Food Lion / unethical behavior/false accusations

Garner, NC, United States Review updated:

Food Lion in Garner NC on 5th Ave is a joke. My daughter had been working there since June of this year. I had to pick her up today, August 15, 2016, because they falsely accused her of stealing when she was given a "On Me Sticker" to get something to eat 3 months ago(back in June when she was first hired). I asked to see the surveillance footage of her stealing and they stated they could not show it to me. Really?? You can accuse my child of stealing but can't show me the proof! My child's story never changed that she was given the sticker by an employee and they stated it was for an item of her choosing. I am confused how you can fire someone 3 months later for so called stealing and then can't show the evidence to prove your accusation. I am one of those parents that if you are wrong I believe in disciplining the child but if they are right I am going to go to back for them. I believe my child when she stated she did not steal, she enjoyed working there even with the rudeness and attitudes of fellow employees. She enjoyed the interaction with the customers. This location is filled with rude and racist employees and has been since I started shopping here in 2013. The Store managers are rude and they have perverted male employees that will stare and make sexist comments towards women that come in and out of the store. My daughter has never been accused of stealing from any of the previous 5 jobs she has held over the past 5 years. She has always been commended for her excellent customer service skills and her professionalism. I was called to pick her up by a Loss Prevention Agent who called me being rude and spoke to me like I was ###ed when I came to the store to pick her up. I called the corporate office in Salisbury NC and everyone there acted as if the didn't know who the store's General Manager was. I will not shop at any of their locations ever again! Monthly I spend at least 600 in CASH on food and personal items since 2013. They will have "Smooth"(a store manager) follow you around the store like you are going to steal something. Then you have the other managers and employees that are more worried about their weave, make-up and false eyelashes that it annoys them to help you locate one item. I am going to post this on the BBB website and Facebook. Food Lion does not care about what goes on in their facilities or how their Managers treat their employees. The disrespect and humiliation they showed my child today was disgraceful. If they only wanted her to work the summer they could have made that known from the beginning and not falsely accuse her of stealing in order to let her go!

I want them to pay her for the days she was to work the week of 8/15/2016! They owe her an apology for embarrassing her by calling her a thief and firing her! I want them to give her her job back because she did not steal anything from the store!

Ni
Aug 15, 2016

Comments

•   Aug 16, 2016

"I asked to see the surveillance footage of her stealing and they stated they could not show it to me. Really?? You can accuse my child of stealing but can't show me the proof! "

Correct. They can only show law enforcement without a court order.

How old is your daughter that she has had 5 jobs in 5 years? In North Carolina, you have to be 16 to get a job, and that is with a work permit. If your daughter has had 5 jobs in 5 years, then your daughter is at least 21 years old. Old enough to fend for herself, and certainbly old enough to lie to you about why she got fired.

• Ni
      Aug 16, 2016

Since you are assuming let me explain to you how my child has had 5 jobs in 5 years... we are from NJ and she has been working since she was 13. Babysitting in our community was her first job. Once we moved to NC she has worked as a babysitter, at Papa John's, Moe's and Arby's :-) My daughter has never been accused of stealing and nor has she stolen anything! She works harder than many adults to earn money for whatever she wants! I have worked in Retail and you don't wait 3 months to fire an employee who stole an item or give them a great evaluation during their 30 day period of which the so called theft occurred. Also, you are allowed show the evidence to the person whom you are accusing of theft without law enforcement being present! Oh and by the way corporate is handling it and stated that the actions taken were not by policy! :-) enjoy your day!

• Cu
      Aug 16, 2016

I am not saying your daughter did anything wrong, but you start with the story then you call the employees names and then a rant for no reason

what is this rant: "This location is filled with rude and racist employees and has been since I started shopping here in 2013. The Store managers are rude and they have perverted male employees that will stare and make sexist comments towards women that come in and out of the store." And you want her job back.

if you believe your daughter and want to stand on principle, then call the labor board and go after them and they will get the video. if you want to just call names and just throw out insults that will get you nothing