Frisas Construction / Terrible work, did not do soil compression tests!

1 Mexico Review updated:

Frisas Construction, which claims to be a "Builder of Cities" in Mexico for fifty years cannot be trusted to deliver houses to buyers. They have a development in Baja, called Real Del Mar. They subdivided the property, and sold lots without doing the soil compression tests. They have houses that are falling apart, cracking, the foundations have moved. Other buyers have been told that they will not build their homes three years after selling them to them. They now know the ground is unstable, and it is not cost effective to do what it would take to safely build, since the houses were sold at prices that did not incorporate the cost of compressing the soil, and using proper footings. Now the buyers are being treated terribly.

People to stay away from in Mexican Real Estate: Jose Luis Corona, Pedro Corona, the sales office at Real Del Mar, Coldwell Banker Mexico, Frisas Construction. All of these are part of this mess. This is a warning to anyone, when you see the signs for Real Del Mar, just keep driving south, don't stop.

More Frisas Construction Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Un
      8th of Jul, 2007
    Frisas Grupo - Bait and switch!
    Mexico

Please look for complaints about Frisas Construction, Real Del Mar, Jose Luis Corona, and Mexican real estate. Frisas has bragged about building cities in Mexico for over fifty years. They are using their long past reputation to dupe people into buying contracts on homes they can not deliver, then force them to negotiate for accepting inferior lotes. Their practice is hurting Baja. People are now seeing this in the news, and on the Internet and hesitating to purchase properties and timeshares in Mexico without hiring attorneys. I understand the U.S. State Department warns visitors to Mexico against buying property without taking a lot of time, research and hiring a Mexican Attorney, but that is only because companies like Frisas Grupo have not kept their word. They do bait and switch and offer inferior replacements. They have agreements with Coldwell Banker Mexico to bring them clients. Watch out for them too.

27th of Jul, 2007

Frisas is a very large company based in Mexico City, and they don't have a concern about the Baja area. As soon as they make the money they can, they will turn over the development to he home owners associations and leave. They have no reason to make sure things are done right. Look at the construction and you can see how low grade things are. They are the an example of how a big company tries to promote themselves from past performances, and exaggerate what those were. Don't be taken by Frisas Construction.

18th of Aug, 2007

This is typical of Mexican construction. There are no building codes, or government offices to inspect the plans and the processes of construction. Also, big companies like Frisas think they can treat people poorly and get rich off the sweat of the workers. I am very happy to see this complaint about them, it is about time.

18th of Aug, 2007

I have decided it is best to rent in Mexico. I do, and it is great. It is inexpensive, and I did not have to pay closing costs (they are three times what they are in U.S.) I can move anywhere, anytime, and I don't have to find someone to sell to first. I have not had a problem, but I have read things in the Gringo Gazette, that neighborhood disputes can get scary. If that does happen to me, I can move. I am saving my money I am saving in my 401K, and Roth IRA. I also have other investments. I don't have to live somewhere because I don't want to pay Mexico's 35% capital gains tax on real estate. A house is a consuming assett. It costs a lot. My other investments do not take money out of my pocket every month for repairs, maintenance, fees, taxes, etc. The long term capital gains is 15% Fed, and 5% State, so that sure beats the Mexican taxes.

Anyway, I am happy I did not get suckered into buying during all the hype. I have the view, and beauty, but I have my FREEDOM!!

28th of Aug, 2007

I know first hand what a problem buying in a place like that is. I bought a place in Real Del Mar in 2004 for $170,000.00. It cost $12,000.00 in closing costs, and another $2,000.00 in other fees to establish the trust. I am now trying to sell the place, and have only been offered $220,000.00. I have been to told it is worth $260,000.00 by people in the development and realtors, but I have only had one offer is eight months. I have been paying almost $1,200. a month for three years. That is over $40,000. in interest. When I sell I have to pay 35% capital gains on what the Mexicans consider capital gains, the difference between the $220,000. and $170,000. It is easy to see with the money I also put into furnishing it, this has been a very expensive and not profitable experience. If I had put that money in the same mutual fund I have my 401 K in I would have received dividends, capital gains distributions, and growth on the price of the shares. I thought I was investing, but instead I was getting an education, and I learned a lot from this mistake. I paid a lot for this education.

