First Capital Securities Inc. / bad check

1 3051 w 5th stYuma, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 9283049787

I got a check for 4878.00 and a letter saying not to use the check until I called the # on the letter. So I called the phone # on the letter and a lady answer and told me that the money they send me was part of a winnings of 125, 000.00 and that I needed to send them 2975.00 of the 4878.00 to pay for the taxes and that when they got the money they will send me the rest of my winnings by fed ex, so I deposit the check and called back. I called her back and she said that I needed to send 2975.00 by moneygram or western union. I did not send nothing because I deposit the check in my bank account and because it was a large amount I had to wait 5 day for the bank to cash it.

More First Capital Securities Inc. Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Te
      4th of Nov, 2008

I received the same and yes, of course it is not a valid check. The letter is from Canada, which I am sure makes it harder to trace and prosecute. Never the less, anything that looks too good to be true IS! I reply to this in hopes that someone else who receiveds this letter will do a quick search on the internet to see if it is real. IT'S NOT.
    DO NOT send in money to First Capital Securities Inc. DO NOT try to cash the check drawn on Camden National Bank, 2 Elm St., Camden, ME 04843-0310.

• Gi
      5th of Nov, 2008

I received the same letter today and it is a valid check. I already sent an alarm to all my friends.

• Ca
      6th of Nov, 2008

Received the same on 11/05. Thinking especially of the elderly and/or those without internet access, I worry how many may be ripped off by this; the check certainly appears real and there is a Camden National bank in Maine. Has anyone contacted the bank to alert them?

• Ca
      6th of Nov, 2008

I too recieved a letter and a check in the amount of 4, 875.00 on 11-5-08. The check definetly looks real . I checked in the BBB for a complaint but there was none but they do have additional info about them stating that they send out counterfiet checks and asking the recipient to send in money to pay taxes before releasing the rest of their winnings. I wondered if anyone contacted the bank in Maine that the check was drawn on ?

• Br
      7th of Nov, 2008

I have also received the same check and letter. I knew also that it was too good to be true. I can also see how easy it is for the people to scam others the way they do. I am glad that I was able to look this up here before I did something so stupid. I hope they are not able to get to the elderly or any one else for that matter. Its a real shame that they get away with this!!!

• Ni
      7th of Nov, 2008

oh im in TEXAS and i got my ck and letter today. i was like NO WAY!! i called the lady who advised the same, wow i may have been stupid and done it. glad i looked on internet!! geez some people are jerks.!!

• Ka

I received a check today for 4, 875.00. I call the guy
    and he told me to send 2, 975 for my taxes on 125, 000 winning. I thouhgt this was to good to be true. I went
    to the internet before I did anything, man I glad I did
    because I would have sent my money and got rip off.
    This is a same people do this to other people. I hope
    everyone look into things before acting on it.

• Me
      7th of Nov, 2008

Yes I did receive the same check today from Canada, but I remember three years ago when my Mother received the same type of check also from Canada, my Mom is now 72, but at the time she was under a lot of stress as my Father had just passed away, so she followed the instructions and cashed it. She even called the number and they congratulated her and it was a young woman that spoke to her, that called herself Jessica Newton. The bank cleared the check too soon, and could have held it an extra week and should have for all checks of this kind, they know that they are fakes, but anyway my Mother had to pay every penny of it back to the bank, and it took three years to do it. I hope this helps others not to be taken in by these people that do not care how much they hurt others.

8th of Nov, 2008

I recieved this check as discribed by other but in my wife's name. Everyone needs to file a complaint with the US Postal insepector and the Canadian Postal inspector regarding this fraud. The current economic situation will make the most volnerable people (the elderly) send money with out thinking. Were are these people getting our name and address from. A call to your local news channel should also be done to get the word out. The check looks real.

9th of Nov, 2008

I too recieved the $4875. realistic looking check. Looked too good to be true. Went on line to see if it was a scam. Thanks to all of you. I will just rip it up. I hope no one falls for this scam.

