Five Star Universal / Phone scam

1 New Brunswick, Canada Review updated:

I received a phone call saying I won a trip to Florida by the universal studios promotion. So I proceeded to give them my personal information but then was asked to give out my credit card information which they said was needed in order for to get my airline tickets.They proceeded in fast talking me with explanation and reasons witch i needed to give out my credit information. Before I realized it I gave out to much of my personal credit information since i was excited about winning this trip. Then my boyfriend went to verify online about the credibility of the phone call and found out it was a scam. Unfortunately it was to late my credit card was maxed out. I am now waiting for the dispute to have my credit card credited.

information about the phone call
the guy told me his name was Jordan opt9165
he told me he worked for five star universal .com and gave me the phone number and mailing address witch check out and gave me a user name and password to access the web site witch do not work.

Comments

• Nh
      28th of Jul, 2009

Hi I had the same thing happen to me. Only her name was Monica and then I talked to a Mariah. I asked specifically if someone was going to try and sell me something and Monica said no, it is not a time share. It is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. She lied completely. She also duped me into my credit card number saying that I needed to give it to hold that special price. I would get a package by email and then I could decide then. When repeated what she said, she said she was processing it now. I told her to stop and she said she couldn't. This went on and on. Also with Mariah it went on with me telling her to take it off my credit card and she said she couldn't. The next day I called the 1-800 number and talked to Stella and she said the same thing. She even played back part of the tape that Mariah was telling me what I was getting. But conveniently didn't have any of the other tapes where I was actually speaking. It is a huge scam and I am out over $500. What can we do?

• Du
      6th of Aug, 2009

I actually interviewed for this company, Its a complete scam. They don't care who the employees are or anything else. All they do care about is that you can read the script and sell. The "multi-million" dollar company has a two room suite in Arlington TX with one laptop computer, about 10 cubicles, and some rented furniture. I didn't stick around long enough to learn much more about the scam, but the trips require a fee of 249.00 a person. Did you notice that there was VERY loud music playing in the background? As far as I can tell this is intended to distract the "customer" from actually hearing the script or figure out whats aloof. Anyway, good luck in getting anything from these guys, it looks to me to just be a big fraud, I have no idea what the quality of any of the vacations they sell, but airfair is never included from what I can tell.

• St
      12th of Aug, 2009

Complete and utter scam. Filed with the Better Business Bureau, but they cover their ### with fast talking and audio recordings. I'm out 500 dollars for a very expensive and bitter lesson.
    Stay away from Five Star Universal- do NOT give them your credit card, do NOT agree with anything they say. Nothing comes for free, especially 'free trips sponsored in part by Universal Studios/your credit card company'.

• Em
      14th of Aug, 2009

same happen to me, , , they are soooooooo good to tell the winning trip and im so happy to hear that i got free holiday, , they got the money from may credit card ang its too late that its was a scam, , , i feel soooooooo bad, , , , i hope samebody stop them to do this thing to people

• Ob
      17th of Aug, 2009

I just got the very same phone call. I spoke to the lovely Michelle and Jessica. While I was talking to Jessica, I said that I did not want them to charge it to my Visa and she said it had already been put through and that I could call customer service to cancel. After I got off the phone, there was no answer at 'customer service'(Five Star Universal), so I called Visa and they told me they couldn't do anything about it and I had to deal with the 'merchant'.
    I called the number for customer service(Five Star Universal) and there was an answer, I told the lady that I wanted to cancel my purchase and have nothing to do with Five Star Universal. She said she would cancel it but it will take 48 hours to go through and that someone will be calling me on Wed. before 4 pm. I hope it goes well. I don't really have the $500+ that they charged to my Visa.

20th of Aug, 2009

Another one scammed here I'm afraid - I so wish I had googled while on the phone! Have tried and got through to the customer service number to be told by Stella it was absolutely non refundable. I have a dispute going with my card company but they are not very hopeful, as I have no documentation to back up my side of the story it looks like the charges will stand. Stella did say on the phone that she would put the instalments on hold (my card only let them take $398 so they suddenly decided the rest would come out in $50 each month til April - even though I clearly said no I do not want this!) she said she would email me confirmation of this but nothing has arrived.
    Beware as well - they told me it $7.98 so I stupidly thought it was worth the risk - never realising they could take out as much as liked - only later did they say seven hundred dollars...
    Did you get your refund obeytheflower?

