Foothill Federal Credit Union / Mispresentation

Foothill Federal Credit Union
30 S. First Avenue, Arcadia
On 07/16/09, I had called the CU to inquire about the purchase of a cashier’s check, certified check and a bank check. I also asked for the explanation of each in great detail as I was seeking accurate information.

On 7/17/09, a friend of mine and I made a trip to Arcadia to purchase a bank check and asked the teller for again the definition of each, the teller was unsure and she asked a colleague for clarification on the different checks offered. I was told by the teller, like the telephone line center representative that a bank check could be stopped and a cashier’s check could not. I took detailed notes because I wanted to be sure I was making an educated purchase since this was a huge purchase for my husband and me. I had remembered the teller because 3 weeks prior to 07/17/09 she had assisted me.

I made the purchase o a bank check on 07/17/09. What I thought was a bank check was made out to US 1 Movers for $777.00, without such payment to the moving company my items were going to be held hostage and I was seeking alternatives, since the interstate move was becoming shady and I was becoming leary of the movers.

I feel deceived and not supported by the CU. INACURATE information was given to me by the teller and I had asked over and over for clear definitions in case I was in a situation like this. I am now out $777.00 for wrong info provided to me by a teller.
On 7/17/23 I spoke to Cindy and Lupe, both managers at the Credit Union. I was basically called a liar, when I spoke to Lupe and she said she spoke to the teller and said bank checks were not available by the CU. I was NEVER at any point informed of that. I specifically made a trip to the CU for the purchase of a bank check. If I would have known a bank check was not an option at the CU, I would have sought services elsewhere. I truly feel deceived from a bank I have been loyal to for over 20 years and feel a degree of misrepresentation. I now have no alternative measures. It is clear to me that perhaps an understanding of the types of check offered by the CU needs to be defined. I am extremely frustrated, angry and disappointed of the poor business practices.

D  11th of Aug, 2009 by
This is an unfortunate circumstance. Here is a recap of our response timeline. I first became aware that there was a potential member service issue late in the afternoon on July 23. I called Ms. Romero-Stewart and left a voicemail that evening at 6:18pm. I was out of the office on July 24 and 27. I made numerous attempts to contact Ms. Romero-Stewart starting on July 29 until we finally were able to reach other on July 30.

When Ms. Romero-Stewart and I were finally able to contact each other, we had an open discussion. She clearly stated her side of her interaction with us and I clearly stated our position. We had a difference in opinion on the communications and events that took place. Either way, I believe that the member truly believes we provided her with misinformation. I never indicated she was a liar. Again, for any miscommunication, we do apologize. We did indicate that stop payments could be placed and that is true but there are strict limitations. Again, the limitations are clearly identified on our fee schedule and account agreement but we could have done a better job in stating those to her. I did agree with her on that point and for that I did apologize.

I want to focus back on why she feels that a loss occurred. When we spoke on the phone, she stated that she had paid a moving company for services and she received her goods. I asked her for more details about her dealings with the moving company but she stated that she did not want to expand. She did not indicate exactly what loss had occurred nor was any attempt made to resolve the dispute with the moving company. She then hung up on me. At the end of conversation, she did not clearly explain to me why she felt she was out $777. In my opinion, that is the issue; did our communications to her result in a direct loss? With all of the facts presented, the answer would be no.

As a financial institution, we are bound by rules and regulations that seriously limit our ability to place a stop payment for any reason, other than lost, stolen or destroyed, on either a bank check (teller check) or a cashier’s check. If we do not follow these rules and regulations, then we become liable for payment. It is not that we do not want to help out our members but, at this point, we are unable to do so. We take member service very seriously and I truly wish there was a better outcome possible for this situation.
N  8th of Apr, 2011 by
This don't seem to be an "unfortunate incident", seems to me its a total "Lack of Training" which is very common these days. And I don't even know the credit union or the person who expereienced the bad service.
N  8th of Apr, 2011 by
This don't seem to be an "unfortunate incident", seems to me its a total "lack of training which is very common these days. And I don't even know the credit uon or the person who experienced the bad service.