FIRST RATE VOICE SERVICES / UNAUTHORIZED BILLING

Palm Harbor, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (866) 568-6385
I was cancelling my Verizon account when I noticed a $12.95 charge on my bill. Apparently, I acquired my account without my knowledge and when I asked how this happened, the person I was talking to, William, said that a certain Eric authorized the account. I told them they were sneaky and that this is unacceptable. No apologies whatsoever. They just gave me a confirmation number of the cancellation. I asked for a physical address of the company but William wouldn't budge. Just gave me PO Box 336, Palm Harbor, Florida 34682. These guys are scammers!!!
Bi

Comments

Ga
  20th of Sep, 2008
Same thing happened to me! What a rip-off. Stay on top of your phone bills - this was billed to my land line.
Fr
  11th of Oct, 2008
This is a complete scam operation and should be stopped. The address I was given for the company was P.O. Box 15624, Clearwater, FL, 33766 but there is also a Palm Harbor connection here as well. A fax# given by their billing company EBSI from Iowa gave a fax of 727-461-7900 as the ONLY contact number avail.

There was no resistance at all to erasing the charge but this is a scam plain and simple and needs to be stopped.
Ra
  19th of Oct, 2008
Somehow that one PLUS one from ONEEMAILADAY got on this bill, and last month I think. The only way I noticed was my land line went from $57 a month to $87 . I printed the on-line bill and there it was. I called, and ESBI said it was an online transaction a two week trial period and I clicked agree. I told her I have a password protection against change with AT&T and I never did that. I told them to cancel the service and refund the charge or I"d call the BBB on them. They said they did and gave me a confirmation number. This was the $14.95 charge.
On the $12.95 from First Rate Voice Svcs I left an e'mail but must wait for office hours. Scamming must be lucrative since they got me for the $27.90 last month and I didn't even notice.
Ma
  3rd of Nov, 2008
WE were billed for a service charge of $ 12.95 charge that we did not authorize. It began appearing on our phone bill. apparently, when surfing the net or clicking on an add this company sticks these charges thinking you won't notice. They are billed in error and need to be addressed. Strange, when you call you get directed to different personell and you can't get anything done. These solicitors need to be stopped! They must have some kind of tracking system that identifies you and then puts it on your bill.
Ma
  3rd of Nov, 2008
The same happened to my family. I noticed this Enhanced Services Section on my phone bill. Then a service call First Rate Voice Service. Then a bill for $12.95. You can't even find a web link to this bogas spam. This is a way to charge unauthorized billings to your accounts. Beware! I am still trying to find out who these people are? The phone number given is 1-866-568-6385. Something needs to be done about these fraudulant scammers. Another one is Key Club. Their phone number is 1-800-347-0854. They were charging $14.95. They must use a program called key stroke to hack you when online and if you click where you don't mean to click they grab you! Beware!
Tr
  16th of Nov, 2008
I to have been charged by this First Rate Voice svc though ESBI on my Verizon bill. I have no idea who either one of these are and am not going to pay this. Why do the phone companys let others attach charges to their bills? Mine was for $12.95 also.
Ri
  19th of Nov, 2008
The same thing has happened to me. A $12.95 charge on my Embarq phone bill under Third Party Providers for a 1-800 telephone voice mail service. This is a fraud. Contact your local police department and have them take a report. You should know that Enhanced Services Billing, Inc. d/b/a ESBI who is collecting the money from your phone company for "First Rate Voice Service" in Palm Harbor, FL has an address of 7411 John Smith Drive Suite 1500 San Antonio, TX 78229. You should also know that this address is used by additional "Billing Aggregators" who collect money. The company names are; A. ACI Billing Services, Inc. d/b/a Operator Assistance Network d/b/a OAN; B. Billing Concepts, Inc. d/b/a USBI d/b/a ZPDI d/b/a Zero Plus Dialing; and C. HBS Billing Service Company. First Rate Voice Service has a Post Office Box address of 336 Palm Harbor, FL 34682 and a Post Office Box address of 15624 Clearwater, FL 33766. First Rate Voice Service does not have a web address. When you google this company all you get is this complaint board.
Ja
  22nd of Nov, 2008
GRRRR... $12.95 showed up on our November Verizon phone bill as "This is a new service provider this month" through ESBI for First Rate Voice Services and was charged on the account on Oct. 5. I googled the internet, found this Complaintsboard site, prepped myself to call ESBI at 888-295-3724 as provided on my Verizon bill. I made my call to them in the middle of this Sat. afternoon.

Ever -so-friendly Custmer Rep. "Jill" answered the phone as "First Rate Voice Services... how may I help you?", I told her in very business manner I want their charge reversed from my phone bill. She then says that the charges were "authorized" to be made to "US Prizes Accounts through an online credit card purchase by someone named Randy... do you know him". Happens to be my husband, but he only shops online through Ebay using PayPal and he's the one who questioned me about the $12.95 on our phone bill. So I told her that since I'm the Verizon phone bill's account holder, this is an unauthorized charge to my account, and it's to be reversed. She said "no problem, ma'am. Is the phone # on your phone account still a valid number?" to which I tersely replied "I'm calling you on it..." She also said that another charge had gone through on Nov. 14 and would show on our next statement, but she would have it reveresed as well. She gave me a confirmation #, and a cheery "Anything else I can help you with" and I said "just keep these scam charges off my phone account."