23rd of Nov, 2007

I have been looking into buying a condo in the Real Del Mar area. I have written Catherine Gladen about what has happened, and she says she is negotiating a plan to get her money back. Has anyone heard of others getting money back or satisfactory settlements? She said someone named Zarela Garcia and her husband Hector told her they had them take property. They had a lot in the same area. She said that Frisas settled with them but that she has to work out an agreement with the person who had bought her lot from Frisas, then sold it to her. She believes that Frisas gave them a property settlement that the Corona's are very happy with, but she just wants her money back. I don't want to buy anything until I know that people with problems are handled right.

25th of Dec, 2007

I have seen that the prices in Baja are about 33% lower than they were two years ago. I saw a house that they were asking close to $600,000. a year and half ago, now just under $400,000. Also, they are offering to pay the closing costs!! Closing costs are very high in Mexico. I don't think this is over yet, I think if I wait the houses will be even less. Rents are coming down too because many potenial buyers have backed out owners are now turning homes into rentals. The housing crisis has definitely crossed the border.

20th of Jan, 2008

I talked to a real estate agent in Dianne Gibbs office in Puerto Nuevo, and he told me that the woman has still not gotten her $80,000. deposit back. First they waited over two years to tell her they could not build on the lot they sold her, then they tried to sell her more expensive houses to get more money out of her, and now they are saying they can't give her the money because they don't have money, they only have land.

The things you see on the internet that are posted by businesses that are trying to sell something and take your money don't tell you about all the problems. That is why the United States State Department has a warning against signing contracts in Mexico.

Read the news stories about the corruption. Then you will understand how Frisas thinks they can treat Canadians and Americans like this.

20th of Jan, 2008

Coldwell Banker in the north Baja area has gone out of business, and the owner Joel Ferrar has filed for bankruptsy in the San Diego courts, because he was licensed and had his business base here in the U.S. There was a long list of over a hundred creditors he left stuck. Another area in Mexico had a Coldwell Banker agent who was origninally from the U.S. steal over a million dollars of deposits and cross back to the U.S. leaving many clients with losses. Even American names in Mexico can not be trusted. Oh, and Donald Trump, he sold the use of his name, like he should be trusted??? He has taken out bankruptsy in the past, and look at the way he treats people. Yet, realtors will say, "Donald Trump is building in Baja." He would build on his mother's grave if there was a profit in it for him, him and only him. He is a greedy, mean spirited, selfish person, and that is who they want you to trust.

21st of Jan, 2008

When Gringos come to Mexico and want to take advantage of our land they are hurting us. I wish they would all run to the border and never come back. They have caused our prices to go high so the affording of house is not for us who born in Mexico. We do not want you. Developers do they make money. Frisas does not care about poeple of Mexico, they care for the company profits. I do not think the woman will get her money ever. She downpayment money has lost to a greedy group.

17th of Jun, 2008

I have the same type of problem. A real estate office in Mexico sold me a house representing the seller. I put down the deposit, and we signed a contract. The seller asked for money down for the construction. I gave it to them. They have not delivered the house. The real estate office says they have no obligation to help me. I am now not able to find the seller. No one should sign a contract in Mexico. Move there, rent, understand the culture before ever thiinking about making a commitment. There are thousands of stories like this.

• Ri
      3rd of Jan, 2009

I am so glad for all that posted this truthful information. It has kept me and my family and friends from making a big mistake. Those of you who alerted me to scammers like Real Del Mar in Baja, Pedro Corona, and his son Jose Luis Corona, and others did a great service.

I wrote some of the posters and found how really dishonest these people really are. And even worse, the mexican attorneys and legal system are not any real help.

Don't buy property in mexico, it is a big mistake. Let the story of Jose Luis Corona of Real Del Mar in Baja be a lesson. There are hundreds like him, but thanks to the story of his stealing a woman's money we will all be safer. He and his employer, Real Del Mar, and their sales office, have hurt a lot of people, but now the truth is out, they are going to save hundreds of families the heartache they have already caused. One of the reasons the Baja real estate market is falling is because of people like Jose Luis Corona of Real Del Mar. He has only himself to blame, and others can blame him too.