Ford / new ford fiesta - paint problem

1 Turkey Review updated:

First of all, I want to introduced myself. I am a policeman in Turkey, city of Hatay and I am a superintendent at Hatay Police Vocational High School. Approximately two months ago, I decided to buy a new car and I look at the different brand and different automobile and consequently I decided to buy a New Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4i Duratec Petrol, engine number:8Y00038 and identification number:WFOJXXGAJJ8Y00038, color of my car is grey, on 1th December in 2008 in Turkey İn Hatay OVALI FORD Vehicle Company ( 2009 model)..I paid 29.800 Türkish Lira( 17678 American Dolar) for my car.I have got a lot of advantages with New Ford Fiesta, for example exterior and interior styling, easy fuel capless refuelling system with mis-fuel inhibit, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlight. trip computer, Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, cruise control etc.Finally I have got a lot of reason to buy New Ford Fiesta because New Ford Fiesta is car of the year 2009. When I bought this car two months later, I began to encounter some problem especially paint problem.On my car under the right and left back door has some paint problem but these aren’t scrape and scratch problem, some paint began to shedding or spilthing, if you see the picture of my car you will understand me easily and I will send you some photo of my car. I know paint warranty; Ford Paint Surface Warranty protects our vehicle’s paint from corrosion and defective work. This doesn’t cover scratches and scrapes caused by the driver.Absolately I agree with you.But my problem is different and mixed problem. In January I released this problem.I went to Turkey/Hatay Ovalı ford Vehicle company.When The representative of paint department look at my car and They said to me we could mend this problem as painting this side.I painted under left back door side after one month later same problem began to appear both under left and right back door again. I went to Turkey/HATAY Ovalı Ford Vehicle company again .When The represetative of the paint department saw me again, they were suprised. At this time I dont want to paint my car again. When I painted my car again .my car value will decrease.Now same paint problem go on.I want to change my car with different new fiesta and different color or if it isn’t possiple changing my, I want to get back money But Ford Turkey/Hatay Ovalı Vehicle company don’t accept my offer. I insist that my car has PAİNT PRODUCTİON FAULT(FLAW) İf you examine New Ford fiesta you will understand me and you will solve the paint problem.According to me All New Ford Fiesta have same paint problem but will appear in time.Unfortunately I think All New Ford Fiesta have got PRODUCTION FAULT(FLAW) about the paint problem.İf you are interested in my problem, I am very pleased .I am trust on Ford Company.As you said to internet website ‘’ While value for money has always been a top priority in developing Ford vehicles, that concern has never compromised quality or the pursuit of quality solutions. Ford has always strived to meet consumers' real-life requirements—from smaller cars for Europeans to "smarter" cars for the ever-changing environment. I know that you pay attention customer satisfaction and you will help me and will solve my paint problem.

Adres:Hatay Polis Meslek Yüksek Okulu
Müdürlüğü
Antakya/Hatay
Tel:[protected]
E-mail:baltindal2004@yahoo.com

Ford

Comments

• Ya
      1st of May, 2009

I'm from Turkey and I have the same problem as well. Distributor of Ford Vehicles in Turkey hasn't dealt with the problem yet. I'm too disappointed about that. I'm attaching the picture of the problem. This problem appears on the cars of the 25 Fiesta owners in Turkey whom I've met via an internet site.

Communication: mehmetyazici1@yahoo.com

• Ya
      1st of May, 2009

Photo

23rd of Jun, 2009

I also have a new Ford Fiesta, Chassis no. WFOJXXGAJJ8Y74307 in black. Regrettably I too am experiencing the same problem with the paintwork on both the near and off-side wheel arches.

I have a history in the motor industry and worked for nearly 7 years at a senior level in the customer care teams for both Mercedes Benz UK and Volkswagen UK before deciding to start my own business in France, where I now live.

I purchased this car in November 2008 and within 2 weeks had suffered a water ingress problem, which left the carpets sodden. It took 2 weeks for the dealer to identify the cause and repair the problem. Shortly after the car was returned, during a routine clean, I noticed this problem of missing paint on both wheel arches. Having been trained in dealing with paint issues at both Mercedes and Volkswagen, I quickly identified that these were stone chips. This is not normally covered under the terms and conditions of the warranty as it is considered to be caused by external influences and not as a result of a defect.

