First American Home Buyers Protection / Denial of all claims

1 PO Box 10180Van Nuys, CA, United States Review updated:

I purchased the expanded coverage. After taking possesion of the house, the register was gone from the gas stove. Flames were shooting a foot and half out of the burners. The company stated that they did not cover that kind of damage. The oven was not working properly. Apparently the previous owners had damaged it between inspection and our taking possession. The coverage was denied again. The shower began to leak. The company said that the pipe had been twisted so hard that it was damaged and they refused to effect a repair. The dishwasher stopped cleaning the dishes and the bottom rack needed to be repaired. The technician came, and I saw that he was not going to do anything. He told me I needed to run the hot water. I pointed out that how we did the dishes had not changed and now the dishes are not getting clean-- sounds like the pump. I asked was he saying the heating element was broken? He responded that food gets into the pump. The company denied my claim-- big shock-- and claimed that I had not cleaned the dishwasher and that food particles had damaged the pump-- this inspite of the fact that no food particles were visible in the tub and the technician never did anything to discover any food particles-- he did not remove any filter screen nor did he take out the pump to inspect it... also no lower rack was forthcoming.
When I called to ask for reconsideration of the denial on the shower-- I was told that they did not cover malicious damage. When I called to ask for a different decision about the dishwasher I was told that all reports by the technician were final. At the time, I thought I was dealing with a shiftless plumber-- I had no idea I was dealing with Moses coming down from Mt Sinai with the ten commandments. They are tits on a bull useless.

Comments

14th of Apr, 2009

Don't take NO for answer. The line reps don't have authority. There is a claims evaluation department in Van Nuys CA directly under the VP of operations that deals with problem claims. If you make your case to them, often you can get the problem resolved; they just want you to give up.

• Fa
      21st of May, 2009

First Home Buyers Protection is a rip-off! These are the rudest people ever. They do not screen the companies that they send out to your home. I knew this company was a fraud when no follow up call was made and its very unusual these day. I have made several attempts to call and resolve my problem and they show no concern and argued with me. They sent an unlicensed contractor to my home and he asked me for a knife and cut the water line on my refrigerator and failed to turn off the water before he did such a stupid thing, I could not believe what he'd done considering I had just explained to the tech I'd just had the restoration guy out before he came because my refrigerator line was leaking into my walls and it caused property damage. The contractor told me nothing was wrong with my refrigerator and to defrost it for 48 hours, I couldn't throw this guy out of my home quick enough, oh and he offered to replace the water line he cut but wanted to charge me? i couldn't believe what I was hearing!

• Da
      20th of Jul, 2009

First American is a rip-off warranty company that only wants your monthly premiums but wants to fix NOTHING. The second company that they sent out to access my faulty a/c fan motor told me that they will use any means they can find NOT to repair a single claim. My corroded coils had nothing to do with the unit's cooling capacity but yet they denied the claim based on the fact that the corroded coils were a pre-existing condition. They didn't care that all the unit needed was a new fan motor-they were using the corroded coils to deny the claim.
    Susan & David Linton

• Da
      20th of Jul, 2009

How do we contact this claims evaluation dept and who else in CA can we issue a complaint to against this rip-off fraudulent company?
    Susan & David Linton

• Kp
      3rd of Jan, 2010

I have had my home for 3years now and First American Protection plan was included so I just continued to keep them for my insurance coverage in case something happened. Well why did I do that?? Every Winter my heating system goes out and they continue to send the same company out to fix it but I believe that they are ripping me off! How can it "Always" be something wrong? Why dont they ever get to the root of the problem instead of giving you the run around? I am so not happy with their services right now.
    KB

• Re
      11th of Sep, 2015

I ve tried to cancel contract thru email phone and fax several times and they don't cooperate i want somebody to do something about it next thing they do is ruin my credit.