Foothill Presbyterian Hospital / Medical negligence!

1 250 South Grand AvenueGlendora, CA, United States Review updated:

It all started when she first introduced herself to me. I was told by my physician that I am allergic to "iodine". I told this to the nurses before I was brought down to the delivery area dn they put a bracelet on me that said so. Linda asked me, in a nasty attitude, "how do you know that you are allergic to iodine??" My mother started telling her my experience with lobster and other incidences and she cut my mother right off and said " I didn't ask that, how do you know she is allergic to iodine". Right off the bat, we knew she had an attitude problem. I then asked her if the shot was going to hurt. Her comment to me was " You have no choice, you can't be knocked out". That isn't what I asked her!!! My dad pulled her aside and nicely told her that I was petrified of the shot (it was a spinal because I was delivering cesarean). She brushed him aside like she had no time for him. She stuck me with the needle, missed her spot and I felt a sharp pain going down my leg and jerked. She yelled at me to stay still. She injected me a total of 4 times, each time going to a bigger needle. I was crying and telling the nurses and her I was hurting. They all just ignored me. I then happened to look over and saw a bottle that looked like iodine... I asked Linda if that was iodine... she totally ignored me. After the delivery of my child (who was 12lbs., 3 oz) to get up as soon as I could because I would heal better. I did in fact get up (as early as 7:30 am the next morning) as much as possible...and to my chagrin, the next day I had a horrendous headache. I have never had a spinal headache. They told me that my best bet was to have a "blood patch" done because the good old anesthesiologist "screwed up". They stated that I had a hole in my spine and that it would take a long time to heal. I couldn't even get out of bed to take care of my child. I had planned to breast feed my baby, but couldn't do it because of my headaches.

My family and I demanded to see the head of anesthesiology (Dr. Chen). When Dr. Chen showed up he tried to dissuade me from having the blood patch... and apologize for Linda's actions. I had these headaches for two weeks... couldn't breast feed my child... all because the anesthesiologist has no brains. I am extremely perturbed about this woman and something should be done with her. I hope you do not ignore this letter. I don't write many letters and have never filed a complaint before.

Comments

28th of Jun, 2008

Having handled Medical Malpractice issues for many years, you need to take a few extra steps to ensure that this never happens again.
    These circumstances would have been the subject of an Incident Report, looked at by a panel of doctors on the staff of that hospital. They would have reviewed the complaint and made recommendations, including instructions to the person that you call "Linda".
    FIRST ... go into the Medical Records Department, sign a medical authorization, and get a complete copy of your records. It may cost you a few dollars, but get the records.
    Do not leave the hospital without them. Have them give you a bill, that specifies the number of pages, and ask the clerk how many pages there are in the hospital record for that child's delivery. The numbers should match.
    SECOND ... go to the Billing Records Office and get a complete copy of your bill. "Linda's" name will be under the Anesthesiologist's Services section, complete with her charges for the Spinal administration that she gave, and for the Chemical charges that they charged you. If they aren't in the records ... you'll already know why not.
    THIRD ... See if the Incident Repoort is in the record. If not, go directly to the Hospital Administrator's Office and ask for a copy of the Incident Report. Ask if "Linda" is still on the Anesthesiology Staff, either as a Nurse, or Doctor. Ask the Administrator for her License Number, either way.
    FOURTH ... since Dr. Chen apologized for "Linda's" actions, he should have filed the Incident Report. Go to his office and ask for a copy of the Incdent report. If he didn't file it, ask him why not. Have him write you a letter, saying why he did not.
    FIFTH ... find out where "Linda" is now. Get her Full name, street address, and telephone number. If she's a Nurse, get her Nurse Registry License Number. If she's a Doctor, get her Medical License Number.
    SIXTH ... go to your OB/GYN's office and get a copy of the records associated with this delivery, and instructions on the use of iodine that should be in those records, too.
    SEVENTH ... contact the appropriate Licensing Registry, for Nurses or Doctors, and ask them for a background history and list of complaints that were ever made against Linda.
    It seems apparent that Linda has never apologized to you. It won't take long for the news of your visits to those few Offices, to get back to the "right people."
    IF EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAY IS TRUE, the first rule in Standard of Care issues (like this one) is whether or not the OB/GYN told the Anesthesiology Department that you are allergic to iodine. It will be in the medical records. See if it's in BOTH records. See if Linda used iodine chemicals. All of this should have been covered in the Incident Report. If it wasn't ask why not. There is STANDARD pain in getting spinal blocks; there are headaches depending on whether or not you get up too soon, or lie in bed, and you have to find out why you got those headaches. What did they give you, or what did you take, for the headaches? Who told you to have a "blood patch", and see if it's mentioned in the records. Why did Dr. Chen say that you should not have the blood patch, and is it in the records?
    When you get the answers to these questions, you'll be ready to hear what those people now have in mind. Follow through on this, to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'll send you an email, to make sure that you get started on it.
    Jovial Jack