales people are just doing what they are told to do by management so dont be mad at us. If we dont do what they say or produce good numbers we get fired... i hate futureshop.

Ma
  7th of May, 2007

I work at futreshop and have for about 4 years now. We always replace our defective items, PSP always covers the product at no extra charges if it is clearance or not. Sometimes we give someone a way more expensive item because that is the closest thing we have that is similar. If we can't find one that is similar we actually give the money back to the customer even if it was purchased 4 or 5 years ago. You can't beat that. Are you sure the item was covered under warranty? If an item is defective we won't even charge them for a 2nd delivery. I don't know what futureshop you were at but it has always worked this way since I've been here. Management never tells me to lie to a customer, and we replace items sometimes even when we don't have to, just to make the customer happy. I work in the Victoria Futureshop as the head appliance salesman. If you don't believe me come and see me here 250-380-9338 ext 710. I have stacks of customer letters and e-mails about how great our service is. Our you sure you guys are real customers and not someone that works for Sears trying to make us look bad?

An
  5th of Jun, 2008

Future Shop- horrible customer service.

We bought a set of Whirlpool Roper Washer and Dryer on May27/08. They were delivered and installed by future shop's personnel a week after. We trusted their professionalism so we used it with confidence. At the end, the washer was not installed in the right way. Water inside the machine flooded out. Our hardwood flooring on the main floor was soaked with the washer's water and detergent. We called future shop store manager at once. He keeps ignoring us. It's over a week now and we still haven't got our washer fixed. I have never seen such a bad customer service throughout my whole life.

To
  16th of Nov, 2008

We bought a frigidaire stove from Future Shop #617 on Wednesday, November 12, 2008. Th item was delivered on Friday, November 14th. The delivery people open up the box and left the stove at the back of our bar. One hour later. we noticed that the oven handle is defective. We called around 6:30 pm to report. The customer service told us that they can replace it on Monday, November 17th. I told him that Monday is not acceptable as we use the stove to cook meat for sandwiches. He said to use it and will be replaced by Monday. I did ask what time the delivery will be. He said, he will call back later. He did call back on Saturday, November 15th @ 3:54pm and asking us to bring the receipt to the store. I did reply that we do't have time as the bar is so busy on the weekend especially. Beside, it's not our obligation to go back to the store to return the item as we called and he took the receipt number 617-081112-053374. He passed me on to his Supervisor and I told him the same that we are no obligation to bring back the receipt to exchange he stove. The Supervisor even offer to $50.00 to keep the defective stove and not to replace the stove. I told him no way as we even paid for 5 years warranty! He did passed me on to his Manager that I was on hold for more than 5 minutes (earlier I told them that we are extreme busy as a big portuguese soccer game is going on). Even thou, I did stay on the phone waiting for the manager as we really need to have this stove to be replaced. The Manager then told me that the stove will be replaced on Wednesday November 19th between 5 -9 pm!!! I told him that this is unacceptable and urgue him to have it replaced by Monday as I was told earlier. We are on the phone for more than 15 minutes. Finally, I told him on Wednesday is Wednesday be better to have the replacement @ exact 5pm. For info, just this year, we bought 6 units of 42" flat screen Tvs, and this is an attitude we are receiving from them? Also, this will be follow-up to the Business Bureau and Executive Level of Future Shop.

Ch
  25th of Jan, 2011

FUTURE SHOP TERRIBLE SERVICE!

My son bought a laptop from Future shop in Peterborough as he studies at Trent university. The latpop was not working properly, on December 20 he took the laptop to Future shop in Oakville, where we live. Results: Phone call over phone call, he called after a week they told him it is very busy now with Christmas, that and it will take at least two or three weeks for the parts to come in. My son came two times already from Peterborough as he needs desesperately his laptop, results = nothing has been done.

I had called Futureshop on Friday January 21, to find out after talking to Benjamin ( very kind guy) at the store, that the parts just arrived Thursday 20, and they did not take a look yet on it. They told me to call Saturday to let me know what was going on? Saturday, I had called and talked to Nick assistant manager, who told me that they did not know yet what other parts will be needed. Finally, today Tuesday January 25, I talked to Galen the store manager in Oakville who told me, that UNFORTUNATELY the laptop has a DEFECTIVE ADAPTOR AND A DEFECTIVE MOTHER BOARD CONTROL PROCESSOR (not sure what it means, ) then i ask him to give my son a new laptop as it came defective from the store. The answer was that he can not do that; that the police of the store is that just if they can not fix or repair the laptop in 60 days, JUST after that time they can replace my son's laptop. Now, my questions is why he can not be given a new laptop, MY SON did not buy a clearance item, EITHER HE BOUGHT A USED LAPTOP, so why he needs to wait until the end of the 60 days to have a replacement coming to him. what he bought was a new laptop, HE DOES NOT WANT A REPAIR LAPTOP WHEN IT CAME DEFECTIVE FROM MANUFACTURE.