You know I'll be watching the next phone bill or two... if no reversals are made, I'll be back to post more... and now off to send emails to warn my friends and family...
Ch
  2nd of Feb, 2009
My mother-in-law just got her bill with this company charging her. She is 76 yrs old! I called and they said that it was opened by me on the computer! I wasn't even near a computer at the time and my mother-in-law doesn't know how to use one. Keep track of your bills because this is a complete scam that was charged for 3 months to her land line phone bill before we discovered it!
Ch
  9th of Jul, 2009
I called this week regarding these charges which they happily waived from this months bill. I then looked further into it and found out I've been paying for this for a year! I thought it was for my phones voicemail service, but this is apparently a separate service all together. I called to request a refund back to the date it was added last July. I told the rep I have no clue who they are and never signed up for this service that I have no need for. She said she could either waive 3 months of charges and give me a PO Box address for further dispute or could waive 6 months and not give me the address! WHAT??!! I asked what kind of business isn't confident enough in their service that I have to chose between 2 options, one which gives me no further options to request reimbursement? I insisted on her waiving the 6 months and told her she will have to give me their contact info. She gave me their e-mail address, a PO Box in FL, and a fax number (which no surprise doesn't work!). NICE!! I'm upset with myself for not checking into this from the beginning, but even more upset to see they are also taking advantage of so many others!
To
  9th of Dec, 2009
I was wondering if anyone who had charges billed for more than 3 months get a refund and how did you do it? The e-mail address that I was given did not work...Thanks Toni
Sm
  30th of Dec, 2009
12/30/09 OMG samething happened to me; People Please Beware; this is AWFUL; they have been tacking on $13.86 since Jun 09; they also only offered to return 3mos; I am FURIOUS...they need to be STOPPED! I'm just waiting to see if i truely get the 3mos refund; I am contacting my local news... WHAT A SCAM...just imagine how long & how many folks they've ripped off
To
  8th of Feb, 2010
Received a $12.95 fraudulent charge that was charged to our landline account on 01-18. I called the 1-888-293-3724 phone number--they agreed to take it off. Told me we signed up online and a guy named Mike Newell is the one who signed up. (We don't know anyone named Mike Newell) I too have a confirmation number and they said it would take 1-2 months for it to show up on our billing statement from AT&T. They were very passe as if this happens all the time.

Our phone line is a non-active line--you can't even call it, it's solely for DSL service, so the fact that someone picked it up for this service is interesting to me, since it's not published.

I did call AT&T to alert them, they were pretty passive about it, and said as long as I pay the normal bill my service with them will not be interrupted.

As long as that's the case and the charge does get credited, and no more charges appear on our account, I'm fine. I would, however, like to know who they came across this phone number. Freaky, if you ask me.
Tk
  19th of Feb, 2010
You have to call them (First Rate) aka scamming ### and tell them you don't want their crap and that you didn't autorize it. Tell them you want confirmation by e-mail, mail or fax that the services have been cancelled and that you will check back to make sure they have cancelled it. Don't just dispute it with your phone company.
Ny
  22nd of Feb, 2010
Same story, through Verizon in NYC. When I finally got through to them, First Rate couldn't have been nicer or more responsive, they credited the account and sent a confirmation letter. Unfortunately, this is all part of the insidious scam - I suspect they treat complaints efficiently so as not to raise a great ruckus, and rip-off the good quantity of people that just don't pay attention. They did say that I ordered the service, but the email address - kust myname@gmail.com - a not unreasonable guess - and confirmation (mothers maiden name) info on their letter was not even close to my own - normally if you order something on line they send a response email/ request for confirmation: none such occurred here. I think this is something that Verizon (and AT&T/ others who allow this and take money for passing along the billing) should take responsibility for who they associate with. Thoughts?
Dm
  2nd of Oct, 2010
After a lot of research, I came across a filing with the Alabama Public Service Commission from October 2008. It listed several DBA's and a list of service providers for ACI. Basically, once you start your research you learn that ESBI, First Rate, etc all lead back to a company called BSG Clearing, who "handles" billing for these companies. From the AL filing I got the point of contact for BSG: Sylvia Castillo, (210) 949-7405, sylvia.castillo@bsgclearing.com. Alternate contact: Adolf Rodriguez, (210) 949-7408, aldof.rodriguez@bcgclearing.com. Also, once I did a little research on the address for First Rate I found it matched up to a gentleman on the service provider list listed as a contact: Lee Liatsis, (845) 620-0106. All this I came across within the last hour and have contacted Ms. Castillo and Mr. Liatsis - no response yet (big surprise). I've also sent a written statement to First Rate, and contacted the BBB.