first national merchant solutions / customer service/equipment problems

1 Omaha, NE, United States Review updated:

Pay a minimum of $50.00 a month for processing, even if I dont use my machine. The machine never works. I have had it replaced at least 4 times and have been treated extremely rude by customer service. They said I can upgrade for $40 more a month. This has got to be the most expensive processing company ever. $250 to get out of the contract. THIS COMPANY SUCKS!!! STAY AWAY!!!

Jo

Comments

• Mg
      30th of Jun, 2009

My company was using them on a commission basis. They informed me that there would be a charge of 20 dollars a month for what was free. I was not using it much anyway, so I told them to cancel the account. They said that the account had auto renewed and that there would be a $250 dollar early termination fee. I informed them that my rep said that there was no auto renewal and no early termination fee. They made me fax in a request to the Office of the President at the company for abatement of the fee. The customer service rep wouldn't give me his real name or id number, so he can't be identified. He also refused to give me a chance to talk to a supervisor. In the fax I told them not to debit any accounts I have on file until I talk to some one and this issue is resolved. I have already bought the domain name for the website I will set up to air all the complaints I am finding here on the internet if they debit my account in spite of my fax.
    I will keep you updated.

• Do
      5th of Aug, 2009

I had exactly the same situation with First National Merchant Solutions. We are a very small home based business and they have caused us a great hardship and have been less than forthright about their fees. They recently told me that I couldn't withdraw from their PCI DSS compliance program, after they erroneously debited my account $160 and then told me that I couldn't close my merchant account without paying an early termination fee of $250. I never received a contract saying that I was signing up for another year, and also I had exactly the same experience with an extremely rude customer service person named Jim who said that he would not put me through to a supervisor or give me his last name. This company is doing a disservice to people and I hope more people speak up about it. I am going to contact the Better Business Bureau of Omaha, Nebraska.

• Kb
      14th of Aug, 2009

I used FNMS and they sent me a machine I did not ask for, then they debited my account 45 a month plus tax untill i finally cancelled them with my bank, i sent the machine back, they kept debiting my account and they are the rudest peices of ### on this planet.
    NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH FIRST NATIONAL MERCHANT SOLUTIONS!!!

• Bo
      9th of Sep, 2009

EVERYONE WHO HAS HAD OR IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH FIRST NATIONAL MERCHNT SOLUTIONS, FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU OF OMAHA, NE. THEY DIDN'T TAKE MY COMPLAINT SERIOUSLY BUT WHEN MORE PEOPLE COMPLAIN, THEY WILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT FIRST NATIONAL MERCHAN'TS UNETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Thank you.

Bonnie Brown
    Dog Trainers' Connection

• Mg
      10th of Sep, 2009

Yes this is the best idea. More complaints means more power.

Here's an update on my earlier comment. Even after I sent them the fax stating they should contact me before trying to debit my account, they tried anyway without calling me.
    Since I had disputed the earlier debits the THIEVES couldn't get the money. It was some BS charge they thought up for 119.00 . When I called Natasha in customer service about it and explained that the company was not doing business anymore and thats why they had not received any business in three years, she said she would cancel the account with no further charges. So I thought everything was alright.
    So the next thing is I get a letter saying I owe an early termination fee of 250 and 119 or they will report me to the other thieves, the credit and collection agencies.
    I faxed them a copy of the no early termination letter they sent me back when I signed up, which is on their letterhead.
    I don't expect it to do any good, because I talked to a former rep and he says they are doing this to thousands of people.
    I think a class action suit is in order here.
    My attorney says I have to pay them first, or I can't sue them. This is defineitely a case of consumer fraud.

• Md
      16th of Sep, 2009

They are rip offs i did report them to the bbb of nebraska!! thanks!!!

• Ev
      23rd of Feb, 2010

A lot of these complaints are stemming from the new PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry-Data Security Standard) that First National Merchant Solutions is having thier merchants adhere to. This has been driven mainly by some very highly publicized breaches of data security that took place at other processing companies. The card associations are making the payment processors have thier merchants adhere to this new minimum standard. So, even though it seems like FNMS is just trying to make money...which I'm sure they are...a lot of it stems from that as well. As for the early termination fees...those are standard in the payment processing industry. You complaing to a BBB would be like complaining to a BBB about a cell phone carrier's early termination fee. It's just a common charge in the industry. The ONLY way to avoid it is to have an amendment signed PRIOR to entering into a contract with the processor that gets you out of an Auto renewal and out of an early termination fee. But good luck finding a processor that will go along with that.

• Ug
      14th of Apr, 2010

Good lord people, can you read a contract? All standard fees in the merchant processing industry.

