Frys Electronicsrebate fraud

Frys Electronics has many co-branded rebates running at all times. These are the ones Frys is involved in and provides a "Rebate Receipt" and website for the rebate form.

Submitting a legitimate, very high quality rebate still results in it being rejected over 50% of the time. Re-submitting COLOR copies of everyting, including the envelope to prove you used the correct address, lowers the SECOND rejection rate to about 33%. It ofen takes three or four attempts, using Certified Mail ($3.20) each time to get the check you qualified for the first time.

Fry’s Electronics often pulls stunts like 1) two different rebates requiring the same original proof of purchase, 2) requiring an “upgrade” from a product so obscure nobody will qualify for it, and 3) printing a “Rebate Receipt” that is not accepted by anyone as either a sales receipt or proof of purchase (using it results in a rejection).

Comments

• Fr
      Dec 17, 2009

Frys electronics always cheated me. I have never received any rebate from them yet. Stopped buying from them.

• Ha
      Feb 27, 2010
    Fry's Electronics - Bought bunk item
    Brokaw
    San Jose
    California

Today I was looking through Fry's ad and saw the 880gb Seagate free agent go hard drive on sell for $120. I decided to go get it at the Brokaw location. It was the last one on the shelf with no return sticker on it. I thought I was in luck until I got home.

Plugging it in and it did not power up. I tried it on my laptop first then my mediacenter to no avail. Knowing it was the last one on the shelf, I decided to go to the Hamilton store to get an even exchange. The return rep tells me to get one off the shelf and come back. I return only to find that they ripped it open, and found surprise... Nothing but old flat batteries. WTF... They tell me they can't do anything about it and that I should go back to the original store I bought it from. Fine, angry as I was, I really didn't want to be stuck with $120 batteries.

Back at the Brokaw store and I explain everything to the lady, she brings her manager to talk to me and basically its the same crap. He looks at me and says we cannot return this item because its just batteries. We argue for a long long time, and he just says "how can you return something like this, it's not a hard drive?" to which I reply,
    "how can you sell something like that."

I'm at my wits end, I called my CC company to try to dispute but they say the charge hasn't gone through yet. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm so p* off right now and will be calling the store manager tomorrow and possibly try to get a corporate contact.

Mar 15, 2010

Almost all retailers/etailers outsource their rebate processing, or provide rebates through the manufacturer's rebate program. Fry's is no exception, and isn't completely at fault for using a rebate processing center that doesn't provide the best customer support. My experience with rebates is you have to read every rebate carefully BEFORE you buy anything. Also make sure to document everything (what the rebate requires, what was mailed in, UPC codes, etc), track and keep records of all your rebates that you submit, and photocopy the stamped envelope (if your USPS office lets you) or use a metered stamp with date. Of course you need to always followup with the rebate processing center by phone to make sure you correct any problems and ensure a valid rebate check!
    As always, Good Luck!

• Ar
      Apr 28, 2010

I've actually had good experiences with rebates. I have yet to see one fail or be returned to me. And I've had experiences with Fry's and their "rebate receipts". Those work for me as proof of purchases.

I agree with your complaint, however. And here's why:
    They take forever. You'll see your money next quarter.
    They are processed by a third (and something fourth) - party companies with no relation to the original retailer.

And you usually end up cutting your boxes/packaging for UPC codes, so you lose any potential to return your merchandise.

If you DO attempt to return your merchandise, the rebate price is "subtracted" from the price you paid. So a $50 item with a $10 rebate only refunds you $40, minus another "restocking" fee.

Rebates aren't worth the hassle in my opinion. You save maybe 5-10% of your purchase price, but the amount of effort expended far outweighs it.

Myself: I just ask for a discount off my purchases. I ask for a manager. You'd be VERY surprised in speaking with a retail management how lenient they can be with discounts. On average, I'd say I walk away with 15% off total purchases. Some items are 40% off, others are 0%. It really depends on the store, stock levels, and how you speak to management. Items with rebates usually won't be discounted, however.

• Tr
      Dec 18, 2010

After 3 months my rebate request based on a D-Link camera purchased at Fry's does not even show on rebatepromotions.com website. Is this rebate game a scam? Do they just throw away the submissions?

