First American Home Warranty / Rip off-poor service, taking advantage of customer

1 Van Nuys, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-992-3400

First of all the sales representative lied and told me that I could use any contractor that I wanted if i needed service because as a Realtor, I know how unethical contractors can be with shady deals and kickbacks. This was supposedly recorded on tape and I told her that I would not enter the agreement if I could not choose an independent contractor when needed service, she guaranteed it. Well when requested service, obviously this was a lie.

My water heater went out and the contractor that the home warranty uses,
told me that I had to install a recirculating pump in order to install a new water heater, which was not true because you dont have to have this pump. You can install it if you wantyour water to get to certain areas of the home faster BUT IT ISNT MANDATORY.

I requested another contractor and after being without water for several days, they finally allowed a second contractor.

This contractor came out for a second opinion and constantly asked me what did the first contractor say. If this was suppose to be an independent evaluation then why did he need this information. He then called in the evaluation and added things that COULD BE DONE BUT DID NOT HAVE TO BE DONE, in my opinion to make money. He then refused to give me the estimate in writing as did the first contractor.

I called in for the sewage problem again and after giving me a voice mail, and calling back two additional times, they finally decided that this WAS AN EMERGENCY, SEWAGE COMING FROM MY BATHTUB ! and authorized
the same contractor to come out, who is totally angry at me because I exposed him .

A TOTAL NIGHTMARE, I have filed a complaint with the department of insurance ...anyone that wants to file go to www.insurance.ca.gov

you can get a claim form on line
also call California Consumer affairs
[protected]

contact the better business bureau, there are diffent phone numbers for different areas, so go to their website

file a small claims court law suit, get information at
www.lasuperiorcourt.org

I hope this helps! GOOD lUCK

Comments

13th of Aug, 2010

I know an attorney preparing to sue this company now. If you have had a difficult time with this company, I would suggest you contact him at (405) 249-4215 or email him at johnbranum@me.com.

• Co
      2nd of Dec, 2011
    First American Home Warranty - Horrible service
    First American Home Warranty
    California
    firstam.com

I've never dealt with a company that was so disfunctional, unprofessional, and incompetent as this company. Here's the 30 second version: Call to request service because of water leaking into my home theater from the upstairs - girl logs claim that can barely speak english. Next, the company send a plumber that doesn't know what he's doing. He recommends doing grout patichwork in shower - he says he can't help us. Next day, their is sewage pouring from the ceiling in my $3.5M home into my home theater. The dumb ### completely misdiagnosed the issue. Then I call them back and get nothing but the run around and won't address the issue because it should be a new claim. Total idiots and horrible customer service - AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS. I will definitely be suing them for damages.