Francesca's Bridal / Horrible customer service!

7718 Belair RoadBaltimore, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 410-882-5050

I ordered my dress from Francesca’s in June for my early January wedding in Colorado. Francesca wanted me to order a size up from my measurements but I insisted on buying the size the manufacturer’s chart said I should. They told me I would have a fabric swatch within 2-3 weeks, the dress within 3-4 months, and that they would have no trouble shipping everything to me in Colorado with plenty of time for alterations.

I needed the fabric swatch to buy shoes to match the dress but when I called 3 weeks later to check on it they said they wouldn’t order the swatch until after I came in with my shoes for my custom hem length measurement. From their reaction I must have been the first bride to ever question their policy of having to have the shoes for the hem measurement, needing the swatch to buy the shoes, but not being allowed to have the swatch ordered until after the hem measurement.

In August I went back to look at veils and Francesca promised to check with the manufacturer to see if she could order matching lace from my gown so they or I could put together a custom, matching veil. Several weeks went by and I moved to Colorado but still hadn’t heard back on the lace so I started calling them. They always told me no one was currently in the shop who could help me and promised someone would call me back but never did. Another few weeks went by before Francesca finally left me a voicemail that she couldn’t order the matching lace.

As the end of October approached I started calling asking for the ship date on my dress. Again, every time I called they said the woman in charge of ordering wasn’t in and she would call me back, but she didn’t. I finally got an associate on the phone that laughed at me and told me that all dresses take 6 months for delivery, not the 3-4 I had been told when I ordered, and she also told me that no swatch had been ordered for me.

In mid November I finally got a ship date from them and they told me the only way for me to get the dress in hand sooner than 2 weeks before my wedding was for me to pay for them to overnight it to me. I finally got them to agree to eat the cost of the manufacturer overnighting the dress to them, and had my dad pick it up to then overnight it to me himself. In the meantime I finally got a swatch in the mail but it didn’t match my dress even though the accompanying letter claimed it was the same fabric.

I finally got my dress less than a month before my wedding date, with a real swatch of my dress but only after several dozen long distance phone calls, $250 for UPS overnight shipping, and more stress than any bride deserves to go through. And to top it all off, the dress was too long and more than a size too big. If I had gone with Francesca’s size recommendation I would have had to have the dress taken in 2 sizes instead of just one. I had the dress altered at a local shop that double checked whether matching lace could be ordered from the manufacturer. It turns out it could but at that point the rush ship date was only a week before my wedding so there wasn’t enough time. If Francesca had ordered the lace 4 months earlier when she said she would check on it, I bet I could have gotten matching lace with which to make my veil. I recommend going to Francesca’s only to try on dresses and ordering that store that actually cares about customer service and honesty.

More Francesca's Bridal Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Je
  10th of Jun, 2008
HORRIBLE, I'm sure you looked beautiful, but you're right, no one deserves to go through such HELL when they have so much else happening at their wedding. I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau and contacting local authorities on the rudeness I had recieved.
Rb
  12th of Dec, 2008
I can not agree more with your comments. I have been a customer of Francesca's bridal for at least 8 years. I have purchased countless prom gowns there and for every wedding that I have been a bridesmaid for it's the first place I recommend in taking the bride.

Well back in July my best friend started planning her wedding. She had purchased her dress at a different shop but we still decided to go to Francesca's for our bridesmaid dresses. Francesca was available to assist us and things went well. We tried on a broad range of dresses, and found a dress we all agreed upon. Approximately one week later I went in for my fitting so they could order my dress. I didn't have the time to get fitted the first day. I paid in full $180 for the dress. The girl that measured me was Francesca's daughter, conisidentally she remebered me from coming in the shop years prior. At this point we did receive customer service as expected.

A few weeks later my best friend called her wedding off. She called Francesca's the next day to find out if there was anything that could be done to cancel the dress order. The first girl that she talked to said it was early enough that they may be able to cancel but that she needed to contact the manufacturer and that she would call my friend back within the next day or so. No phone call, of course. So my friend called again and again. Kept getting the run around for approximately two weeks. Finally someone at the bridal shop told her there was no way to cancel and the money would not be refunded.

The wedding date was scheduled for December 13th. So it was our understanding the dresses would be in at least two weeks prior to that date. Giving time for final fittings and alterations. I called the week of thanksgiving to check on the status of my dress. I knew that I was going to immediately sell the dress but it was still mine to have so I wanted it. I left a message and was never returned a phone call. Four days later I called again, I got a hold of a lady who said there was a trunk show that weekend and she couldn't get to the paperwork so she would have to call me back. Guess what, no call. Finally I called again, expressed my concern about their horrible customer service practices and questioned my dress. The representative said the dress would be there by the weekend but that they would call me to let me know it was in. By this time it's the week before the scheduled event.

On Tuesday Dec 9th I called to find out the status of my dress because i hadn't heard anything as I was promised from the representative. This time I got "the manager, Jerry". I'm not sure if Jerry is the real manager or if she was trying to inhibit me from expressing my concerns to Francesca directly but she claimed Francesca wasn't in that day and she wasn't sure when she would be able to call me back. I finally just said I needed to know the status of my dress and Jerry responded that the dresses had been in since last Thursday and they notified the bride. She said it's their policy to notifiy the bride and she will tell the girls.

I understand this policy, I do, HOWEVER I think it lacks a little to be desired in situations like this. The bride has been embarassed, she has had a life altering situation to deal with and face in front of everyone she knows and now your going to continue to drag the process? What is wrong with these people?

During the entire process there were many points where my friend had tried to contact Jerry, and Francesca both, call backs were promised but never occured.

The bottom line is. Francesca has a beautiful store, and until that point where you put your money down for the dress of y our dreams you will get good service. But good luck getting ANYTHING after that. Having a dress four days before an event? ARE YOU KIDDING!? THey are practically forcing their alterations to be done by them. And from experience I can tell you they are quite pricey.

I will never return to Francesca's again, and I will continue to spread the word about their horrible customer service.

They made a bad experience even worse... DO NOT GO THERE!