Fitness Usa--National Credit Corp. / scam

1 Grape Rd.Mishawaka, IN, United States Review updated:

I am a month and a half late on a gym membership due to hard times w/ my family & the economy. I have never not paid them. They claim I have not paid membership since Oct.'08. I have bank statements proving they indeed have had their money. Now they sent me to a collection agency. I haven't even had a warning about this. I know myself that I am running behind, but have had no calls or letters . I can't even pay the gym bill at my gym because it is now out of their hands. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!! I guess I have to pay the collection agency for crap that I have already paid the gym. Additional fees and who knows what else now. SCAM ALERT!!!
]Amy Moore- Searfoss

Am

Comments

• Je
      27th of Apr, 2010

Hey Amy,
    Similar story. I became a member of Fitness USA in November of 2004. I reviewed the contract and account terms BEFORE signing with the club manager. The manager's words exactly, and my Mother as my witness, stated "call to cancel at ANY time." I did end up calling to cancel a few months later. All previous billing statements had been payed off on time, and my membership canceled. But, not only a month later I had severe overdraft damages at my bank and checked my credit report, only to find out, that Fitness USA was still billing me. I went in person into the gym and was told that any membership cancellations must be done 'in person.' I restated to them my phone cancellation with the trainer who I had talked to over the phone to cancel, and was told that specific trainer, conveniantly, "No longer worked there and they had no way to contact her" to verify my conversation with her. I have been harrassed by collection agencies ever since, and am now looking into proceeding to court to clear my credit. Scam alert indeed! FYI I saw a special on tv (I believe it was 60 minutes, but I could be wrong) the original founder of the gym(I can't recall his name but it's not Jim Thomas) is a disgusting cheat and fraud. Not to mention Fitness USA's credit burea is rude and impossible to deal with. Venting...
    Jennafer