Frederick Law Group / Debt Settlement Fraud

1 Baltimore, MD, United States Review updated:

Richard Brennan has collected $6788.00 from my checking account over an 18 month period and has never paid one cent to a creditor in my behalf. They do not response to my questions and I have stopped payment to them. They say they cannot help me until I restart their payments. I will not give them any more money at this point. I have received 4 court summons and have 1 judgement against my credit so far. I am very unhappy with their service.

Comments

20th of Oct, 2008

He took me for over $5600.00. Can you believe after 7 months. he got into my account and took money out this morning. The Attorney General is working on this for me. Has anyone had any luck with getting there money back? Also I cant believe that the Attorney General has not stopped him from practicing law. He is a ###!!

• Wo
      23rd of Oct, 2008

Dear Janet,

My name is christina and I'm beginning to worry. I started out with Richard Brennan, LLC whose was referred to me by the credit counselling agency from where I'm from. I was told by the CCS that my first two payments were for lawyer fees and then the rest would go to the debt collectors that I owe. Approx 6 months after paying 400.00 a month I get a letter stating he went to Frederick Law Group. I called the CCS and the phone was disconnected. I then called Richard Brennan's office and they said there was nothing they could do and that my case was handed over to Frederick Law Group. So I tried to get hold of them and the only way I can reach them is by e-mail. They have now accumulated 400.00/month for over a year and a half and now I"m worried they are not going to pay the debt collectors. There has to be some way to get out money back and hold this people responsible. Maybe call 20/20. May be there is someone (lawyer) that is honest and can sue this company!!!

• Be
      7th of Mar, 2009

I am agast and worried ...I had no idea, till today, that there could be a problem with these people. Looks like I am not the only one up to my eyes even worse than when I began with them. Any help in dealing with them would be appreciated.

• Cl
      9th of Mar, 2009

This is to everyone who worked with Richard Brennan and the Frederick Law Group. Richard Brennan IS NO LONGER THERE! I have read every single complaint on this man and all of the issues mirror my issues as well. I am in the midst of filing a lawsuit against him and the Firm and he leaves! Now what do we all do? I have retained another attorney and will update you all.

28th of Mar, 2009

my name is mary, i am in the same situation. i have paid them nearly 2000.00 and still have people calling me and sending threating letters a couple of them are check advances and i am so sared that i will get into some trouble for not paying these checks, i think they should be the ones to pay!!!i have a friend that went trough it too and we really want to get our money back if u have any information please let me know, thank you

• Ka
      2nd of Apr, 2009

Hi. We are all going trough the same issue. But my question to all of you, how and what happened when you guys put a stopped payment to them? I am planning to put a stop payment but i'm scared. What should I do?

• Md
      2nd of Apr, 2009

The Attorney General of Maryland states any complaints against the Frederick Law Group or Attorney Richard Brennan be addressed to a Mr. Larry Munson (Attorney Gen. Office) by calling him at 1-301-791-4780.

I hope this in helpful to all of you. Good Luck!

21st of Apr, 2009

I, too, am a client of FLG, since August '07. Today, April 21, 2009, after nearly two weeks of no response to an e-mail to my paralegal at the firm or from the representative who signed me as a client, that calling the firm gives the message that the message box is full and cannot accept new messages. But it does not provide an alternative to leaving a message. Alarming, though, I discovered that the firm's e-mail is such that YOU CAN'T SEND AN E-MAIL. I called one of my creditors' law firms and learned that it has left a series of messages at FLG but has not received any response and the last time they talked to anyone at FLC was THREE MONTHS AGO. I am strongly considering MDS' advise to call the state's attorney general since I obviously am not getting the representation I'm paying for. I've got a call into another of my creditors as well. If I'm told the same thing as what I was told tonight, I am going to STOP the automatic monthly withdrawls FLG makes and pursue a complaint with the state's AG. I learned by directly contacting one of my creditors that they are willing to settle for 40 percent of the total debt. I WOULD ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO CALL THEIR CREDTORS TO FIND OUT WHAT BUSINESS, IF ANY, THEY'VE HAD WITH FGL. If there hasn't been any, try dealing with them directly, stop payments to FLG & file a complaint. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with more experience than I.

