Fitness One - Ontario / Criminals that hide behind fine print!

1 Canada Review updated:

I was a member of Fitness One in an Ontario location. I joined for a 1 year membership specifically a one year membership. In March I was moving to another province where there are no Fitness One locations. I went into the gym and tried to cancel my membership, I was told I was not able to cancel because of the "great deal" I got on my membership. I left it at that thinking I only had a couple months until my year was up and would deal with the payments. What I didn't know is now 4 months after my year was up Fitness One was still taking payments out of my account! I called the head office and explained I had tried to cancel but was not allowed to, they told me even though I had joined for 1 year I had to stop payments myself after one year or they continue to take payments out, even though I had gone in and tried to cancel. What is the point of a "1 year membership" if they keep taking money out after one year? The company was completely unsympathetic to my situation and would not reimburse my money. Fitness One has completely dirty and underhanded business practices beware. Wouldn't it be good business practice to call a client and let them know their membership is up for one year and ask if they want to renew? No of course not because they figure you will forget and they and continue to siphon money off you for a service you are not even using... how very dirty and underhanded. Imagine all the people who are they are ripping off who haven't even noticed the money is still coming out of their accounts. Criminals that hide behind fine print as far as I am concerned.

Comments

Di
  12th of Nov, 2007

Same thing happen to move my year was up and they still kept taking money out.

Mm
  5th of Feb, 2008

I a currenly having a issue with fitness one and I am on the verge of filing a legal complaint.

Re
  2nd of Oct, 2008

Hi, I am still trying after 2 years to egt them to stop. I have left v/m for head office no one calls me back. I have paid many stop payments and gotten payments returned, yet they continue and then raise the amount. I am frustrated beyond compare. I lodged a complaint with Consumer Protection, Sent registered letetr to loacation and they still refuse to stop. My next step, court. Have you been successful to date ? Maybe a class action suit would be good.

Bi
  17th of Feb, 2009

Fitness one is a scam. they rely on people not pursuing them because it is too costly and aggravating. they are somewhat typical of the kind of industry they are in. You will not get anyone to deal professionaly with you because they are NOT professional. they lie and cheat and will say anything to get away with your hard earned money. DO NOT join any club that has fine print u do not understand. pay by cash every month. do not give them your credit card number or bank acct. if u wish to cancel just tell the CC company you have lost your card and they will issue a new one and of course the payments will not be coming out of the new one and the old paymens will cease. its as easy as that. No phone calls or aggro and one right in the backside for the fitness club.

De
  4th of Nov, 2009

5th of Nov, 2009

I too am experiencing problems with this gym. I went to cancel my membership in September and was told that I had to pay a 30 day cancellation fee. I filled out the form and paid the cancellation fee, and thought that would be the end of it. The manager told me that my membership expired in October and asked me to surrender my membership card.

I was also told that my last months membership dues that I already paid for when I enrolled would cover for September. To my surprise, I discovered that they charged my credit card for September and October. I called the gym in October to explain the situation. I was told by one of their employees that many members have been overcharged, but they usually get their refund within a week. It is now four weeks and I still haven't received my refund.

I emailed "customer service" with my complaint but I didn't get a response. I called the manager of the Scarborough location today. She told me that I would have to come in person and provide her with "proof" that I was overcharged. She impressed upon me that she couldn't process the refund, but that she would "send the information to head office."

After reading all these complaints, I wonder if it is worth my time to pursue my $50. I'm considering it lost for now but I want at least one person who is reading these complaints to think twice about enrolling with this gym.

Ve
  10th of Dec, 2009

Incredible!

They keep taking money out of my bank account 5 months after cancellation. I have left over 21 messages for head office and no one calls back...no one! I have also left numerous e-mails, but nothing! I have a had a number of friends complain about the same thing! Something should be done about this! UNACCEPTABLE!

Un
  7th of Mar, 2010

Totally agree with you !
Same things happened to me.
They even used my credit card number with no pre authorization to take sums they estimated they have the right to take !

So after luring you with 10$ a month, you will end up paying $300 in 5 months.

bunch of crooks !

It is unbelievable how Fitness One can keep continue running business with such low morality.