However, the rest of the paint work is excellent, with no other stone chips and therefore I was concerned as to why the stone chips are confined solely to this area of the car. In general if there is a manufacturing defect in the paint, it is either too soft or not thick enough, both of which a paint expect can test for. However, I believe that the design of the vehicle is such that stones leaving the front tyres are thown up in such a trajectory that they strike this area of the car, which is almost at 90 degree angle to the rest of the body work and cause this damage. therefore I believe that this is a design flaw and the vehicle is almost in a sense self harming itself. I find it unacceptable that a car should be designed in such a way that it inflicts damage on itself.

Just before Christmas 2008, I took my fiesta into my dealer, MALBET AUTOS, in AGEN, FRANCE to complain about the problem, only to be met by blank faces and advised that this had not been seen before. When I insisted that I was not happy one of the service team advised me that there was a regional technical manager that visited from time to time and they would get this technical manager to look at my car when he was next there.

By February, I still had not heard back from Malbet Autos, so I decided to pay them another visit to raise the problem again. This time I put it to the Service Operative that the paint damage were stone chips as a result of a design fault. Again this was denied and they told me that they had not seen any other vehicle with the same problem. However, upon leaving I spotted another Ford Fiesta on the forecourt, also with the exact same stone chips. For my records, I have taken photos of this vehicle along with its chassis number.

This vehicle has now become more popular and I have started to notice more and more about. This is fortunate for me, because as of May 2009, I have started to spot more and more fiesta's with the same problem. I have now started to take photos to keep as evidence of the problem occurring on a mass scale.

I returned to Malbet Autos, Agen, France again last week, armed with the photos I have taken, desperate to get some sense and a solution to the problem. Initially, I was met by the same response and that this was not a fault. However a gentleman from another Department at Malbet confirmed that he had seen this before and was sure that if I took the car to their approved body shop that it would be repaired under warranty. At last, somebody with sense!

I then, as requested took my car to MAC SUD CARROSSERIE, also in AGEN, FRANCE. When I arrived there was a green Fiesta in the car park, which on inspection had the same problem, therefore I promptly took some photos. I then spoke to incredibly helpful guy and explained my problem and showed him my car. He confirmed that he had seen this problem and had already re-painted a red Fiesta sent to him via Malbet Autos. I then mentioned that the Green model had the same problem, which when he looked at confirmed and admitted that it was actually in for something else and they had not noticed before I pointed it out.

He then phoned Malbet Autos, explained the problem to them before booking the car in to have the wheel arches re-painted, under warranty on the 1 July 2009. I was pleased that this would be resolved, however immediately asked him that if nothing else was done, this would happen again. The gentleman at Mac Sud Carrosserie, admitted that in his opinion it was a design flaw and that it would occur again. He then advised me Ford produce the Galaxy and S-max with a special protective covering that fits over the rear wheel arches and that he would try to get hold of some and modify them to fit my Fiesta and therefore protect the paint. This I thought is a good idea, however, I am not happy to have this fitted unless it is a modification that has been designed and approved by Ford Head Office solely for the use on the Fiesta.

Upon returning home that evening, I decided to see if I could find any further information or people experiencing this problem on the internet. This is how I found this site and the 2 matching problems above. I am now in a position, where I will have to use my experience of how this industry works, my contacts in the industry, the internet and any other unhappy FORD FIESTA owners to get FORD MOTOR COMPANY to listen, accept there is a problem and come up with a viable and long term solution. I therefore urge anybody who owns a Fiesta and has the same problem to add to this complaints board and shore with me your details so that on mass we can make the FORD MOTOR COMPANY listen to our concerns and problems. I can be contacted on pedro@leclozet.com and speak fluent English, French and Portuguese as well as having some Italian and to a lesser extent German.

I currently have no other option than to advise FORD MALBUT in AGEN that I am not happy for them to solely re-paint my wheel arches and that I will not accept the car back until the FORD MOTOR COMANY of EUROPE has approached me with a viable solution that I am happy with.

Let this and the above 2 complaints be a warning to anybody considering purchasing a new Ford Fiesta!