4th of May, 2009

Like all of you I am not sure what to do either. I have been a client of FLG since Oct 06. I haven't been able to reach anyone in months. Now the phone number isn't working at all, can't leave a message. I am very nervous. I am suppose to be done in Oct of 09 with the settlements. But by the look of things I am going to have to fight for my money back and figure out how to pay my creditors off on my own. Since you all probably were told when we signed up with FLG not to make any more payments to my creditors, so the late fees piled up. Plus they have gone through arbitration twice, which costs even more money. I guess the best thing to do would be contact the creditors is make a complaint to the attorney generals office. I too would appreciate any feedback
    Lisa

5th of May, 2009

Lisa, and anyone else: This is what I've done - I've stopped ALL future payments to the firm after concluding I have no way to communicate with anyone there - no response to e-mails to my paralegal, the firm's main e-mail address doesn't accept messages, a phone message box that is full & gives NO alternate method to communicate. On learning this, I called my creditors and - VERY IMPORTANT - they tell me they have had no response to their calls since at least January, important because this may be a contractual violation on the firm's part. On my own, I've settled with one creditor for 40 percent and am negotiating with the other. THIS IS WHAT I PAID THE FIRM TO DO - NEGOTIATE! I am preparing a complaint to the Maryland attorney general; you can do it on-line or mail it to the address on the on-line form. One of the boxes in the on-line form asks what you hope for if your complaint is substantiated: I am asking for a FULL refund of ALL I have paid the firm, and am also asking for criminal prosecution. To anyone out there still making monthly payment but who has no way to communicate with the firm, though I'm not an attorney, I would suggest IMMEDIATE stop-payments because, since you have no response from the firm, how can you know what you're paying for? More importantly, though, if you call your creditors, ask when and if they have had any non-response from the firm to their inquiries. If so, you may have the contractual violation that warrants a complaint, not to the BBB, but to the attorney general.

• Ca
      6th of May, 2009

Is there a class action law suit in progress wi FLG. I started with them back in Oct 2007. I have three different people that have been paralegal on my case. Dustin Harness, William (can't remember his name, had an accent. I too have had to call my creditors and make arrangements with them to pay them back. In the mean time money has been taken from my account for their services. Does anyone know if at this date their is a class action law suit against FLG. We all believed that they would go to battle for us and help to clear our debit isues. But instead got screwed, Any new information that I gather I will share with all of you. Keep your heads up and believe that their is an att0rney out their that is willing to take on this case. And will put a stop to fraudulant companies lie FLG. I hope that all of you have kept every single piece or correspondance with them. We may need it in a court of law.

7th of May, 2009

I just wanted to warn all of you...YOU HAVE TO CLOSE THE BANK ACCOUNT THAT FREDERICK LAW GROUP KNOWS AND OPEN A NEW ONE. I STOPPED THE PAYMENTS BUT THEY JUST GOT INTO MY ACCOUNT WITH ANOTHER NAME! TOOK THE PAYMENT RIGHT OUT! I WENT RIGHT IN TO MY BANK AND CLOSED THE ACCOUNT AND OPENED A NEW ONE. I WOULD ADVISE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME. THAT ACTION RIGHT THERE SAYS ALOT ABOUT FREDERICK LAW GROUP. I WILL BE CONTACTING THE FIRM THAT MY CREDITORS HAVE AND TRY AND NEGOTIATING MYSELF, WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE! I WILL DEFINATELY BE FILING A COMPLAINT AGAINST FREDERICK LAW GROUP I HOPE WE ALL GET OUR MONEY BACK!
    LISA

7th of May, 2009

carol, I too had dustin harkness as for william his last name is Ablagye. He was assigned to me months ago. I have yet to speak or get an email back from him.
    Lisa

