FreecreditReport.comNo easy way to cancel subscription

Freecreditreport.com advertise on the TV about availing the free credit report. True, it's easy to get one--but why do they make it so hard to cancel your membership. They give you 9-days to check out your credit report, and after that you start paying subscription charges. While it's easy to register online and check out your credit report--you can do everything online--you can't cancel your subscription immediately online after checking your credit report. For that--you have to call in to a number and talk to a rep. Why not give the consumer the ability to cancel online immediately? Calling in to a number and all just ends up with several consumers not able to to cancel it and getting charged unnecessarily.

Ha

Comments

• Fr
      Sep 14, 2006
    FreecreditReport.com - Absolutly impossible to cancel

In order to to get my so called "free" credit report, I had to give my visa account number to freecreditreport.com. However, they make it absolutely impossible to cancel your account. What do I need to do to get my account canceled? Maybe I just need to talk to my lawyer!!!

• Mt
      Feb 25, 2007

I got charged by free credit report for a service i didn't realize i was signed up for. They make you sign up for this service and charge you $12.95 per month for a fairly useless service that you dont even know exists. There is no way to cancel on the website so you have to call. The person on the phone was very pushy and i had to tell him 3-4 times to cancel my membership before he would actually do it.

Mar 05, 2007

I have no idea what i was charged from FreeCreditReport.com for?

• Br
      May 13, 2007
    FreecreditReport.com - FreeCreditReport.com is a complete scam!

After searching for hours on this web site for a way to cancel my free credit report i found only links to 'upgrade' my free report to a monthly fee based report. I DID NOT WANT THIS!!! No way to cancel but still charged... freecreditreport.com is a complete scam!

Jan 05, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Unathourized Billing
    CIC Credit Monitoring
    Florida

Have been getting billed $12.00 per month by this company. Have tried to cancel the service several times. When I finally got someone on the phone they tried repeatedly to talk me out of cancelling the service. When I finally cut the person off mid sales pitch and told them to cancel my account I was put on hold. Then someone came on the phone and said my current membership was paid until the next month and I would still have access to the service until then. I sensed something was not what it appeared to be so I asked if I would have to call again on the date the service runs out to cancel. They tried to go into another sales pitch so I interrupted and demanded an answer to my question. I was told yes I would have to call back. I told them nice try but I want my membership cancelled right now, and if they were so concerned about me missing out on the current months service which they already billed me for they could feel free to credit the money back to my account. The line went dead I assume I was hung up on. I will be watching carefully to see if they try to bill me again. Next step is I will just close my account at the bank and re-open under a new account number.

• Al
      Jan 05, 2008

I have seen the infomercials for these, and I can clearly read that it says that you will be billed, you should check out the fine print before you give someone your credit card information.

•   Jan 24, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Unauthorized bank withdrawal!
    Phone: [protected]
    www.FreeCreditReport.com

I'm the type of person who checks my account on a regular basis, meaning up to five times a day even. Tonight, I decided to check it since I have pending payments and wanted to verify if they were processed, and come to find out that I have been charged an amount of $29.95 with the description of 'Withdrawal @ ATMVBAS2 AP9*PRIVACYMATTERS12-V [protected] CT' and a subsequent amount of $1.00 following that charge with the same description. I have never even gone onto this site or even heard of it in my life.

The last thing I did do that was credit or credit report related on the internet was when I went online to get a free credit report. Now I don't remember if I ended up going through the freecreditreport.com website, but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

After reading this article on msnbc http://redtape.msnbc.com/2017/09/dont_fall_for_f.html I realize that how easily it could be mistaken between the 'free...' website and annualcreditreport.com. I'm almost positive I did the credit report through the the 'annual...' website. This is very confusing.

In a time where money is tight for me since I am a college student, with a new used car loan to pay for, work part time, have bills to pay, this is the last thing I need to deal with right now. I almost don't even want to call the company after hearing the horror stories everyone else who was scammed who tried to call to cancel. Instead, I want to jump right ahead, close my checking account and get a new debit/visa card (since it is tied to my checking account) so I never have to deal with this fraudulent company. Though, my fear is that they will haunt me no matter what. Right now, my concern is them making more charges when I have pending payments that need to be processed and the possibility of my account being over drafted. This is ridiculous that I have to deal with this especially when I literally live paycheck to paycheck, penny to penny.