• In
      1st of Jun, 2010

They make sure you don't read the contract. The lady told me "don't print it it will time out you only have 50 seconds to agree"

Fees aren't the issue this is what happen to me. my account got closed and i have to wait 180 days to get 10K
    I only had them a week. and the reason why they closed my account was "I don't like the way you spoke to me on the phone." I just got that call today.
    they closed me 2 weeks ago. I didn't even know they closed the account. This is most likely going to end my business.
    They don't even have a reason

• Jt
      3rd of Sep, 2010

My local rep was great, but the overall company charged us so many fees and hassles that we had to dump them and go with another company. FNBO made too many mistakes in wrongful charges that really made us angry. That was our experience. I'm sure there are good ones as well, we just weren't happy.

• Dr
      6th of Sep, 2010

Sadly at one time we were happy with this company but then they were not competitive anymore with there rates. So we left. Now they keep taking fees out of our account without permission. We sent back there machine 6 months ago and just today they charged us for there machine not being returned. They also charged for an early termination fee that was not in the contract. We have contacted them repeatedly and have not gotten far with customer service in resolving this situation. I am planning on suing the company if the monthly fees that have been wrongly debited are not returned in a timely fashion, even if it costs me more money just to do that. Crooks are Crooks and should be treated as such.

• Tc
      9th of Nov, 2010

259 days ago by evenkeeled 0 Votes

Not entirely true. We don't have a contract, therefore no cancellation fee, so not possible for auto renewel. There are a few out there that do not make you sign a contract, and I'd advise anyone to search them out. They have just as competitive rates, if not even more so, since there's no contract. A service company with no contract has to wkr harder to keep your business.

• Tc
      9th of Nov, 2010

One last thing to merntion. If you're not set up with the Interchange Plus pricing structure, most likely you're paying more than you have to. Not sure how this site feels about links, so go to the BBB's website and look for "Controlling Credit Card Processing Costs" . It's great advice, and tells you what to look for when signing with a new processor.

• Pb
      6th of Jan, 2011

I was with FNMS for more than 4 yrs - though not always happy with additional fees and the poor customer service, I hung in there - and when I sold my business I was then informed of the $250 cancellation fee. First of all I didn't know there was an automatic renewal after my initial 3 yr contract (and my rep NEVER helped me after she got me signed up), secondly, I'm leaving because I sold the business and they wouldn't let me roll the account from myself to the new owner (not just because I decided to leave) and thirdly, even if I had known of the first two issues, I couldn't have controled the timing of my selling the business within the 30 day window that they said I had to close the account without the fee. This totally pisses me off because of all of the BS I put up with them over the past 4 yrs. They were a [censor] company to work with, and now they are trying to rip me off in the end. A small business who struggled to keep my head above water and am again being taken advantage of by big business. They seem to be able to change their contract (ie add new fees) anytime they want, but you can't have any flexibility in yours. I find it ironic the word "solutions" is in the name since there never seemed to be any solution, just another fee. I STRONGLY ADVISE AVOIDING THIS COMPANY

• Ts
      9th of Apr, 2011

First National Merchant Solutions is now TSYS Merchant Solutions. This company is a rip off !!! Unlike many of the unfortunate posts on here I was able to beat them with their scam of trying to get the $250 cancelation fee. In my case I had been with them for over 6 years and wanted to switch to a company with better rates. They gave me the same old tired bs that they tell anyone who wants to cancel their crappy service. Things like you owe $250 because you agreed to it (which I did not) and you arent cancelling in that 1 month per year blah blah. I asked them not to charge my card any more but in the meantime I went to my bank and put a stop payment for the $250 and also revoked any future rights that they had to my bank account. They for sure tried to draft the $250 but my bank blocked them. I then wrote their con artist president who gave me a bunch of jibberish reasons hiding behind codes and contractese that I did not find in my paperwork. I told them I wanted proof of me agreeing to the $250 and in the mean time I contacted the BBB (Better Business Bureau) in Omaha. BTW their contact info is: BBB Headquarters
    11811 P Street
    Omaha, NE 68137
    Phone: 402-391-7612
    Fax: 402-391-7535
    info@bbbnebraska.org
    They told me that they had over 300 complaints about First National Merchant Solutions (Now called TSYS Merchant Solutions). They sent my complaint to the Comptroller of the Currency (part of the federal government). The CotC did not open up an investigation. In the mean time the First National Merchant con artists sent me a copy of a contract with my signature and the $250 on it but the date on the contract was 2006. I signed up with them in 2004!!! They stuffed the envelope with bogus information mixed with my signature trying to get me to pay. They also started harassing my snail mail saying that they were going to turn me into collections. I sent the false contract to the BBB and they again submitted it to the CotC. This time the CotC opened an investigation and the threat mails stopped. This was 6 months ago. I had also told the CotC of the number of complaints against this 'company'. They do not realize how bad they make themselves look and the money that they actually miss out on as more and more people hear of their dishonest and corrupt tactics. Stay away from TSYS Merchant Solutions!! Hope this helps someone out there.