Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center Unethical Practices / Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center Unethical Practices

1 Brooklyn, NY, United States

Unethical Practices – Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center

I am one of the many victims of Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center. Today May 23rd, 2013 I have witnessed several lives including my own being put at jeopardy and strain by Gene Kemmer for profits by the so called non profit origination.

My story is no other than the ones I have heard today except I noticed the pattern and others have not until we began to brain storm.

On May 2nd of 2013 I have been pulled over by the 63rd precinct. As the police officers began to interrogate everyone in the car they were in unpleasantly surprised to find nothing. At the last point, they decided to present me with a breathalyzer test. After all the hassle they have put me through, I simply refused it as it was given to me as an option. Being a United States citizen of America, I have the right to refuse it and hire an attorney to defend me.

At time of court, the judge has suspended my driving privileges in the state of New York. Additionally, the judge mandated an alcohol and substance abuse screening or better known as assessment. This is all standard for New York City.

At the end of the court date, I was given paperwork that included a toll free number in assistance of obtaining a local “assessment” facility. Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center was on the list and was provided for the assessment. The judge has given me a deadline date of the 10th of May. That is a total of five days after the court date. I have immediately called the toll free number on the 3rd and was given a contact to Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center. I constantly repeated myself stating that I need an assessment immediately in request of the judge. They completely did not care and advised me that the only date available was 16th of May. I called my lawyer and he advised me that he would present this information during next court date.

After patiently waiting for the big “assessment” day, I arrived at a dingy second floor place on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn where I meant Gene Kemmer. His first question was how are you paying and cash is preferred. When I replied that I have insurance he took my card and was extremely glad to hear that they are in the “network” with my insurance company. This means guaranteed payment. After a few minutes of conversation he scrabbled and had the front desk find necessary paperwork for what he called “abuse screening.”

We began the screening with varies questions of background, past, pastime (hobbies), personal interests, and yes how often I drink, weather or not I do drugs. After replying to all the questions with “I have had a normal and fulfilled childhood, in college, have not nor do I plan on doing drugs” the screening was done. At the end of the question assessment, he calculated all my responses in a point table, which showed “zero.” This means that I am not even close to any sort of abuse whatsoever. Furthermore, after the verbal screening Gene has presented me with urine test, which also reflected no abuse of any substance.

On the 21st of May, I have filled out all the necessary documentation for the reclaim of my seized vehicle. Immediately day after, Gene Kemmer called me his standardized sales pitch. The conversation began professional with him stating his name and organization followed by, “your urine results have come back negative and you have passed the verbal assessment. However, your court date is a month away and we still have time. We have had a meeting about your case and our staff is recommending and mandating abuse treatment.” My only response was WHAT? What treatment if my urine is absolutely clean, as I do not do drugs or drink. Additionally my scorecard for the verbal “screening” was “assessed” to zero. I immediately asked to speak to a supervisor or who ever is “recommending” substance abuse treatment. Gene’s response was to try to tell me that I can only make an appointment for the following end of week. That was not an option I was willing to take. I pressured until he gave me an appointment for the following day (May 23rd).

The following day, I arrived at the appointed date and time, I asked for a supervisor, by no surprise no one to speak to at the present time. I asked for a name and business card, the response I received was “the supervisor does not have a business card but her name is Sarah Suman.”

While I waited to speak to someone to explain how they “assessed” my case to mandate a substance abuse treatment program I have seen Francis John Capalbo run into an office directly next to the waiting room to give the same exact sales pitch I have hear one day prior. His words have been verbatim of “all has been passed, however we recommend treatment and will state that on paperwork to court.” The gentlemen that sat closer to the door just started smiling and said “that’s funny because this is exactly what I heard three weeks ago and the judge sent me in for treatment.”

At this point, I just said to myself I resent my case. Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center is practicing unethically.

Within a few minutes later, Gene Kemmer approaches me with a smile on his face congratulating me for arriving on time as if he expected or hoped for me not to arrive on time to dodge having to explain his sales pitch again.

As soon as we walked into his office, his first question of “so how can I help you, ” sounded as if he was startle and shocked that for the first time someone actually stood up for themselves and questioned their unethical practices.

I began to question how, who and reason for my case to be classified as a mandatory substance treatment program. He carefully reworded it to “you have an option of not attending.” However, this assessment is sent to court and the judge will view it, as “needs treatment, ” nothing less thus will be mandated at next court date. I repeated myself asking how they came to the conclusion and what bases they had to request a “substance abuse treatment” from court. Gene Kemmer’s response was “first due to the fact that you declined the breathalyzer and secondly due to the fact that the police officer stated you have exceeded the speed limit.”

In response to both of these professional reasons; I am classified as an individual that needs treatment for substance abuse due to speeding and practicing my legal right of refusing a breathalyzer? I was pulled over at a red light in justification to speeding and was never issued a summons for speeding. Even if I have exceeded the speed limit, how does that factor into a reason for substance abuse treatment, on which grounds? As for refusing the breathalyzer, I as an American citizen of the United States of America have the legal right to refuse it for any personal reason.

The verbal examination that has been presented by the State of New York, which Gene Kemmer has assessed me by, has shown no treatment is necessary. Additionally, my urine results have shown no substance whatsoever.

Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center is manipulating the perfected fraudulent scheme. They are using the force of New York State judicial system to gain revenues while harming the public for their own financial benefit.

Easy two step process Catholic Charities Flatbush Addiction Treatment Center follows:
A) Give a later assessment date to violate the judge’s request of a specific date
B) Regardless, of urine and written/verbal screening, everyone at this organization is trained to the sales pitch.
C) Then they fax the paperwork to the DA stating that “substance abuse treatment” is required.

Names involved: