First National Bankfraud online

On Sunday the 22nd May 2011 my cellphone suddenly showed "Limited Services", however being at Church I thought it might be a problem with MTN and did not worry about it, however by Sunday evening my phone was still showing "Limited Services". I put my sim card in my wife's phone and it showed that there was a "sim" card problem, I decided to leave it till the Monday morning, until I opened my e-mails, and then I realised something was wrong as money was moving out of my account at a rapid speed. I immediately phoned my Private Banker whom in turn contacted FNB Fraud Division and my account was frozen, but too late, the thieves had already taken R 16, 000.

FNB Fraud Division tracked the EFT Funds to Standard Bank and ABSA, I also have statements where the thieves paid R 1, 000 into a cellphone account.

FNB Fraud Division contacted me and forwarded forms I had to complete and open a theft case at SAPS, which I duly did and sent the Case Number and completed forms back to FNB Fraud Division, after that I received a letter from FNB confirming the case is being investigated and will take approximately 3 weeks. After 4 weeks I asked FNB for an update, only for FNB to tell me that I have to complete forms for MTN before MTN will supply information regarding the Sim Swap, I found this strange that only after I complained did FNB ask me to fill in forms for MTN, this suggests that FNB had not been working on this case, I warned FNB that I want my money back and will be approaching the Ombudsman. Suddenly I am advised by phone by FNB that my account was compromised and they will not be refunding my money and advised I should contact the Ombudsman if I want to take the case further...all this happened once I started sending e-mails demanding my money back, personally I think FNB took offense and made a decision that my account was compromised, if this is the case how is it possible, I am a one man business working from home, and only I work on my computer, my business is internationally based and I am well aware of "Phishing" e-mails that do the rounds.

It is evident from postings on Hello Peter .com that FNB simply does not care about their Clients, but are very quick to take service fees to enrich themselves. FNB has all these marvellous adverts "how can we help you" should be changed to "how can we take your money"

Es

Comments

Jul 12, 2011

I am not a victim of Internet banking fraud, but what i can tell you is that the banks do not care if your money goes missing, remember, they still make money on the fraudulent transactions(bankcharges).This is all that they are interested in.We have a patented product that cost less than R300 to make sure that these kind of things cannot happen on your account, but not one of the banks in SA is willing to use the product.Absa was looking at the product for ten months and even after it was approved for testing by the vice president of Absa, it all of a sudden stopped due to internal developments.This problem where clients loose their money will only stop if the law changes so that the bank is resposible for the money that their clients has lost, but unfortunately i dont foresee that happening because the banks and the cellular providers smile all the way.REMEMBER THIS, If money was taken from your account by means of a simswap, the cellphone company makes money, because the fraudster pays to do the simswap, the bank makes money on your account for the transactions performed by the fraudster, the cellular company makes money again because you have to pay to get your own number back, and after all this you must phone the bank to try and sort out the mess, and guess what, the cellphone company makes money again.WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE BANK GET A PRODUCT THAT WILL STOP THIS INCOME?