Founders Insurance / Denial of claim

1 PO Box 5100Des Plaines, IL, United States Review updated:

In late March, I was traveling north along Interstate 94 in the Deerfield, IL area. A car insured by Founders Insurance swerved into my lane, broadsiding my car. We exchanged insurance information, but did not file a police report - response times were two hours and over (the Northern suburbs would get nine inches of snow by the end of the day). I contacted Founders, filed the requisite paperwork and got damage repair estimates. After six weeks and a number of phone calls, I was told my claim was being denied - their insured was not at fault. I asked how they could claim he was not at fault - I didn't hit him, he hit me! Their reasoning was that since their insured swerved to avoid another car, this first car was the proximate cause of the accident and not their insured. I pointed out that I had been hit by their insured, not by this "proximate cause" but they continued to pronounce their insured not at fault and were denying the claim. I asked if they were also blaming the Illinois Tollway Authority for the condition of the road surface and the Sun for shining in their poor widdle insured eyes. They failed to see the humor of the situation, again stated firmly they were denying the claim because their insured had not caused the accident. So not only did I have to fill out their forms, go see Founders-approved repair shops and make numerous calls, but they take six weeks to blow me off.

Va

Comments

• Bo
      5th of May, 2008

While driving north on Interstate 94 in the Deerfield, IL area, a car insured by Founders Insurance swerved into the side of my car. We exchanged insurance information but made no police report - the local Police Department said response times were two hours and longer due to the poor weather (by the end of the day, nine inches of snow in the area). I contacted Founders Insurance, filled out the requisite paperwork, went and got damage estimates to fix my car. After waiting six weeks, I was told they were denying my claim because their insured driver was not at fault. I asked how they felt it was conceivable that their insured was not at fault - he hit my car, I didn't hit him! Their response was that because their insured was swerving to avoid another car, it was the fault of this first car and not their insured. My argument that I had been hit by their insured, not by any other car, and that this was the direct cause of the damage fell on deaf ears, literally. I asked if they would then blame the Illinois Tollway for not keeping the road surface clean and dry, or blame the sun for shining in their insureds eyes. The insured could have avoided both my car and the other car by braking, but instead hit my car. Once again, Founders Insurance simply repeated that they were denying the claim because their insured was not the direct cause of the accident. Leaving me out time spend filing out their paperwork, submitting repair appraisals and making numerous calls to Founders. Not to mention my own deductible to be paid, paperwork that I now have to fill out for my insurance company, etc.