Free 411 Services 18003733411 / 71769 & 41414 unauthorized texting

Someone at work told me there was a free directory assistance number [protected]. I called from my cellphone, they asked me for a city, state and business name. There was no disclosure of any obligation to a subscription for using this service. A few minutes after calling, I received a text from 41414 saying, "Congratulations on our subscription to weather forecasts." Keep in mind each text is .15. This first text gave me the option of opting out, which required me to text them back with the word THREE STOP and I went on to explain that I wanted to stop because I have to pay for each text message. The next day I received two texts (duplicates) from 71769 saying, "Sorry your carrier does not support downloads." I then replied, "Each text costs me money, please stop texting me." Which they replied, "Sorry, the keyword does not match up with any services offered by CSW."

Finally I called Tmobile who suggested I sign up for $4.99/month 400 texts and reply with the word STOP in the subject line. I asked if there was any other way because I had not idea that this scam would stop at 400 texts. The rep then suggested I activate Tmobile's free option of blocking ALL texting. That's what I did. The rep also checked to see whether I had been charged a subscription and as of 8/25/08, I had not. I will keep checking. I don't know what happens if I am charged. It's a scam and I too do not know how the FCC let's them get away with this.

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• La
      4th of Sep, 2008

Or the easier of the latter which she or he left out is calling 1-888-335-4953 from the phone receiving the unwanted texts and press 1

• Ri
      10th of Nov, 2008

I suddenly started getting texts from 41414 I NEVER used any of the services. I have never used free 411 services or called 18003733411.

I don't care if it is free I HATE spam and I've only sent 3 now 4 text message in 5 years. So where did they get my phone number?

I did text them stop all and they had better hope it stops.

12th of Jun, 2009

i have used free 411 many times and i agree with jay and you must listen to all of the prompts. i have never goten data charges or txt messeages. i really dont care itf u hate spam. u seriously did it to yourself because you didnt listen to all promts. So u sir did it to ur self because of idiotism.

30th of Jul, 2009

I just started getting text from 41414 do not know who they are luckly I called my carrrier atat and sent stop hopefully this will stop someone should sue them for this

• Ne
      11th of Aug, 2009

I got a new iPhone from the local shop in the Mall, and before I had left the mall they had already sent me 3 spam texts. There is no way I opted in for that, I just bought the phone.

Sounds like a scam to me, and looking at limbo's site and rep, it probably is. "Weather forcasts"? Yeah right. They are probably partnered with AT&T to generate a ton of unsolicited spam texts to increase costs and profit.

• Do
      15th of Oct, 2009

I completely agree. I just used the 800 373-3411 for the first time and was not given the option to NOT have the text sent to me with the phone number I was asking for. I guess it's back to the old phone book to get numbers that I need.

• Ro
      23rd of Feb, 2010

i tried to use the yahoo messenger free call tircks to anywhere in the world.but i failed to attempt.whenever i type the number18003733411 in yahoo messenger after that i hit the enter button, suddenly www.complainsboard.com opens. plz let me know how to use this service?

• Ze
      18th of May, 2010

I would like to make a free call

• Am