Foreclosure Bank Inspector Company / Scam and lies

1 2843 E. Grand River, #305East Lansing, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 517-347-9091

When I saw the ad to be a foreclosure bank inspector I was excited, as it was a part-time opportunity to fill in the lost revenue with my other real-estate related business due to market conditions.

A background check is mandatory which is understandable and I paid nearly $ 90 and the application/educational packet was immediately mailed to me. Impressed.

The website also detailed Jay Vincent as the owner, a well-known college and professional basketball player.

The material sent is voluminous and interesting but after I spent the $ 89 for the background check and after I filled out pages of applications and tests I see another test to qualify to be hired. Pass it with a 70 percent grade and you get to take a short class to become certified. Makes sense and should be easy.

THE PROBLEM is it's highly technical information and only an inspector or someone involved in construction, or a trade would know this information. Yes, it's an open-book test (you have to find the books or use the internet) but even if I did pass the test, how am I going to be educated enough, knowledgeable enough to be able to competently perform inspections, if hired.

THE ISSUE is it would have been courteous and honest to let the consumer know this information before spending $ 89 in a difficult economy. PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE in the field or related industry highly desirable or something to that effect would have prompted a question or two from me to determine if I was qualified before spending money. I find it near impossible to believe that anyone without related or direct experience in construction, plumbing, electrical or something could be qualified to do such work.

It comes across as dishonest. I'm sure Mr. Vincent (I remember him playing) is a successful businessman and a good person but much better ads could be written to protect the consumer, just as his company has safeguards in place to protect it.

Le

Comments

• Nc
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I understand your pain, however, being a home inspector of ANY kind requires of one, a WORKING KNOWLEDGE of the industry.How a home is built, it's components & how they work in conjunction with each other, how they should/should not be installed, what's safe & not., etc...
    Would you be an "automotive inspector" if you weren't familiar with cars...or a "rocket inspector" if you weren't familiar with "rocket science"?
    No, this market is not for anyone & YES i do agree they should make it clear that some sort of working knowledge is required...but to me personally, this is common sense as i myself would never pursue anything i was unfamiliar with & pay any kind of $ to do so..
    I DID apply for this job as you. I have not yet returned my packet, but am confident due to my personal abilities in the field. Should it in fact be a "scam" (which is why i decided to search for reviews), then yes, i'll be out $89 & all the more wiser.

• Md
      22nd of Mar, 2009

wow ncd, you were kind of hard on the first writer. I read the ad and it clearly says no experance required. that you are simply walking thru and writing down damage. It doesnt take any training to see the paint is peeling or the windows are broken ect. I work in a related trade of heating and cooling, I also do electrical work, and plumbing in addition I buy houses that need rehab, fix them and rent them out. So I thought when I saw this ad that it might be a good fit for me. Something didnt look right from the start. They had 2 dates that you could go meet with them. Yet when you pulled it up on the iternet its all done online? Also it sounds like if your given the contactors job it might be decent. But if your given the subcontractor job (remember your given one of the two) your screwed. You get nothing. I would like to know what percent get the contractors job. Ten questions on racial profile? Whats that all about. If they are interested in hiring and promoting minorities that should be one question. What is your race. The first guy said that he is sure the owner is a decent man. I think I did enough reserch to see that this is a scam. Decent man? Not hardly. Taking advantage of people who are trying to better themselves in hard times is hardly a decent man. He know exactly what he is doing. He is no Bernie Madoff but he is making his fortune off you 89 dollars at a time. NCD I would like to be wrong but I think you just got screwed. Goood luck with it to both of you

5th of Apr, 2009

My name is Jon Gaskins and as of March 2009 I was taken in by the scam that is known as Foreclosurebankinspector.com When I received the letter back stating that I was “hired” as a sub-contractor and not a contractor I was indeed surprised. After a few phone calls to Michigan they could not provide me with my test scores which I knew were 100%. They also wanted another $149 for “insurance” in which to become a sub-contractor. I have contacted several people that have been scammed by these people and they do not know of anyone that has ever applied to be sent back a letter stating they were hired as a contractor, nor does anyone know of anyone else that has ever gotten work from these people. I have already sent complaints to the Better Business Bureau as well as the newspapers to which they have sent out ads “fishing” for people. My next step is hopefully a class action lawsuit against Jay Vincent and his company. I will be meeting with an attorney this week to discuss what all needs to be done. I am asking that if any of you have any information, emails that you have received, letters that you have received; anything at all that can assist all of us in getting this company shut down please contact me at investinflorida@comcast.net or my cell phone at (904)465-3666. I do not plan to stop until these people are stopped. I will also be notifying all the companies and the NBA that he is using their logo’s on his websites. I look forward to hearing from as many of you as possible. Thank you for your time.

• Fb
      9th of Apr, 2009

First of all, we tell everyone they have the option to get the background checks done on their own. Applicants do not have to go through the third party company we use to get their background checks done.
    We filed a police report against Mr. Gaskins about verbal hate crimes he perpetrated towards our employees. He called and was very un-professional, to state this politely. The State Attorney Generals, BBB, and all our lawyers have our information and know how we do business. WE ARE NOT GOING ANY WHERE!!!
    We get thousands of satisfied applicants every week, who send in their own background checks to apply.