• Da
      27th of Aug, 2009

It just happened to me. A woman said it would cost two forty nine. After the paiement was done, she said it was two HUNDRED fourty nine per person. I lost 500$ US for a trip I don't want now. I want my money back but they say it was done on a non refundable basis. The airplane tickets and dinners are NOT included in those prices.

3rd of Sep, 2009

I have been contacted by the same company. After confirming my details, I explained that I was at work and someone had just come into my office and therefore I was going to put them on hold to deal with the persons question. I then contacted my bank to query the transaction and felt I was being scammed.

They explained to be that the transaction was approved but not authorised. Also although I had confirmed that my card details, because I hadn't actually asked them to go ahead with the transaction; if they still process it, it will not be valid or legal (at least within the UK). When I went back to the telephone call, the line had been dropped

I have therefore, at the suggestion of my bank e-mailed them stating that as I have not yet authorised the transaction I do not wish to proceed. I have also attempted to contact them by phone and as yet no one has picked up.

Because of this, if the transaction is processed, it will be disputed with VISA as an unauthorised transaction. This should be the same policy with VISA in the US.

• We
      10th of Sep, 2009

i have also been scammed with this company 3 weeks ago. i called my bank straight away and told them i had not authorised the payment of $796 (£496) and a dispute was started with visa. today the company called me again to "help me with my problem" she said she was going to speak to halifax to help resolve the issue and then i had a 3 way conversation with the bank and her. during the fone call she played the recorded tape of the day they took the cash from my account and i couldn't believe what i was hearing, they completly edited the tape!!! then the woman from the bank said from what she could hear i agreed to the payment and there was nothing they could do. I then told the woman from universal not to contact me again as i knew the tape was edited and i was going to take it further she then told me that she had no need to contact me as the package i "bought" was non refundable and she was sending the tape she played me to my credit card company to verify i had agreed to payment. the fone was then cut off!!! i then contacted my bank again and i was informed that there was no way they would have had a 3 way conversation with myself and a 3rd party so they completly lied again!!! i have informed my bank about the edited tape and they are gonnie look in to that and do some research on the company. i really hope these people get caught surely they cant get away with doing this to ppl every day. i am gonnie seek legal advise i dnt care if it costs me more it would be worth it to stop these SCAMMERS!!!

• Ar
      16th of Sep, 2009

I am a member of another forum that investigates matters like this and I have compiled a very extensive dossier on them, and how they operate, and their various companies and associates.

If anyone who has dealt with this company, or one of their mutant associates, could post the name of the company that appears on their card statement and their location it would be very helpful. Please also add the name of the company you believed you were dealing with, either from the paperwork you receive or from what you were told on the phone.

I don't need any of your details - just who the money went to.

I'll be making this request in other threads and on other forums. If you've lost money I can't get your money back, but I hope I can stop their less acceptable practices.

No need to send anything - I'll pop back in a few days.

• Ea
      17th of Sep, 2009

They just called us as well... thank goodness I google searched this while I was on the phone, needless to say I declined their offer THANKS to everyone on this forum.

• We
      17th of Sep, 2009

When they called me the girl said she was calling from 5 star universal but the payment went to universal tickets, hope this info helps.

• Bu
      18th of Sep, 2009

I was just contacted by these people. Fortunately, my credit card is maxed out and it was just too fishy that they wanted my info anyway. They said even if the card is declined, they need the confirmation number from the credit card company and then they can email my package.

I wasn't sure if they would charge my card at another date, or just wanted all of my info in order to duplicate my credit card etc...why would they need this info if it was legit? And why did I have to decide "today" ? I think that is ALWAYS a red flag, and a favorite of time share scams etc..

We went around in circles for awhile, I told him 3 times I was not giving him my credit card info and he kept repeating his lines. I told him finally that I was not giving the info, I was terminating the call and not to call back (which they did and I didn't answer).

Sorry to all of those who lost their hard-earned money to these scammers. :(

23rd of Sep, 2009

Has anyone actually tried to book the trip? I spoke to my credit card company and she said that if I book the trip and they do not provide the service I paid for they will go after them. I was called by this company last week and feel really foolish now that it might be a scam.

