Frigidaire / heat pump failures

1 4529 Paseo Del RayLas Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:
Phone: (702) 547-0472

In August 2006 I purchased a Frigidaire single package heat pump (puron) to replace my old, inefficient unit (Freon). During the first year of operation (2006-07) the new H.P. had continuous problems with both heating and cooling causing interruptions of service and requiring the replacement of various parts including a compressor. In August 2007 the unit failed during the hottest part of the summer (106 to 113 degrees). The AC company who sold me the unit recommended replacement with a new Frgidaire H.P. under the manufacturer's warranty, I agreed. There was no unit available in Nevada, the replacement H.P. would have to come from the Frigidaire (Nordyne) in Missouri, which would mean at least another week or more of living in extreme heat for me. When the new H.P. finally arrived in Las Vegas at Nordyne's distributer, my AC company discovered they would have to pay for the unit before the distributer would release it to them. The AC Company refused the delivery and told me they were washing their hands of any responsibility in the matter and left me very hot and upset. (I later found out that if my AC Co. had payed for the new unit, Nordyne would not refund their money until my old H.P. was returned to them for inspection and they (Nordyne) had determined that my old unit was indeed defective. This, so I'm told, could take 60 days or more. If Nordyne decided the unit was not defective my AC Co. might not be able to recover their money from Nordyne. I started calling Nordyne's Las Vegas distributer, I called Nordyne, I even contacted a local TV consumer advocate. This went on for several days, the distributer said that while he appreciated my problem, his hands were tied. Nordyne said they understood my problem but backed my A.C. Co.'s decision to back out of the deal, "they did exactly what they should have done" the Nordyne rep told me. I never heard from the local TV consumer advocate. Suddenly, after a couple of days, Nordyne's distributer said they would arrange to have the new H.P. installed by a different A.C. Co. but it would cost me Two hundred and fifty dollars and a new transition would have to be fabricated as the old one was not large enough. Finally, after two plus weeks of extreme heat and frustration, the new H.P. was installed and operating. The new unit, although slightly noisy, worked well until July, 2008 when the compressor failed again. The new A.C. Co. contacted Nordyne who, although certain a bad installation or, I don't know, maybe something I personally did to the unit was responsible, agreed to supply a new H.P. to the A.C. Co. to install if I would come up with a thousand dollars first. (I'm not sure who the thousand dollars is for, Nordyne - the A.C. Co. or both). I should say here that the Nordyne's Las Vegas distributer and the second A.C. Co. may be the same entity and they became involved in this deal to help me out. I decided to hold off on the A.C. Co.s offer and see if my home warranty insurance will cover my defective H.P.. based on past performance of this Frigidaire unit, it could cost me at least a thousand dollars a year just to replace compressors under the manufacturer's warranty. That's the story to date, its 92 degrees in my house at 4:00 am with a high of 112 degrees predicted for today and still no air conditioning in sight.

Comments

• Mi
      6th of Aug, 2008

We've had similar problems with Fridgidair heat pumps. We bought this house in 2006 and they came with it. They were new in 2003, but the house was rarely occupied. Since we've lived here, both heat pump compressors have failed several times. Both have been replaced 'under warranty' for over $750. Now the one that was replaced in April has stopped again. We had to pay $575 for the new compressor as Fridgidair will not pay for shipping or installation. It's 82 degrees in the bedrooms and my husband had open heart surgery 6 weeks ago. I don't know what to do anymore.

• Ac
      30th of Dec, 2009

You must have a very bad A/C Company were we service a complete unit would have been 250.00. Period you have been given the run around from your service company not Nordyne.