• Ka
      16th of May, 2009

so my question is this...why not publish a list of actual people and ways of contacting these people that has become contractors?...and what are the percentages of applicants to become a contractor versus do it all yourself subcontractors? i just saw the ad and because times are tough and i consider myself pretty educated in different areas and i was going to apply but after reading several blogs on what happened to people i dont trust putting my money with them. every company has its nay sayors but to be this new and this many questions and complaints should send up a red flag...but hey thanks for getting my hopes up for a day or so

2nd of Jun, 2009

We are not new! We have been in business since 1982 and been doing foreclosure inspections since 1999.
    You do not have to send any money to us, just provide us your criminal background checks and drivers report, 1000's provide their own background checks. It is that simple! People and competitors get mad because we get so much business and place blogs like these to try to discredit our business. Take a look at our contracts on our website, www.foreclosurebankinspector.com (under company investigated) we pay our hired contractors with these funds.
    James Taylor-Head Supervisor

• La
      21st of Jul, 2009

Thank God for blogs. I'm glad I found this one before sending in my money. I am unemployed with a family of 6, so pennies count right now. And the bitter-sweet irony is that I may have ended up inspecting my own home! I've been duped by too many scams in the past. Fortunately I won't get screwed this time. Thanks for the heads up guys.

• La
      21st of Jul, 2009

Why is it that Foreclosure Bank Inspector charges $89 for a background check and your sister company, Foreclosure Home Repair only charges $59 for the same background check?

11th of Dec, 2009

They are a scam company I also tried to get more info from them in regards to who are your contractors in my area but to know avail. I know I scored 100% on there test I am a home builder and have been for over 20 years this guy was not a good basketball player in fact if Magic Johnson was not on that team he would have never made it the NBA.I am with anyone that has been scamed you can reach me @614-754-7543. People do not deal with this NO GOOD GUY.

11th of Dec, 2009

He is a crook do not deal with him. I am a home builder and have been for over 20 years I scored 100% on his fake test but did not become a contractor and when I asked him to show me my test results he refused.I to have investagated this company and can not find any contractors that he hired. I cover 4 counties and this guy still can not provide me work. I even told him I would go anywhere in the US to do inspections especially in Michigan he still could not give me work so please do not deal with this crook.

12th of Dec, 2009

Hello everyone. I just wanted all of you to know that I am still actively involved in actions against this person and his scams. I have been contacted by the US Postal Service as well as two other government agencies and interviewed about these scams. Please keep sending your emails as I will forward them (After asking your permission of course) to the appropriate government officials and together we can get this guy shut down and while none of us may never see our monies returned we can collectively have the satisfaction of knowing that he will not be doing this to others. My apologies for not getting back to some of you via phone so please send emails as you will get a quicker response and please know that you ARE NOT alone in this. He has done this to thousands (literally) of honest hard working people. I would also like to address the police report as stated above as he likes to use this against me (quite funny if you ask me). After finding out that I was scammed I called (notice you cannot find an email address for them) and had some very choice words for several of his employees. He said that I was "unprofessional", that is him being nice. I assure you I was far more than "unprofessional" and I'm sure I said a lot of the things that some of you would like to say if you had the chance. Nonetheless they did file a police report and an officer called me and asked me did I say those things and I told him absolutely I did and told him why. He then asked me if I planned on going to Michigan to shoot anyone. I laughed (and he did too) and told him that I live in Sunny Florida that I did not lose anything in Michigan. That literally was the end of the "police report". I assume that is his was of trying to discredit me. I have tons of emails fro you all and some of you have also been interviewed by the US Postal Service so please keep them coming. I TV station in Philly as well as in Dallas are also doing a "special" on his cons and hope to have them aired soon. I look forward to hearing from you all and have a wonderful Christmas.

16th of Dec, 2009

Because there was a few complaints, the Postal Service and the IRS wanted to see what we were about. The Postal service thought we were a scam and August 25, 2009 raided our offices and took all of our paperwork. We have forwarded them over 100 pages of information proving we are not a scam and that is why we are still in business as of todays date December 16, 2009. We remain a fair based company which shows people how to do these foreclosure inspections and get paid $250.00 per inspection with $35.00 due back our company. The only process the applicant has to do is supply their own background check through the FBI and we will send them out our Application and 35 page Foreclosure Kit FREE OF CHARGE. If they do not provide their background checks then they have the option of getting their background checks done for $89.00 through our company. Applicants must also provide their own insurance policy with our company as additional insured or go through our "waiver and assumption of risk program." We are still in business and any court of law will see our proven inspection program which works for 1000's of inspectors across the country.