23rd of Sep, 2009

I was contacted by this "multi-million dollar corporation" today, and foolishly gave them my credit card info. After thinking about what had just happened for a couple of hours I called my credit card company and asked if they could see that this payment had gone through and they said they couldn't see that it had. I had them cancel my credit card right then and there, they are sending me a new one. The credit card rep told me that if I do see that the charge has gone through on the old card to call them again and they will see what they can do about disputing the charge. All I can do now is wait and see if the money comes off my card. Hopefully I was able to cancel the card in time. Just letting everyone know that if this has just happened to you, cancel your card right away, it could save you the $600. Also, I just recently signed up at publicopinions.com to do surveys in order to earn points and get cash and prize rewards. I'm not sure if this is where they got my info in the first place, but it could be.

• Go
      3rd of Oct, 2009

The information provided by your card company is not acceptable wee jan. First - that's not the name of the company you dealt with and secondly the name supplied by your card company is already copywrighted by Universal Studios. This appears on all Universal websites and any competent and lawful corporation would take care not to infringe that copywright.

"Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2009 Universal Studios. © 2009 Universal Orlando . All rights reserved."

I would politely insist that you are given the CORRECT name of the company who have withdrawn your funds and the name of the financial institution involved.

Ask to see the claim from the other bank otherwise you must assume that they have allowed another party to remove your funds.

I can guess what's going on, and we need to know the link to where the money is going. If your card company won't tell you, make them pay up. They can only pass a charge from the company you authorised.

12th of Oct, 2009

Hi, FYI

The information that came through on my statement is INT'L 0071880342 FIVESTARUNIVERSAL.

As 5 Star Universal claim to be part of/partnered with/affiliated with (depending who you speak to) Universal Studios, Orlando; I contact them and have received an e-mail back stating that 5 Star Universal are in no way associated with Universal Studios, Orlando and are not authorised to re-distribute park tickets.

I have also completed the booking forms and sent them to 5 Star Universal, as my bank have suggested (as I see 'feelingextremelyfoolish' has also been advised). This was a month ago and have not received a response.

Finally I requested full telephone transcripts for the conversations I had with ALL 3 members of staff on the day of purchase, to be received with 30 days; in accordance with UK and FCC regulations. 36 days later these have, unsurprisingly, not been received.

I have passed all this information on to my bank who are going to process this as a returned payment on the basis of all the items mentioned above. Seems to be the best option at the moment, but will know more at the end of the week.

• Sc
      16th of Oct, 2009

I was also a victim of Five Star Universal. Can all of us victims of Five Star Universal join together and complain them to Better Business Bureau? I already wrote to BBB and they notify Five Star Universal, and Five Stars' reply as what you all experience that they take pride that all of their calls are monitored and that they can provide us the audio receipt.
    I also linked them to UNIVERSAL ADVENTURES ONLINE because both of them have the same testimonials in their website, but Five Star said that I mistakenly, falsely and libelously atttempted to link them to a company that agreeably has had several complaints for business practices and treatment of consumers.
    If they are not related to Universal adventures, how come they have THE SAME testimonials?
    If they are not a scammer, why did they told us first that we won a trip? and when we go to their website, in the TRAVELER FAQ #1 that it is not a contest?
    Yes, I've been so stupid to be scammed after saying no to other scammers, but would like be able to STOP this scammers, if all of us will be UNITED in dealing with them.

19th of Oct, 2009

Try asking them for a FULL transcript of the telephone conversations with ALL the members of staff you spoke with on the day of the 'purchase'.

Sent the request by e-mail and more specifically by 'snail' mail; and copy the FCC on both. When (and I do mean when, not if) you do not receive the transcript with 30 days, you can report them to the FCC for breach of the Telephone Recording guidelines, that way they will also have the FCC to deal with. (Sorry, cannot find the link to these regulations at the moment.

Because they are calling across international borders, I don't know with laws/regulations apply, but I understand it is governed by the laws where the conversation is being recorded. However if your request allows for a time-scale which allows for both regulators, your then covered either way.

I will update this post when I find more information.

28th of Nov, 2009

Here's an update - after all the calls and emails to the company and my bank I did finally manage to get my money back - as a chargeback from the bank which the company had 45 days to fight but they didn't so the money has not been charged to my card after all. I kept hacking away with emails, calls and a signed for delivery letter all asking for the transaction to be cancelled and quoting the texas attorney general website that states you have 7 days to cancel a telemarketed transaction providing the goods are unused (link here http://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/telemarketers.shtml) . I also found that writing (snail mail) to the bank services was the best option in the end as they did the charge back.
    5 Star must be starting to get a lot of complaints as I did finally get written confirmation from them that they would not take any of the threatened instalments out until 'I was ready to take the trip'. However thanks to the bank chargeback I've not lost any money at all.

Hope this helps others.