I just want to say that my trust of internet purchasing/banking/etc (anywhere you have to type in a cc #) has been broken. I would have liked to have never have dealt with this, I almost wish I had never been interested in looking at my credit (though I did actually get a report which makes me wonder how I got charged if I did it through the 'annual...' website) but I had to know cus I was in the process of applying for car loans. I'm going to have to deal with all this in the morning, calling this 'privacy matters' website, my bank, and even annualcreditreport.com.

Feb 01, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Charged for services not ordered which you cannot cancel!
    www.FreeCreditReport.com

You get you free report then you try to cancel and you cannot find a number or way to do it. They charge you every month ($12.95). You go to the website and you cannot log in, they say they cannot find your account. Finally, their phone number showed up on my statement and tried to call only to get a busy signal for days on end.(someone else trying to cancel services they did not order I'm sure). Then there is no answer. After 2 months I finally get through and then get disconnected, call back and get busy signal. I finally got through today and their excuse for not refunding my money for the last 4 months of charges was that I did not call in the 30 day to cancel. If they had more people there to answer the phones I might have gotten through. This is highway robbery. Someone needs to take these people to court in a class action suit to get everyones money back.

Feb 01, 2008

I forgot to add the two phone numbers that you can use to call [protected] and/or [protected]

• Li
      Mar 26, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Recurring monthly charges after canceling what I never ordered in the first place!
    Florida
    www.freecreditreport.com

Went to freecreditreport.com for a free credit report. found out they had signed me up for membership that i immediately canceled. I've received 2 monthly statements from my credit card company that I've been charged 2 months in a row for something I never ordered. Called company for refund and they said they would cancel me but the email they sent when I canceled 2 months ago wasn't good enough proof that I had indeed canceled. No refund will be issued and the email they sent me in January doesn't warrant a refund. Don't go to this site, it really isn't free.

Apr 04, 2008

Yes i also signed up for it like an idiot. Their website alone offers you no option to cancel so you have to use the number to call them. I just did as my free trial period was over, and i was sent an email confirmation with no sale pitch of any sort, so i will check my statement this month and make sure they did it. I assumed being as advertised of a company as they are that it would be legit, never again will I fall for it again haha.

•   Jun 13, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Not so free
    www.freecreditreport.com

Not so Free Credit Report charged my account $21.90 for a C/R from 1 credit reporting agency, not all 3 like they claim.

I called to cancel my account and the operator refused. She said that I agreed to pay according to their Terms and Conditions. When I told her that "Nowhere in the Terms and Conditions does it state that they are authorized to charge me $21.90". She quickly said she would give me my money back... in 7-10 days.

Get the "Approval Code" for your bank to get your money faster. This might require a 3 way call with your bank... but it can be done!!

• Dw
      Jul 01, 2008

7-1-08
    Today I sent an E-mail to [protected]@freecreditreport.com regarding the recent billings and cancellation of my account as follows:

In March of this year, I requested a credit report and was billed for it on my AMEX account (closing date 3-18-08) which was paid 3-25-08. Believing that was the only bill I would receive, and not receiving a bill from AMEX in April, I was shocked to see on My May AMEX bill, received approx. 5-22-08, another charge from you was entered 4-18-08. On 5-27-08, I called [protected], talked to "DEREK" and received a Cancellation Confirmation No. [protected] indicating my account was to be closed and when I asked for a credit for the current bill he said he could not authorize it an transferred me to "Jessica Showers" who after considerable conversation agreed to issue the credit.

Then my June bill from AMEX (closing date 6-17-08) another charge for $11.95 dated 5-18-08 was entered on my bill along with the previously mentioned credit. After I had made it very understandable to "Jessica" that did not expect to be billed further, I was again shocked so I called today to same number and taled with "Michelle" and asked for the credit for the 5-18-08 charge. After several minutes and her continuous refusal because "the system would allow only one courtesy credit", I asked to speak to her superior and she told me there was no other person to whom I could talk about this matter. I will admit and your recording while confirm that I became very disturbed by her responses to my request, so much that my wife picked up the other phone and continue to request a solution. At that time we were asked to hold and were put on hold for approximately 15-20 minutes while the music played and then the phone was disconnected on your end.

All this was brought on by the delays in your billings to AMEX so that several months were involved in this dispute. I HEREBY REQUEST THE CREDIT BE ISSUED BY YOU TO MY AMEX ACCOUNT!!!