• Lf
      Jul 05, 2011
    Frys Electronics Inc - Poor service
    Frys Electronics Inc

Don't buy a support contract from Frys. I live in Plano Texas and have had the worst experience of my life relative to support and service from a retailer. Seven service tickets in less then a year and they use every excuse and loophole to avoid taking responsibility.

The most extreme example I have every had of incompetence and lack of concern.

As far as escalating to someone with brains, forget about that too. They are so well organized to divert complaints that you are constantly directed back to a lower level manager that lacks the foresight or authority to make a decision.

Trust me - spend your money elsewhere!!!

• Ge
      Jul 27, 2011
    Fry's Electronics - Bad Service, False Information - return or exchange faulty product
    Fry's Electronics

Beware of the false information offered by salesmen in this store. We bought a 55" LG Flat Screen TV from the Alpharetta store a few months ago. The Salesman and the Sales Manager assured us that the wireless feature of the TV was very popular and no problems..."we have it working perfectly in our store..." the sales team stated. "Our 'professional' installation team is the best and really does a nice job..." the assured us which ofcourse was all false and only stated to sell us a TV and installation service which both were poor. The wireless feature has never really worked as presented and the installation was incomplete which we ended up finishing ourselves. Full payment was made to Frys so they really dont care to make any kind of effort to fix their lies. Our advice...if you dont have thousands of dollars to waste, just buy your products from anyone other than Frys. The management does not care, the sales team is weak and the installers are incompetent.

• Ms
      Sep 17, 2011
    Fry's Electronics - Won't Pay For Damage The've Admitted To!
    Fry's Electronics

