Frigidaire / Electroluxfrigidaire counter depth refrigerator

I purchased this refrigerator in May or 2017. By December 2017, I noticed a crack in the inside liner on the right side. There is actually a bulging ridge where the crack is and looks like another crack is forming. Obviously a manufacturing defect!!! A crack occurring within 7 months of owning the refrigerator!! Never would I buy a refrigerator with a crack, so I called Frigidaire to report the problem. I call the repair company they gave me, I told them the problem. He asked me to send pictures, because this is not something he could repair. After a few weeks, he called back to say that Frigidaire wanted him to come out a put a piece of TAPE over the crack...See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Paoli, PAthat bring the fix!!! Seriously?!?! I called Frigidaire to clarify. The spokesperson told me that yes, tape is a fix for a crack, even tho the refrigerator was not even a year old (7 months at that)!! I asked what happens after that, what if it cracks more or completely comes apart!?! I was told that if it is within the year warranty they will tape it again, but after the year the problem is mine!!! What?!?! They are not fixing an obvious problem with this refrigerator and then want to make it my problem after a year. I am in awe over this...how can tape be a fix for a manufacturing defect????? Now my refrigerator is junk!!! I spent a lot of money to purchase a brand new refrigerator and Frigidaire will not even back up their product!!!

Frigidaire / Electrolux
Frigidaire / Electrolux

Am
Jan 16, 2018

Comments

• Sh

Hi Amy.

Appreciated reading of your concerns. I'd like to be of assistance.

It would help if you wouldn't mind providing a little more information. What retailer did you purchase the fridge through? Am I correct in assuming you've purchased the unit new? Is this fridge being kept in your kitchen or is it in a different part of the house.

Look forward hearing from you. I'm sure we can assist you in getting this resolved.

• Am
      Jan 17, 2018

@Shaun R. Purchased from Sears brand new, and yes, it is our main refrigerator in our kitchen. Thank you.

Jan 17, 2018

@amyfunstuff No question that tape is not the proper solution. To begin with, the tape adhesives will not necessarily hold up with the consistent cold temperatures. There'd be further concern having it around food.

The first issue to address is why the cracks are occurring. Is there any perceivable change in the insulation underneath? If not, the proper solution is to replace that section of panel.

I wouldn't address this through the manufacturer as much as Sears, being the retailer. Although it's still under the first year of warranty, it may be of help if you have purchased additional warranty coverage through them. They can go to bat for you getting either the panel replaced or an R.A. (return authorization) for the entire fridge.

Let's have you start by contacting the Sears location you made the purchase through. Post back as to the results.

• Am
      Jan 20, 2018

@Shaun R. So update: I did contact Sears. They said nothing they can do during Frigidaire’s warranty. I have to go thru them til then!!

Jan 21, 2018

@amyfunstuff Hi Amy.

That's unfortunate. I'd hope Sears would do better. The truth is that Sears is so close to bankruptcy, I don't think their focus is where it should be. And even if it was, Frigidaire may not care to work with Sears because, well, they're not expected to be around much longer. In the process, everyone forgets about what is right and just taking proper care of a customer.

Technically, the crack is cosmetic in nature, not having anything to do with the functioning of the unit. That is why Frigidaire isn't addressing it the way one might hope.

Ultimately, this means that fixing the problem is up to you.

It's not going to be cost effective to replace the interior under your own cost, so I'd scratch that off the list. I don't know what kind of 'tape' they're referring to. If it's nothing more than a white duct tape, the consistent cold temperatures could likely cause the adhesive to fail.

I'd want to seal the crack to better insulate the temperature and, hopefully, stop the crack in continuing. Because you're using the product around food, you want to use a type of resin/adhesive that won't be a concern around items that people consume. This may sound a little different, but you can purchase orthodontic resins that are both inexpensive and will do the job quite nicely. In fact, you might be able to conceal the crack so to make the crack almost disappear. If you're unsure about where to buy it in your area, talk to your dentist. I know it sounds weird, but if applied correctly, I think you'll find it to be a really good solution.

I'd love to hear back from you.