To add to the 2 first complaints I have also attached photos of my car showing what I believe to be a manufacturing defect where the design of the car is such that it inflicts damage to its bodywork and FORD have not allowed for any additional protection as they do in the GALAXY or S-MAX or indeed as do many other manufacturers. Please remember that if the paint protection is removed from the body of the car, it may be more susceptible to problems arising from environmental pollution or weather.

photo 1

photo 2 and 3

Photos 4 and 5

6, 7 and 8

23rd of Jun, 2009

Other cars I have seen with the same problem. I also have the chassis numbers but have not added these pictures for Security. If anybody from Ford would like to contact me to discuss I can provide them. First a green model, again both near and off side rear wheel arches covered in stone chips!

A grey model

23rd of Jun, 2009

as above in local super markert car park

23rd of Jun, 2009

A black model, like mine on the forecourt of my local dealer. Please note, I have examples of more vehicles!

26th of Jun, 2009

Another Fiesta with the same paint problem!

27th of Jun, 2009

I just wanted to make a note to advise that I visited my dealer FORD, MALBET AUTOMOBILES in AGEN on Thursday to complain to them one last time and my salesman told me that this problem was a design fault, his exact words in French were "un problème de conception". As a result he had now washed his hands of the problem despite my contract of sale being with Malbet Autos. He has told me that I now need to complain to Ford France as he can not do anything further and the responsibility is now with the manufacturer.

27th of Jun, 2009

I am an amateur photographer so I always have my camera with me. As a result here is another FORD FIESTA 5 door with the same problem as those above.

PLEASE NOTE - YOU READ IT HERE FIRST - FORD, MALBET AUTOS, AGEN HAVE VERBALLY TOLD ME THAT THIS IS A DESIGN FAULT!

27th of Jun, 2009

Another 5 door fiesta with the same problem. You have to agree that this has to be more co-incidence?

2nd of Jul, 2009

I have posted some additional photos to show the extent of the damage and visually demonstrate why this problem is occurring. You can clearly see from the images that the door edge is between 4mm and 7mm inboard to the main chassis wheel arch and inevitably is allowing damage to the lower leading edge of the wheel arch.

I am yet to receive a viable long term solution to the problem from Ford, other than to re-paint the damaged area. It is clear to me and the people at the body shop that unless something else is done by Ford as the designer and manufacturer of the vehicle the paint will chip again as in the first example of the gentleman living in turkey. Personally I feel this is a waste of Fords money (which could be used to make their cars cheaper) and my time.

Where the paint has come away, the chassis is no longer protected by the paint protection systems applied at the factory to protect the body from external influences. Therefore through normal and accepted day to day use my vehicle is now vulnerable to long term damage caused by external influences, such as environment factors. Even though the re-painting of the car is to be done under warranty, the terms and conditions of the long term anti-corrosion warranty will now not cover any long term corrosion damage as a result of this issue!

The longer the problem persists and Ford do not come up with a solution, the more likely my car and possibly many others with the same problem as seen above will suffer from corrosion, that has arisen from external influences as a result in the design of the car. I find this unfair and wholly unsatisfactory.

• Ev
      6th of Jul, 2009

I also have the same painting problems with my new Ford Fiesta (WFOJXXGAJJ8E20758)
    I am from France, I bought the car that was already used by the dealer
    When I got the car, it was not new (6 months, 9000 kms)
    Two days after delivery, I saw those painting problems which I said to the dealer were very strange
    the painting of the Fiesta was more bad than the one of my 11 year-old-clio
    for the dealer it was not a problem
    i ask them to repaint, they told me the paint was not availaible, so they couldn't do it now
    3 months later, they gave me an appointment to repair the car
    they did a very bad work, they took another paint and not the Hot Magenta paint
    I am very angry and then I learn that it is a conception problem seen worldwide by Fiesta owners
    what can we do ?
    are we several enough to do something aginst Ford and to have our car repaired ?

11th of Jul, 2009

bonjour,
    je suis de france je possede une ford fiesta depuis le 30 octobre 2008 rouge tango et au bout de 2 mois je me suis apperçue des impacts au niveau des portes arrieres
    j'ai fait une réclamation chez ford france pour le moment ils ne veulent pas le prendre en garantie
    je suis à la recherche d'autres témoignages ou d'un contact chez ford pour que nous rassemblions nos réclamation

merci d'avance

voici mes coordonnées
    sabrina duponq
    sabrina.duponq@wanadoo.fr

13th of Jul, 2009

Another Fiesta parked next to mine today with the same problem!

13th of Jul, 2009

The same vehicle as above