I purchased a Maytag Neptune Front Load Washing Machine PLU 4356925 on Saturday June 10, 2009. My invoice number is [protected]. It was sold as an open box floor model. I inquired about the warranty and if it had been previously used. I was told it carried a 30 day warranty and was not previously used but a floor model. The product was incorrectly priced also, so when I was at the register it rang up as $359.90, but on floor was marked $259.90. The adjustment was made on my purchase after I inquired and they apologized. I had the unit delivered to my home on Tuesday June 23, 2009 between 9-1pm. I used the washing machine the very next morning and left for the day. When I returned I was astonished to find my whole laundry room floor was completely flooded. Everything on the floor was sitting in 1-2 inches of water. I cleaned everything up myself, which was no easy task, due to all my storage being also in the laundry in cardboard boxes which were completely destroyed from sitting in the water all day. I immediately contacted the store in the morning on Thursday June 24, 2009. I was told someone would call me back to make an appointment for a technician to come out and look at the machine. On Wednesday July 1, 2009 I called again to Fry's and asked to speak to a manager and yet again I was told the manager for that department would have to call me back. I decided at that point and with a house full of laundry to use the machine again under my supervision. I was able to wash a load of clothes with only a minor amount of droplets of water escaping the dispenser where the soap goes. So I tried washing a second load. At that point water started gushing from the dispenser area and also from the door of the machine. I recorded this on camera and turned the machine off. Waiting for a manager to call me back I did not try to use the machine again and took my clothes to a wash house nearby. On July 13, 2009 I phoned Fry's again stating that no one has tried to call me back or contact me, on the various times I have called and I need to speak with someone immediately. They gave me to Robert the head of delivery. He told me that they were aware of the problem and was sorry no one had called me back and he would make sure this is resolved soon. He took my number again and said he would talk to the manager of that dept and call me back. On July 21, 2009 I called again!!! Sorry by this time I am more than frustrated. I spoke with an associate there at the washing machine area and he scheduled an appt. for Thursday July 30, 2009 between 10-1 after I did not let him hang up without making an appt. Robert came out and inspected the unit and said that yes it had been installed correctly but he was only the supervisor for installation and not a repair tech. He said he did feel bad and could not believe they had taken so long to come to my aid in this matter. He also said that he would talk with a manager to get this unit replaced immediately. I was happy with this decision and felt this ordeal was well over. On July 3, 2009 Robert called me and stated that he was sorry but the manager said she could not replace the unit because they had given it to me at a discounted price and there was nothing on their floor of that same value. I asked for any type of unit comparable and it did not have to be a Maytag. At that time I was put on hold and when he returned he said that she said that she could not do it. I called back after I had time to breathe and asked what other option I would possibly have, Robert said he would do some research and come back out to see if he could see any other problem. He made me an appt on Wednesday August 5, 2009 from 10-1. He checked the soap dispenser and behind the machine and turned it on and it started spilling water out as previously. He said it was definitely defective and he could not repair it. He took pictures and also said he would talk to the manager again. I thanked him for his help and he left. On August 12, 2009 I called the store and asked to speak with the manager directly but was just transferred to the sales floor. I spoke with Cathy and told her all the issues and she said that they could do nothing. I heard someone in the background telling the girl what to say including for Cathy to be nice since she was being very aggressive with me on the phone and so I asked who it was and she said my manager, so I asked to speak to her. Sharon said it was not there problem and now my 30 day warranty had passed, I told her I had been calling to resolve this issue with Fry's for over a month now. She had very little sympathy and said I could exchange the unit then and pay the difference in price. I then called and asked to speak with Fry's District Manager or Head Manager and I was transferred to his voice mail. I left a message with what had happened and my number to call me back. On August 14, 2009 I called again and this time Robert answered and said that the main Manager of Fry's authorized the return and full refund of the washing machine, I asked him for the refund of my delivery cost as well and the washing machine manager said in the background no, so I asked to speak with her and I told her again that I have been given the run around for over a month and that I had called numerous times to get it repaired or exchanged and no one called me back, so forth and so on. To which she agreed and said she would authorize the refund of the delivery as well. On August 24, 2009 the washing machine was picked up, at which time my linoleum ripped off the floor with the machine and the wallpaper was curled and was ripped with the machine as well. The delivery tech also saw that there was mold on the bottom of the drywall behind the washing machine as well. I have tried to spray with bleach but it returns. On September 3, 2009 I went into the store to get my refund. Someone let it spill to me that the unit was not a floor sample and was in fact a returned unit and it had been returned for the SAME exact thing! They also said in the computer there were extensive notes on this machine. I told them of the damage it caused my laundry room and they gave me the number for claims and said I had to handle it with them. I called and opened a claim. I was called back and asked what happened. I related the situation and Connie said that mold could not grow in 3-4 weeks and that I should not have tried to start the machine again. I explained to her that I only started it again to see why it flooded and how it happened and about mold I told her that I would do some research and call back. I did and was told that mold can grow in as little as 3 days. I called back and explained this and then she said that for me to get 2 estimates and that they would send someone out, also she said that she would have to talk to the delivery techs. To find out what neighborhood I lived in and what condition my laundry room was in previously. I was quite amazed that she was so bold as to ask me these questions, due to them violating the discrimination act. It should not matter where I am located or the condition of my home. What should matter is if there was any damage done to my laundry room by this defective machine. No one else ever called or came out. I called her back to inquire of this and she stated that the delivery techs vouched that my home was in good repair and my laundry room was in newer condition so she did not need to send someone out. I faxed her the estimates to which someone else called me back and said they would turn it over to their insurance. They have not paid yet and the insurance says they are not going to pay unless they can send a general contractor who they hire to come and take a recorded statement and photos. I believe this is unnecessary and unfair since Fry's has already sent 3 different workers to do this previously when the damage was fresh and I have sent several letters with statements. I was laso adviced to be careful with them sending someone to my house 5 months after the damage as they might be using this to not pay the claim. Thank you for your help.

Aug 08, 2012

This is still going on. I sent in a rebate request, heard nothing and now they not only want copies of everything, they also want a denial notice/rejection letter (which I never received) and an exact postmark date for when the rebate was mailed to them.
    I guess the era of rebates being real is long gone.

• Ki
      Nov 21, 2012
    Frys.com - This store doesn't seem to know what they are doing
    Frys.com
    frys.com

This store doesn't seem to know what they are doing! I pre orderd a product and it is not until the very day of the release that they realize they didn't order enough of the product to fulfill the orders that were placed two months in advance! Your lack of seriousness and costumer commitment completely sucks!!

• Da
      Jul 22, 2016
    Frys Electronics - Warrantee Not Honored
    Frys Electronics
    Houston
    Texas
    frys.com

I have a warranty from frys on my Lenovo y560. I took it in for repair and was told that the hinge was not covered because hardware damage is not covered and I was charged $78.

How can a warranty NOT cover hardware defects.

However is this clearly a Manufacturer defect. Many people are having the exact same issue with the Y560

How can i get this resolved?

Here are just a few people with the same problem.