Please confirm this will be done

•   Jul 17, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - Free should mean free
    freecreditreport.com

I went to freecreditreport.com to see my supposedly free credit report. Before I could even get close to my "free" report I had to enroll, with my credit card for a $14.95 a month service. Before I went further I found the number to cancel the service, intending to get the information and cancel a service I don't want. I got my report, then called to cancel.

That's when the hell started. I called and requested cancellation, they want to know why, which I explained. Then they push the service, I declined. They push an alternative service, I declined and asked to just cancel, please. Then they pushed another service and variations on all the others, shorter terms, blah, blah, blah. I just kept saying no, and she kept asking why I wouldn't want this "protection." At no time did she say my service was cancelled. She harrassed me until I was in tears. I begged her to just cancel my service, I don't want it, and it doesn't say anywhere on the ads with the cute kid that free means you have to buy something.

She told me I didn't have to get *angry* (angry? how is crying from harrasment anger?)and finally said she would process my cancellation. I did get an email confirming my cancellation.

These people are parasites. The rules say we are entitled to a free credit report, so they use it for an opportunity to do legal "phishing."

### sucking bottom feeders.

• Da
      Aug 08, 2008

I TOO GOT SCREWED. I HIT THE BUTTON GET STARTED AND FAILED TO REALIZE THAT ON THE SAME PAGE IN SMALL PRINT OTHER GUIDELINES AND COSTS. ONCE YOU CLICK GET STARTED YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT COSTS ETC. I CONTACTED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL IN RHODE ISLAND AND THEY COULD DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. IT COST ME IN ADDITION, A COST FOR TRIPLE ADVANTAGE SERVICES. I LOST ABOUT $400 ON THIS SCAM. VERY MISLEADING AD. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS SCAM. VERY CLEVER AD. BEWARE. I WILL FIND A WAY TO WRITE IT OFF. LOL

• Ni
      Oct 06, 2008

If you sign up, get your credit report, and then cancel before you are charged, you are not a customer. So, they don't feel bad for someone getting charged that is just trying to abuse the freeness.

• Ro
      Oct 11, 2008

My refund to my account of 29.98.I have my credit report through another co.why would i want it twice I canceled it confermation#1281102

Oct 15, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - unauthorized withdrawal of bank account
    Janine
    Bay City
    Michigan

PrivacyMatters, PrivacyMattersIdentity, PrivacyMatters1, 2, 3, 24ProtectPlus, CIC Triple Advantage, and YourSavingsClub are just a few of the credit agencies that went into my bank account and withdrew money without my knowledge or permission When I contacted them and asked how they had gotten ahold of my information, they told me they had gotten it through FREECREDITREPORT.com! It is not "free, " neither are the other agencies who take your money without your permission. I had to fight to get my money back, but I did. Now, a week later, my bank who is monitoring my account, called to inform me that seven OTHER companies have also done it. I made a bad choice, PLEASE don't be stupid like me!

• Be
      Nov 04, 2008

You have to talk to a rep because it's a business, and the reps are salesmen. Really, who doesn't have a phone? Or a neighbor with a phone? Or .50 to use a payphone?

Cancelling is not hard. For anyone who is having difficulties, this link should help:

• Cy
      Nov 15, 2008
    FreecreditReport.com - They unknowingly debit $6.98 from my acct
    Paulden
    Arizona
    Phone: [protected]
    creditreportrefund.com

On 10-29-08, I received a notice from my bank that freecredit report.com had my bank create an echeck for $6.98 implying that I signed up for their service. The bank paid this which put my acct in the hole $1.82 thus creating a fee to me for $32.00 for NSF. I NEVER signed up with freecreditreport .com. All I had done was apply for a pay day loan and had answered "NO" to ALL the deceptive, criminal spam pop ups. I have followed ALL their requirements for a refund (2 x's) and to date have not heard from them. I also DEMANDED they reimburse me for the $32.00 NSF fee because of their deception. I'm NOT holding my breath to receive ANY money baxk from them. Thanks, Cindy Nelson

Mar 11, 2009

I signed up for the free credit report program in the month of October and was charge $31.65 on the 28th for that month. On November 10 I was also charged $31.65. After that transaction I decided to cancel my membership so I called them to cancel it. The lady on the phone said that everything was taken care of. When December 9 rolled around that was a charge for $31.65, I immediately called them and take to another lady and she had the funds returned to my account on December 10. She also made sure that my membership had been cancel and said that I no longer had a membership. In the month of January that was no charge from the company so I took that as everything was ok. In the month of February on the 18, I was again charge the total of $31.65. I called my bank and ask them about it and they said that freecreditreport.com had took those funds out of my account and that I needed to contact them for a refund. Now I am here wondering if I will get my funds back into my account even after I had canceled my membership back in November.