7th of May, 2009

Hey, all, get a load of this: I got a voice message yesterday (Wed, 05/06/09) from someone @ the firm stating that "negotiations are continuing" & that the reason an auto withdrawal wasn't made from my checking account last month was because of "upgrades" the firm is making. Huh? Anyways, I was told I'm getting a letter "explaining" something, and I suspect that it was related to my last e-mail a month or so ago that my not having any communication with the firm since January "was not acceptable" and that I expected a response within 24 hours. When I didn't, I stopped all future payments to the firm, negotiated with one of my creditors at 40 percent & am prepping a complaint to the state attorney general. I have not responded to the firm's call yesterday & won't and intend to use this letter I'm supposed to be getting to include in my complaint to the attorney general. What interests me most in the call is the comment that "negotiations are continuing" since one of my creditors was able to access his law firm's and another and told me FLG hasn't responded to either firm's calls since January. Did anyone else get such a call? And, if you did, are you going to be like me & continuing no future payments & use whatever you get in writing in a formal complaint?

8th of May, 2009

I haven't heard from anyone from Frederick Law Group since october! i have called and called. emailed and emailed, nothing. I am not paying them another cent! I have a question, I was going over my paper work and i was wondering who i call as far as creditors. I have two that i owe, but i got letters from a Howard Lee Schiff/collection agency who was trying to collect the debt for my creditors. I googled Howard Lee Schiff and there were alot of complaints about him too. So I am wondering if i should just try and called the two creditors instead of Howard Lee Schiff. After all that frederick law group has done its hard to trust anyone. I don't want to set up payments with another firm and find out 2.5 years later i am being screwed over again. Any help would be appreciated. Lisa

8th of May, 2009

Lisa - I believe fully it best that you NOT continue "payments" to FLG since you've not had any contact with it in SEVEN months. As for calling your creditors directly or the collection agency, try the creditor first to see if they can even talk to you (I understand that once a collection agency is involved, the creditor has to "get it back, " if they can, to negotiate with you). If you have to talk to the collection agency, I think you may make some headway if you explain that you no longer have FLG representing you and that it clearly did not represent you as it indicated it would contractually. Usually, when a collection agency or lawyer's office knows that the other counsel isn't in the picture, they'll usually bargain in good faith & offer either a one-time settlement (usually 40 to 60 percent) or four to six monthly payments (usually around 80 percent of the debt). I still believe strongly that a complaint - as many of them - need to flood the Maryland attorney general's office. Someone mentioned earlier something about a class action suit that represents all of us. Usually that's what the attorney general does.

• Ri
      11th of May, 2009

Dustin Harkness is no longer employed at FLG, they are to be contacting clients regarding their accounts. There was a class action law suit that settled and we are waiting on the distribution of funds. Best advise, contact your local consumer credit counseling office, they are legit and do much of the same type of negotiating that these rip-off firms do. There is a monthly fee though. Also, contact a local bankruptcy attorney, many offer a free consultation. They also can netogiate settlements.

GOOD LUCK!

• Ri
      11th of May, 2009

It appears www.fredericklawgroup.com is offline!

11th of May, 2009

Thank you, riggerswife! Is there any doubt now that EVERYONE should put immediate stop to future payments to the firm. Harkness was one of my paralegals once; I got an e-mail from him months ago that he was taking a "leave of absence." I'm still curious about getting the letter I was told in a message from FLG that I'd be getting at month's end, and I'm particularly interest in seeing if they address what "negotiations are continuing, " since I'M the one doing the negotiating. One question, though: if there was a class action suit involving a settlement of funds to be distributed, how were these folks allowed to continue? Be that as it may, EVERYONE: does any of us need any more reason to severe our ties with the group?

12th of May, 2009

If there was a class action law suit, do we expect to get a check in the mail? they owe me approx. 5, 000 dollars. Or does a new one need to be filed? I am still trying to figure out who to contact to get my money back. I have stopped all future payments and closed that bank account and opened a new one.. The reason why i did this was because they still took out a payment this month, they just changed their name to do it. The collection agency i talked to yesterday told me that FLG never did any negotiations only sent them a POA. They can't work with me until i write a letter giving them permission to contact me. This has been a nightmare. Lisa