Florida Department of Children and Families / inability to contact representative

1 West Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

Unable to reach anyone at FL DCF (Department of Children and Families) regarding food stamps program. I recently applied online and received a letter in the mail. The letter was dated for the same day they wanted me in another city 30 miles away for a face to face interview. The case number is all zeros [protected] and the number at the top of the letter just rings with no answer. I called the regional office, who was unable to help me. They advised me everyone is having the same problem reaching the satellite offices and gave me a number to call. The number they gave me is constantly busy. They gave me a number to the call center. The call center was an automated line which asked me for my social security number and date of birth. After toying around with their menus, I entered my DOB and SSN. The recording came on and said they were unable to help me due to high call volumes. I called the regional office once again. They then gave me a number to a supervisor at the local office where I left a message. Nobody returned my call. I tried the other city's satellite office number where they gave me yet another number to call for my local office. That number too, is constantly busy and never ever rings, as if it is off the hook. The ACCESS website had no information about my application either. Six hours later, after non stop calls for information to the regional office, they gave me an email address. I'll be lucky to receive a response. As a tax payer, I demand better service than this. Outsourced companies are making big money off our tax dollars only to provide little, if any, service.

Comments

• Ri
      22nd of Oct, 2009

My brothers psychotic ex disapeared with his 3 week old baby and all their belongings while he was at work. She was a runnaway as a teen and several times while they were dating. She has since been seen wondering the streets at 2 am with the baby and dropped the baby 2xs on it head. Once on concreate. She screamed at her grandfather when he tried to call 911. Her family and ours have all made several complaints with DCF and they all have been brushed off. They said she has a roof, 4 walls, running water, and electric so there is no harm. Though, the house has a convicted fellon living in it, drug atticks and she is having sex with guys infront of the newborn! His attorney was the one who said go to DCF first, what help! He is now working on getting an emergency injunction since she is planning on running to Texas tomorrow with the baby and new boyfriend. He is also suing the state and DCF. I am looking for more stories like this to give his attorney and him. The baby is less than 2 months now.

• Ad
      30th of Oct, 2009

This place is rediculous, , , , , , , , im not trying to make a living off state benefits but for the first time in my life i needed help and applied, I went throughthe same runaround, no one to complain to about anything

i sent in EVERYTHING they asked for including my sons last 4 weeks of pay stubs, , , , 1 week in there he didnt work because he had midterms and had taken the week off to study and take his exams so he didnt have his pay stubs, , , well the worker who called me wanted that weeks pay stubs and i tried to explain to her thaat he didnt work that week and didnt have one so i went to his job and embarased us both by telling his boss i needed a ltter from her stating he didnt work that week, so she gave me one which i faxed from her office, , , , , , , , also if the worker would havebothered to look she would have seen on his very last and most recent pay stub the year to date earnings, , , , she said none of that was acceptable and we were denied, , , , how rediculous, , i make 500 a month, my ex is kind enough to help me pay some bills otherwise iw ould never make it, , , i am in school to try to get a better job, this is just so frustrating and theres no one to complain to or get help. as iw rite this i havent eaten in 3 days because i dont get paid until next week, my son eats at school when someone has extra food and my youngest eats every day at his dads house leaving me no time to visit him, its so easy to just give up,

• Kb
      21st of Feb, 2010

Is anyone out there listening to any of these complaints listed on your site as "comments?"

• Br
      21st of Feb, 2010

What I have experienced is. Forget about doing anything over the phone. I was laid off and needed food stamps. I did everything asked and then had a phone appointment to determine eligibility. Well.. I called right at that specific and could not get through. I spent the next 4 hours calling every 5 minutes. No luck. I then received a letter in the mail saying ..due to you missing your appointment you have been denied. I was furious! I found out where the office was ( Sanford) and drove down in person. When I walked in.. it reminded me of a ZOO! Some of the guys working there were acting like children throwing a nurf football back & forth like there job was a joke. To make this story short. You MUST go there in person to get any assistance. When I went down in person and explained what happened and they realized I wasn't going away and was visibly upset .. I finally got some help. But.. you must go in person as your phone call = waisted time. They know the phone is ringing.. they just don't give a dam about you. Some serious house cleaning needs to happen at DCF!

• Cy
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I got laid off 4 weeks ago. I didnt get and unemployment check until saturday. Four weeks no check, no money. I have 2boys in school, a 20 year old daughter and a 7 month old granbaby. We all kinda depended on my income because it was good. I was an electrician. I still am just laid off. Even before I got laid off I have applied for help. Florida kid care and healthy kids. I never heard back from them and when I call they say "we have such a high case volume". I have seen people around me get help quick. I have worked all my life and paid my taxes. I don't get child support. We are livin off what my daughter is making at the resturant and the kindnrss of these church charities. I applied for help feb 15 and still nothing.
    What am I doing wrong? I have people tell me, well you dont know how to work the system. I cant even get the system to answer me. What can I do? What am I suppose to do? I am scared for my kids.

• Fl
      12th of Apr, 2011

OUR NEW GOVENOR NEEDS TO GIVE MORE JOBS IN HIS OWN DEPARTMENTS, STARTING WITH DCF! HIRE SOME FREAKING PEOPLE TO ANSWER THE PHONES. EVERY DCF LOCAL OFFICE GIVES THE SAME NUMBER FOR EVERYTHING! I HAVE BEEN LOCKED OUT OF THE ACCESS FLORIDA SITE AND OF COURSE, IT GIVES THE SAME NUMBER. I CALL AND THERE IS NO SELECTION FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES. IF I GO FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHY I AM CALLING, IT ALWAYS SAYS ALL AGENTS ARE BUSY. THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE PEOPLE ANSWERING THE PHONE SINCE EVERYONE IN ONE SATE IS CALLING THE SAME DAMN NUMBER. I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR 7 COMPLETE DAYS WITH NO ANSWER. THIS IS CRAZY!I ALSO GOT A LETTER TO RECERTIFY, HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO DO THAT WHEN I CAN NOT GET ONLINE OR GET AN ANSWER ON THIER USELESS TELEPHONE NUMBER!

• Sh
      29th of May, 2012

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET SOMEONE AT DCF FOR OVER A WEEK FOR RE-CERTIFICATION NONE OF THE NUMBERS WORK. ALL IT DO IS FUSTRATE YOU. WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP PEOPLE TRYING TO GET HELP INSTEAD OF GETTING THE RUN AROUND. I AM A RELATIVE CAREGIVER FOR MY 2 GRAND CHILDREN . THE SYSTEM IS UPSETTING AND FUSTRATING

• Me
      4th of Jan, 2019

whom it may concern; My sister has gaurdian ship of her.granddaughter she needs to contact her DCF caseworker she has emailed this caseworker she has called this caseworker the case is in Orange, county.Orlando, Florida..this seriously needs to be looked into the gaurdian AdLitum can never answer her questions regarding the case.She is not being notified of court dates .She does not have a social security number for the infant because she cannot apply for it that the DCF has to do that the child has been with her for six months ..why can't these case workers do their jobs in a timely manner... Concerned Sister...Melanie L. Freeman Thankyou... Janurary 4th 2019... [email protected]