Now the store manager told me that they do not know when the parts will come in, and that they don't know how long will it take to be repair."No time frame, no answer if a month, a week or what...

So now I believe the store sucks! I had already present a complaint does it REALLY mean something?
The store thinks about their margins or profit, or what they can loose. but... what about what the customers think about their service?? so the store is doing good business what about the customers they serve??do we count for something! I am so sad!

I spent more than two weeks talking here and there with no result, My son traveled back an forth from Peterborough ( cost until now each time 40 dollars) thinking that in Oakville where we live it would be faster. I can not believe we trust Future shop ! while the words were very nice the results are NONE!

After this I definitely would not recommend or refer FUTURE SHOP to no one.

Le
  27th of Jan, 2013

I promise to never buy a ROPER stove, worst stove I have ever had, do yourself a favor if you can, spend alittle more money and get a better product, , , No more roper for me any product.

Su
  15th of Apr, 2013
Future Shop - non delivery after they assured me it would be delivered
Future Shop
British Columbia
Canada

I placed an online order for a Sony Tap 20 on March 15th 2013 and their policy says if the item is in stock, it will be shipped next day, it was in stock at the time of my order.

I placed a call I believe March 19th after the weekend to find out why my order had not shipped and was told there was a system glitch and that my order had been elevated and someone would contact me in 24-48 hours

After not recieving a call by March 22nd end of day I called in again, got an apology for not getting a call back, and was told my order was again elevated and that I will get a call in 24-48 hours, I spoke to a manager and explained I use this computer for work and am losing income, she offered me $120 off for my trouble which I was happy with after she assured me this issue would be resolved shortly.

After not recieving a call back again I called in on the 27th of March, I spoke to a manager again and she told me the order was shipping tommorrow

Now it is April 2nd and the order has still not shipped, I spoke to a customer service rep who told me that my status was elevated again.

Now to me enough is enough, how many times will I be told my status is elevated and recieve no call back as they as supposed to, to keep me informed, how much more time and money will I have to lose to recieve my computer that I use for work? It seems I am being taken by a carrot and string approach, just wait a little longer it will be there... its now been almost 3 weeks without a computer. The kicker in this matter is the item is still in stock, why can a new order not be made and get it shipped out!!!

To date I have lost thousands of dollars of lost income, if I would have known 2 weeks ago that it would take this long then I would have canceled and gone somewhere else. I have placed 4 calls into customer support when they are supposed to be getting back to me. I am extremely displeased with the customer service I have so far recieved, as well as dissapointed in what I am being offered to fix the problem, its quite apparent that they can elevate my order status as much as they want, it does nothing.

Beware buying online from futureshop and best buy (same thing), when something goes wrong in your order, you will be stuck in limbo for what seems an eternity.

Gi
  10th of Jan, 2014

I WENT IN TO FUTURE SHOP ONE DAY I PURCHASED 2 WASHERS 2 DRYER A FRIDGE AND A FREEZER A WEEK LATER I HAD A PROBLEM WITH ONE SET OF DRYER AND WASHER I CALLED THEM AND 4 MONTHS WENT BY AND NOTHING SO I CALLED SOMEONE ELSE PAID FOR THE SERVICE TO GET IT FIXED NOW ITS HAVING PROBLEMS AGAIN I CALLED THEM IN OCTOBER IM STILL WAITING IM DISABLED IN A WHEELCHAIR WITH 2 YOUNG KIDS SO ALOT OF LAUNDRY AND ALL THEY DO IS BRUSH ME OFF IM SICK AND TIRED OF FUTURE SHOP AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING FROM THEM I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ANYBODY TO GO TO FUTURE SHOP BEST BUY ALL THE WAY NOT ONLY DO I HAVE LAUNDRY BACKED UP EVERYWHERE BUT WHEN I TRIED WASHING MY CLOTHES ITS RIPPED SO MUCH CLOTHING I SPENT ALOT OF MONEY PAID TAXIS TO GO SHOPPING I CALLED FUTURE SHOP AND THERE HORRIBLE