• Je
      10th of Nov, 2008

My fiance' received a check from First Capital Securites, Inc. in the amonut of $4875.00 with cashing instructions. Because I have already heard of this type of scam, I called Camden National Bank in Camden, Maine (the bank information is on the check so I simply googled it for the phone number) and asked for their fraud department. PER THE BANK, THIS IS IN FACT A SCAM! These bogus checks are being investigated by the authorities and we were instructed to destroy the check, which we did immediately.

• Gr
      10th of Nov, 2008

Just got a check today I went to the bank before I looked on the internet. It will cost me 10 bucks for the bad check.

• Km
      10th of Nov, 2008

Let me say to all that posted" THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!. I was so very excited to get this check and hopeful that one of the many sweepsteaks had finally paid off. I called the number and got a woman that answered the phone by the name of Stacy which was the name to which the signer had signed the letter stating that I had won 250, 000.The "very realistic" letter was for 4875.00. I was to send 2975.00 to the tax agent. (no specification there) and the final payment would be fed exd to me. When I called she asked me if I had ever called before? Which I found to be strange as to the fact, usually you ask someone who is calling or what is this in reference to...so my gut instinct was to hang up, as I did and waited for my husbands oppinion on the matter. He called and to his suprise the mailbox was full. No title of the company, name of who the mailbox belonged to just bad vibes all around. I immediatley went to the internet and found your site and started reading away and getting more and more angry as to what happens to those not as fortunate as us that have internet. There has to be away to put a stop to this horrible scam. I am going to call the local television station that maybe can get the word out to others before any more money has been lost. I hope those scammers get exaclty what they have coming to them...CARMA baby CARMA.

• Aa
      12th of Nov, 2008

my father in law just recieved it today he was suprised as well but when he gave it to me i was a lil suprised but i noticed that the first mistake was there was no return address that was weird and them the company location vs. the banks location and why would someone go all the way to maine just to go back to Canada and send it to every one first thoguht there fake so i got online to make sure it was fake and now that it is im thinking about telling it to the authorities or call the bank myself and also spread the word around dallas texas by calling the news company i dunno this is just messed up people trying to trick people

13th of Nov, 2008

this also happened to me but i got screwed over but i sent them the money and my bank cashed the checkwith out holding it so now am having to re pay the bank cause the check was a bad check.

• Ro
      13th of Nov, 2008

We received one of these letters today. At first I thought it was a business payment and thought who on earth sends a check for $4875 with no return address! Stupid people. I immediately knew it was a fraud when I got to the part that I must send money. Isn't this mail fraud? I am going to report it to the post office tomorrow for whatever good it will do.

• Su
      14th of Nov, 2008

i knew it was too good to be true! it was to my dad so i had to check online first and yup it was a fraud i ripped up the check :)

• Da
      15th of Nov, 2008

Yes we recieved the same check in Chicago, thank god I know my luck isn't this good, calling abc, nbc, cbs, fox and the chicago tribune, also contacting attourney generals office, this is bad people are hurting way too much for these rodent's to pray on them, get it out there this is a scam, I am also posting this on my myspace. good luck and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

• Gl
      17th of Nov, 2008

We recieved the same check and after checking it out on line found that it was indeed to good to be true. I have found that if they ask for your bank info you must stay away.

• Ki
      17th of Nov, 2008

I received a check just like the others, except that the woman I was to contact was Ms. Helen Campbell, and I was told to deposit the check and then call her with the tracking number of the Western Union check. I then went to the internet and check out First Capital Securities and was not surprised by the remarks. I do want to say that when I said to Helen that I can't believe that I won, she explained that weather I won a small amount or a larger amount it always seems unreal. But then my husband brought the check to the bank and they said that they have seen them before and that a personal friend had also received one and processed it and then that person wasn't able to open any other bank account because they were labeled as opening a fraudulent account.
    The Check was from First Capital Securities, Inc., 551 Se Port St., Port St. Lucie Fl 34984 from the Bank of Bankatlantic, Port St. Luice #1178, Port St. Lucie, Fl 34984and