22nd of Apr, 2010

My wife subscribed to the Fitness One Gym in Toronto, on 85 Ellsmere Rd, M1R4B8 last year on December 4th, 2009.
She was told that she can cancel the subcription anytime she wants, but while she was still on the 10th day, when we looked at the contract we noticed that if you cancel after the 10 day period you will be charged $250. So we went and canceled the contract.They said they can't refund the money my wife paid for the first and last month but it will be refunded within 30-90 days. Today it's April 22nd, 2010 and we haven't received anything back. We called their office a lot of times, ofcourse the way they have the phone system you have to leave messages.. NOONE CALLED BACK. I started to email them and some Sam replied saying that the cheque is ready just needs the owners signature. That was in March 19, 2010. As if their owner hasn't signed any cheque till then. I am willing to go all the way to get my money back, it is not about the money, it's about the principle that if we wouldn't pay them, they would have put the collection companies on us, yet they get away with this. this is totally unacceptable, they will have to pay back.Does anyone know a lawyer or has anyone taken legal action against this bunch of thiefs?

Cl
  6th of May, 2010

I registed June 2008, paid their initial sign-up fee. however, within a week, I cancelled my contract (at the time, my doctor had just sent me to get a bone scan because they suspected I had a stress fracture in my spine). When I cancelled, they told me they had to go through head office and to call them in 4-6 weeks to see for when my refund cheque was to come in. Called a couple of times with no luck. Because I was going off to university, I honestly just let it be and let them keep my $100 or so dollars, for the activation/registration fee - took it as a "lesson learned" for the teenager I was (b/c I knew there was no way they paid me back and honestly, at that time, I was too young and afraid to pursue any legal action).

It's now TWO years later and I just received a call today from a collection agency that claims that I owe FitnessOne a $277 cancellation charge.
FIRST, I've never trained at that gym.

2) I remember reading every page of that contract and in no place was there such fee. While still young and inexperienced, I made sure not to give them any of my direct deposit information and made sure I read everything & understood everything before signing. IF there was somethign that even HINTED at a possible cancellation fee, I would have been able to flag it - I was young, not stupid. Furthermore, under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002: "Contracts must be clear and comprehensible.Vague language is discouraged in contracts. All required information must be clear, prominent and easy to understand. If there is a dispute over unclear language, it must be interpreted in favour of the consumer by law."

3)They kept my 100$ already, and now they want to charge me almost 300$ more?!?

Anyways, what I've done thus far is that I have requested from the collection agency a copy of that contract that they alleged I signed that stated this cancellation fee. Not paying it unless my initial/signature is on the page with this specific provision (and I'm sure I did NOT initial any page that stated such).

It looks like a lot of people have been cheated by FitnessOne and if my situation doesn't sort out, I am completely willing to take legal action. I am suggested all of us here, as a community, band together to launch a class action suit (a form of lawsuit where a large group of people collectively bring a claim to court). Corporations are afraid of class action suits because if we can round up enough people, it's not a lot of money for us, but A LOT of money for them. Not only that, their brand equity will go down the drain b/c class action suits often receive significant press coverage.

If you are willing to come together with me, please email me @ cluong4@gmail.com

11th of May, 2010

I cancelled my membership with Fitness One in February 2009 and they have been charging my credit card since then. I called my credit card company and they were able to get a few months of my money back and I also went back to Fitness One to talk to the staff member who handled my cancellation and she said she would fax the copy of my cancellation to head office again. Well I thought that would be the end of that but, one year later they are still charging me and I have been back there to complain several times and have talked to my credit card company again. I was finally able to speak to a manager at the club (after constantly being told he was in a meeting or not there) and he said that he would bring all copies of my info to Head Office. I am now waiting to see if it will be taken care of. I am frustrated and pissed off beyond belief at having to go thru all this.
Something is definitely screwed up at the head office and it usually starts at the top.
If anyone is planning a class action suit, count me in.

12th of May, 2010

I emailed Cluong for the same thing, I want to deal with these thiefs from Fitness One. It is funny that so far Fitness One tends to get away with it, even after complains to Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection Bureau. Fitness One tends to ignore all the complains. I find it outrageous that they can do ANYTHING and nothing happens to them. If we wouldn't have paied them, the Collection companies would be all over us, and our credit ruined. I mean, isn't there anything that can be done to make this thiefs pay?