Apr 07, 2009

You cancel by calling the 1800 number, they try to real you back though, but just keep saying no and they'll cancel you.

Apr 16, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - Commercials
    John
    Texas

I am so sick of the FreeCreditReport.com commercials. Not only is that idiot singer and his band bad enough to make you want to put your fist through the TV, but we have to be assaulted by the message that your entire life revolves around your credit and if you don't use their services, you will end up being a pathetic loser like the actor portrays. Insulting!
    On top of that, I guess the company loves to rub salt in the wound by running these ads endlessly on every channel. I counted 20, count 'em, 20 times those ads ran on only one channel in one day.
    All I wanted to do was watch CSI Miami and just about every commercial break I was greeted with that grinning ### as I fumbled for the remote in an attempt to save myself from the lunacy.

Apr 16, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - Unautorized Charges to Credit Card

Freecreditreport.com is nothing but a scam. They advertise a free credit report. but that is os not the issue with this company. they made an unauthorized charge to my credit card for credit reports that i have never even seen. When i called to get a refund they told me i had to fax a letter to the ther Customer Relations. What company makes you fax a letter for a refund. When i asked to Talk with someone to get a refund i found out there is not such person available ( how convient). THe supervisor i talked with was rude and very inconsistant with his answere and kept condradicting himself. Please be very careful with this company. They are nothing but a SCAM

• Ha
      May 20, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - deceptive marketing
    FreeCreditReport.com

Don't get fooled by that jingle on TV. Well, I can only say I'm a sucker for it. When you sign up for the so-called free credit report on their web site, they will start to bill you after that if you did not realize the fine print. I think lots of people have fallen to this ploy and they have been sued by the FTC before. Read it here at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2017/08/consumerinfo.shtm. In there it says :

It deceptively marketed “free credit reports” by not adequately disclosing that consumers automatically would be signed up for a credit report monitoring service and charged $79.95 if they didn’t cancel within 30 days, in violation of federal law.

According to the FTC’s complaint, Consumerinfo’s advertising and Web sites failed to explain adequately that after the free trial period for the credit monitoring service expired, consumers automatically would be charged a $79.95 annual membership, unless they notified the defendant within 30 days to cancel the service. Consumerinfo billed the credit cards that it had told consumers were “required only to establish your account, ” and, in some cases, automatically renewed memberships by re-billing consumers without notice. The FTC charged that the defendant’s failure to adequately disclose the automatic billing and to get consumers’ consent to bill their accounts violated federal law.

If you're like me, send a complaint to FTC here at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/. Or get in touch with your state attorney general or the state banking commission if your credit card company refuses to dispute these unauthorized charges. If you need a credit report, get it here http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt156.shtm. Also organizations like the BBB nowadays is not a good source of trust nowadays as it makes money from subscriptions from companies and there is a potential conflict of interest and they have no authority to deal with situations like these unlike the FTC.

• Lo
      May 25, 2009

AFTER RECEIVING MY CREDIT REPORT . I WAS TOLD TO CANCEL BEFORE 30 DAYS OF MY 5/20/09 MEMBERSHIP . MY PRINTER DID NOT SHOW A TEL# FOR ME TO CONTACT. NEED INFO!

• Lo
      May 25, 2009

AFTER RECEIVING MY CREDIT REPORT, WHICH I PRINTED, ON 5/20//09. I AM CONCERNED AS TO HOW I DO NOT GET MONTHLY CHARGES ON MY CREDIT CARD. WOULD APPRECIATE AN ANSWER.THANK YOU!

• St
      May 26, 2009

You said it!

• Da
      Jun 02, 2009

You will have to pay $160+/mo. after 1 month. See, this is one of Experian's tricks. If you want your free credit report, go to annualcreditreport.com.

• St
      Jun 18, 2009

I wish that the President and all of the CEO's were all locked in a room and forced to watch and listen to these stupid commercials 24/7 for a solid month. Thanks Steve D.

Jul 16, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - Fraudulant Charges
    MNI CREDITREPORT.COM
    Columbia
    Maryland

TOTAL SCAM!!! This company charged my credit card (unauthorized) three times in three days. They had the nerve to obtain my checking account number and charged me another $14.95. That is four charges in less than seven days. I cannot get through to anyone via phone and have had to cancel my credit card and establish a new savings account. THEY ARE TOTALLY BOGUS!!!