Owner Jay Vincent

16th of Dec, 2009

I give you credit, you at least owned up to your offices being raided. That in and of itself says A LOT about your business practices. Keep sending me emails everyone and call if you cannot email. I am still moving forward with my own class action against this company. I will also forward your emails and contact info to the apporpriate authorities so that you can also be interviewed. All of you have a wonderful Christmas and we'll hopefully see this man's businesses shut down for good in 2010.

16th of Dec, 2009

By the way, my email is still and will remain
    investinflorida@comcast.net and my cell number is (904)465-3666
    Once we have enough individuals I will post the attorney who will be handling the case on here as well.

17th of Dec, 2009

We are a powerful company and we are not going anywhere. We should not have no complaints because every applicant can pull their own background checks giving us no money and we show them how to make money. I am glad that there was a postal service/IRS raid because it shows we are not a scam. We are still in business and are going to remain in business. We have sent 100's of pages of information to the postal service, the IRS, Attorney General and the 54A District court in Lansing Michigan proving what our company does. This is why we are still in business as of todays date, December 17, 2009 and we are not going anywhere...As far as your class action suit you will be laughed out of the courtroom when my attorney will ask "Why not just not get your own background check done and then apply and receive our company application and free 35 page foreclosure kit which shows you how to make $250.00 per inspection?" You all can go onto our website at www.foreclosurebankinspector.com look on our home page where it says "sub-contractor orientation" click on that button and put in the password 3744. Read over the 8 pages of information showing you how to get this work to make $250.00 each inspection. YOU BE THE JUDGE, WE ARE NOT A SCAM and we are not going anywhere. In business today afetr the August 25, 2009 raid and will remain in business. The raid was a blessing to show people even after the raid we are still in business today, that proves we are a "fair" based 11, 000 sub-contractors and growing company and is not going anywhere.

Owner Jay Vincent

17th of Dec, 2009

You are a scam because not one single person has EVER come forward saying that they "passed" your "test" even when most of us know that we made 100% on it. No one has EVER come forth with proof that their "test" was even ever graded or what their "test" grade was. No one has EVER come forth saying that they have actually been paid by your company for work that you provided to them. The only info is info that you yourself have put forward on the website. I also have noticed that while you played in the NBA that you never use the NBA logo. I wonder is that because of marketing rights or they know that you're a scam as well. I'll assume marketing rights. As for the lawsuit, I guess we'll let a court be the judge of who gets laughed out. I'm 100% sure there are more unhappy people with your companies than there are happy ones, and with that alone you know there is something wrong. Also, while you may think in your mind that the raids were a blessing; any company that gets raided by the government is on shaky ground at best. I love the way you put "fair" in quotations as that's the way we all feel about your company too.

31st of Dec, 2009

If top level Federal Government, Federal Postal Inspector, Internal Revenue Service and Michigan State Attorney General all raided our Company August 25, 2009 because of some of our applicants complaints and took all company paperwork. Todays date December 31, 2009 and YES we are still in business, which proves to them all of our sub-contractors and you the public we are not a scam or a fraud. The Federal Government would have gotten a "business closure order" from the judge on this case immediately. We are in business because now they see no matter how many complaints they see we are a fair based company.
    ANY ILLEGAL SCAM OR FRAUDULENT BUSINESS WOULD HAVE BEEN SHUT DOWN THAT DAY.
    Jay Vincent
    OWNER
    "In business today, been in business over 30 years and will be in business forever... We now have over 11, 462 sub-contract foreclosure inspectors and on our way to over 50, 000 sub-contract inspectors."

www.foreclosurebankinspector.com

15th of Jan, 2010

Jay Vincent may be a "real" business but he passes bad checks. He never calls back, he never make the checks good and as of today he tried to run additioanl advertising, to which I stopped. He listed a number on his check of 517-365-7742 which worked on Monday but now has been disconnected.

This time I was ahead of him I held his ads, got the check when it was received, verified with the bank listed on the check that it was no good. I deleted his ad. Funny things he spent nearly $27.00 to overnight us a check.

Sooner or later this idiot is going to realize people are on to him.

16th of Jan, 2010

I'm glad others are starting to post. I had yet another call yesterday about him that I'll speak to today. It's only a matter of time before he's shut down. I just hope there is some way a judge can take away all that he has taken over the years. God only knows how many people he has done this to. We're pretty close to filing as I have enough people for the suit to go forward. 2010 should be a good year. Hopefully the court system's will shut him down, but the attorney was straight forward with me and said that with the length of time that he has been doing this that it could take awhile. I know I have personally contacted well over a dozen major newspapers throughout the country that have stopped running his ads due to the evidence I've show them. So that is a start and if everyone will start doing the same we can slowly at least keep others from knowing about his scams.

18th of Jan, 2010

Mr Newspaperman,
    We send out thousands of checks and our sub-contractors have to pay for thousands of our ads. We cannot or know which sub-contractors send out checks on our behalf or their behalf. We sometimes will put a stop payment on any ad that was advertising incorrectly. We have over 11, 000 sub-contractors using our company name, website and address and advertising in their own local newspapers to get inspections on their own. They are part of our company but we do not pay their advertising costs.
    Jay Vincent