Franciscan Health System / Bill Collecting

1 Tacoma, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-934-3540

My husband and I need your help. January of this year we received a phone call from Franciscan Health Systems trying to collect on a bill totaling $2, 445.30. The charges were from my daughters birth 2/28/06. During this time I was covered fully under Molina Health care (DSHS) because I was not yet married to my current husband. The second our daughter Jaden was born she was covered under my husbands insurance through his work place. I was confused on why they were making us personally responsible for this debt. I asked Franciscan for a itemized bill in which I received a bill with no explanation of what exactly we are being charged for. After calling Molina Health Care- they explained to me that St. Josephs Hospital never charged my husbands insurance for Jaden but gave the State (DSHS) the full bill. Last Year (2008) after Molina did a self audit they found that Franciscans billed incorrectly and had them reimburse Molina for the charge of Jaden’s care at the hospital. Being that in the State of Washington allows a health care facility to bill insurance companies up to a year after care was rendered Fransiscan is now coming after us. I have now spoke to all parties involved and have been told on all ends (even Franciscan) that I am not the one responsible for paying the bill. I spoke to the Manager in charge at Franciscan after I received a 15 day notice in the mail. He assured me that he would “take care” of this bill and I would not be harassed via phone or mail about this charge any longer. This weekend 4/25/09 I received a notice that they have now turned us into collections. I am at a loss. We now have no one to turn to. I really need your help to expose what they are doing to people, especially in such hard economical times.

More Franciscan Health System Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ro
      26th of Apr, 2009

You weren't covered for these charges. Time to pay.
    In future do not use hospital services or have babies unless you can afford to pay.

• Po
      28th of Apr, 2009

Though I agree with roflmao that you should not produce children unless you are able and willing to incur the costs of doing so, roflmao doesn't seem to understand that we don't always have a choice as to when we use hospital services.

In any case, if there was a communication error between the hospital and the insurance, it is either the hospital or insurance co. responsibility. Write to Franciscan with evidence of coverage at the time of service (also indicate who you gave the insurance info to) with a statement that the error was between Franciscan and DSHS. If that doesn't satisfy the accounting dept., ask for financial assistance from the hospital charity program. Include an explaination of the delay in applying when you submit the paperwork.

• Go
      23rd of Jun, 2010

First do not pay attention to miserable idiots who just surf around trying to find their personal punching bags so they don't swallow a bottle tonite! I work for a Law Firm in D-town Tacoma and after working with PI claims for over 10 years I can tell you that you are not responsible for that bill. A provider has 365 days to submit the claim and receive payment. Franciscan made an error in billing DSHS because pregnant women after 2002 do not have a straight DSHS Medical Coupon. They are either covered under the DSHS subcategory of Molina or Healthy Options. Of which you had Molina coverage. My understanding is that if a Provider fails to bill incorrectly and a year has lapsed they cannot come after the patient for payment. Because you weren't the one who made the mistake it was their billing facility. My suggestion would be that you immediately write a letter to Franciscan Health System (if you'd like post your email and I will send you over the reg, RCWs and such) you will quote every single regulation and RCW that you get in regards to DSHS and Molina's billing requirements. But I'm 99% sure that they cannot go after you for payment. You will need to send the letter certified and cc to Molina and DSHS also certified mail. There is no way that you have to pay that bill. After billing incorrectly they had to write that bill off, of course they will make every effort not to have to do that. But if you do go with my suggestion you have to do this asap. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!