Ti
  28th of Jun, 2010

hi friends i want to say that this is very true about fitness one and they are still taking money from my account and i went to them and they dont even cancel my membership.this is happening with me past 3 years i really dont know what to do becoz now i changed my account with the bank and now since they can not take any more money from my account they are charging me NSF fees .
if there is any body know the way out from this stupid fitness one email me on tia8668@yahoo.co.in.
plz help me if you know how to stop this.

Ja
  28th of Jun, 2010

I joined the Gym and took adavantage of their advertised the 10 day trial, but the thing is they asked me to pay in full and said that I am not satisfied within the 10 days you can get your FULL refund. Five (5) days later, I decided I wanted to cancel and they gave me a receipt showing that I have cancelled my membership, not knowing what I was expecting. Weeks later I was expecting to get back my refund but it didn't come. I called Fitness One Head Office and told them my situation and they give me a person by the named Sam Zeibb who deals with these type of issues. He told me that he will process a cheque and tild me to wait for a week. Now its been MONTHS and I still got nothing back. Now the funny part is they changed thier head office number, I wonder why?
FITNESS ONE IS A SCAM... THEY WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AN AVERAGE HARD WORKING PERSON.
I wished I had read the reviews about Fitness One and if I had I would have second thoughts about it.

9th of Jul, 2010

Unfortunately the same person Sam Zeibb was "supposed" to handle my case as well, lying through his teeth that the owner of the company needs to sign the cheque and that they will mail it to me. This was happening in March 2010. The Zeibb person is one of the worse as he's been lying to everyone and covering for these thiefs. They don't care about media at all and they don't care about the Better Business Bureau which unfortunately can't help but mediate the conflict. I feel bad that noone can put these thiefs where they belong, in jail.

Ke
  9th of Jul, 2010

Hi, there are obviously a lot of us out there that are being harass and scammed by Fitness One. I cancelled my membership way back in 2004, I thought everything was fine then in April of this year...6 years later...I got a letter from a collection agent saying I owe them $1400!!!

There are many more of us with same story:

We should really consider working together to fight this criminal action.!

Ta
  28th of Jul, 2010

Does anyone know where the address to Fitness One's head Office is??
I am a part of this scam for the past 5 years. Sam Zebib was going to take care of this for me and I have not heard back from him in 2 months. I think I will go there in person and stop being the nice person that I am.
Why is this business still in business????? why can't we shut them down with all these complaints??
Do they think people have money to waste? Let alone its hard to make a dollar these days and harder to keep a job.

18th of Aug, 2010

Hi I was a memeber of Fitness one in a Toronto Location, the service was horrible, at 7 am the location was never open and groups of people waited. I read the condictions on the back as i mentioned to a girl at the counter i wanted to cancel, i gave them the noted notice and they said they would note my file...however over a year later i started to receive a peice of paper ( it was as if some one riped off a third of a page) hand writen that i owed them money and that i would be sent to collections.
I called the number on the paper and kept getting voice mail, i left numourse messages. About 8 months later i get another torn peice of paper - i called again and left messages- finally i searched for the head office tel number- no one knew who i should speak to and said i need to talk to the lcoation. When i did however the lady that was there was no longer with them.
I strongly advised them to no longer bother me about this as i explained i followed procedure- and thretened to take legal action if it continued.
Three years later I am on vaaction and I receive a call from a women named Melonie 905-761-8514ext 233 to call her back to dicuss the status of my outstanding account. I called her back an left a message- as of course there never is someone you can directly speak to.
I advised her that if this effects my credit I will take legal action and go to the media. Fitness One was a horrible experience for me, i regret each day that i even joined them.
Please help me to fight them and eachother - I am reporting them to the BBB as well as writing an email customerservice@fitnessone.ca as well as take legal action as a group !!!

18th of Aug, 2010

re: note above- I have filed a complaint with BBB please do the same! https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

Ru
  9th of Sep, 2010

I asked them to put my membership on hold and produced a doctor's note when I became pregnant (for medical reasons I could not exercise). Months later they continued to take funds from my account. I stopped payment then they called me and I argued with them about unauthorised debit from my account. Supposedly they agreed to stop debiting my account. But today I got a call from a collection agency saying I owed $30 which is nothing to pay but I have not exercised in this gym since October 2009. I am going to call CTV and Global and hopefully they can get to the bottom of this and alert the public of this scam.