• Fr
    FreecreditReport.com - unwanted subscription service
    Minnesota
    freecreditreport.com

I requested my free annual credit report from the web site freecreditreport.com. I had to enter a credit card number to receive my 'free' credit report. This month I noticed a charge of $14.95 on my credit card bill. I inquired and learned that I was automatically entered into a subscription service and that I had to take action myself to cancel the service and that I had to do it with 7 days. I did not request nor did I order this service. This is a SCAM and a FRUAD in taking advantage of the free credit report offere. I cannot believe freecreditreport.com is allowed to continue to take peoples monies. What is going on?????

I cannot get back my $14.95. What recourse do I have? Who are these people??

• Me
      Aug 21, 2009

FreeCreditReport.com is NOT a scam! If you took the time to read what you were signing up for then you would have seen that they automatically enroll you. It's your own fault for not reading the site and info available first! Don't blame a company for your mistake.

• Ve
      Aug 21, 2009

Here is your recourse. If you have not done so already cancel the service. To do this you need to CALL them. Make sure you get the name(operator number) of the person you are talking to, the date and time you called. Get them to send you a confirmation e-mail that says you did cancel.

Let them know you want to cancel. They will attempt to keep you enrolled by offering you special deals. Just keep repeating "NO..I want to cancel". After about 3 or 4 times they will figure it out.

Then use this as a learning experience. In that you should never give anyone your credit card or sign anything until you read and understand EVERYTHING.

• Jh
      Sep 08, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - unauthorized transaction
    Texas

My husband canceled his account twice with freecreditreport.com. The first cancellation did not go through which resulted in overdraft fees to our account. He cancelled a second time. The representative assured my husband the service has been canceled. He went on the website to make sure it had been canceled. Two days later, there was a charge on our account for $26.51. He called again and they stated when he went on he had ordered the 3 reports. There is no way he ordered that product. He spoke with Violet and when he told her that transaction wasn't authorized and therefore is fraudalent, she said "File a police report." Needless to say, we received no refund, were told to fax a letter, and to file a police report.

• La
      Sep 10, 2009

Hi, my name is Laura and I am an analyst at Balestriere Lanza, a trials and investigations law firm in New York. I saw your post on expressing a desire to be contacted if any potential class action law suits against Free Credit Report were in the works. Our firm has been investigating Free Credit Report's potential misconduct for several months and would be interested in hearing more from you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at laura.[protected]@balestriere.net or at [protected] x 133.

• Th
      Oct 03, 2009

stop complaining so much!!! if you dont want to see them unplug the damn tv. geez! not every1 lives in pleasantville like you

• Ho
      Oct 03, 2009

LOL! They are a rip off too! Ain't nothing free about freecreditreport.com!

• Cu
      Nov 19, 2009
    FreecreditReport.com - refund
    Irvin
    California

My credit card was automatically charged $14.95 on the date I joined
    (10/13/09) I canceled within the 7 days trial membership trial period
    (10/15/09).When I called to cancel I was gived a cancellation # and
    promised a refund which never occurred.To add insult to injury I could
    not get Master Card to reverse the charges.In my view this is false
    advertising and fraud.Rather that beating myself up with it, I will not
    fall for something like this again plus Master Card has lost a customer
    over $14.95.I did, however, file a complaint with the BBB, FTC and
    express my feelings here.Good Day !

• Je
      Jan 27, 2010
    FreecreditReport.com - Freecreditreport.com SELLS your Email address!
    Freecreditreport.com
    freecreditreport.com

My husband recently wanted to purchase a vehicle and wrapped in a loan for a "dead horse" on which he had some remaining payments. The first dealership he visited resulted in his receiving many denial letters from just about every bank in the area (after he got a car from a second dealership!?) After the sixth rejection letter arrived, I had my husband pull a copy of his credit report. After seeing all the commercials we decided to get a copy from Freecreditreport.com. We paid for the 3-in-1 report to be sure we got all the information available to us. He signed up a week ago using my email address as that's where all the online bills and such are sent. Within 2 days my spam box went from 2 mails per day to about 30!! The reason I know it was this company who sold my email address is that many of these new spam messages are titled "Joel" instead of "Jennifer." Do NOT give this company your main email address! I'd suggest you set up a junk freebie mail address if you must utilize their services.