Firebird Arts and Music of Oregon / This company is in the habit of ripping off the public

In August, I ordered, via the internet, one CD from Firebird Arts & Music, PO Box 30268, Portland, OR 97294 for $22.50. My VISA was double billed for this purchase, an 8/9 transaction posted on 8/10 and an 8/15 transaction posted on 8/16. Despite repeated emails and regular mail, the only response I have had was asking if I received 2 CDs. I emailed them "no" in November, and since the have had no response to my continued efforts to contact them. I have no idea whether this is a single instance of unethical behavior, or whether this company is in the habit of ripping off the public.

Va

Comments

16th of May, 2007

I've purchased from Firebird Arts and Music several times, never a problem. Try again to contact them; they're a small outfit, and I'd suspect confusion and miscommunication before deliberate malice. Try the phone and talk to someone in person.

4th of Aug, 2007

The Better Business Bureau website of Oregon corroborates your concerns regarding doing business with this retailer.

11th of Mar, 2008

Well, I think the jury's out. The BBB is not the resource many people think it is.

Example, when I had trouble with a Northwest business (not Firebird), the BBB considered it "resolved" simply because the business replied twice. The BBB does not make a judgment based on the answer or what occured - you could be defrauded, but if the company replies to the complaint, even if they do nothing, they will be considered to have made a "good faith effort".

By contrast, a company that does not reply to the BBB, even over a spurious claim, or one that the company has resolved through other means, will be considered "unsatisfactory".

In this case, the BBB only states that there was no response to some (but not all) of the complaints filed by the BBB. In other words, if the BBB sends mail and doesn't get a reply, they note that. That doesn't mean the complaints were valid, only that Firebird didn't respond back to the BBB in some situations. Bad news if Firebird got the mail and treated it like junk mail (as happened to another business I know of - who, as soon as they became aware of their "unsatisfactory" rating, contacted the BBB to clear it up.)

I hope the original poster takes it up with their card issuer. If this is just sloppiness, the card issuer will make it clear to Firebird that they have to tidy this up. If it's fraud, they'll take care of Firebird too.

• Ru
      20th of Mar, 2008

I too had a complaint regarding a purchase I made. I sent several messages with no reply before finally calling. They returned my call the same day where I learned that they had indeed replied to my messages, but apparently the messages didn't get through. They apparently were having computer difficulties. Also they switched their website this past year which also might have caused problems. After talking with Ms. Lee, she satisfactorily resolved my complaint, so you might want to try calling.

29th of Jul, 2008

Also see: http://mickbaltes.de/blog/?p=22

"I do a lot of online orders for the hobby and in 98% I made good experience, but unfortunately there are some crooks out there. One of them, who needs to be put on the blacklist, is Firebird Arts & Music."

• Fr
      26th of Sep, 2008

I, too, have ordered several times from Firebird. I have NEVER had a problem with them. My business with them dates from the early 1990's, so that means almost 20 years of satisfactory service from them. I would do business with them in an instant. If there has been any problem with receiving ordered products, I would first point the finger at US Postal Service!

8th of Oct, 2008

This company is a crook. The owner Teri Lee is rude and hung up on me on the phone when I inquired about my order. I never received the item and have already complained to the BBB, FTC and her hosting company. She needs to be shut down.

8th of Oct, 2008

I retract my previous comment about the company. She did call me back and told me the item is not in stock and will refund me. Still not happy that I wasn't contacted earlier and the item was listed in stock. Hope to see the refund soon.

24th of Nov, 2008

I placed two online orders from Firebird Arts and Music on 9/01/08 and still have not received the orders. I have called, left voicemails, and emailed several times over the last few months. I have yet to receive any replies to my emails but did get one return phone call and did finally reach someone one the phone on another occasion.
    Teri Lee told me in the beginning of October that she would check into why I had not received the orders. She told me the second order was sent out that day which was a month after I placed the order. I never got it. I continued to call and email about my order.
    In the beginning of November I finally reached another FireBird Arts employee on the phone. He also told me the order was sent out that day. I found it curious that he knew exactly which order I was talking about considering that I had not given any details. Again I still have not received the order.
    I have requested a refund, continued to email and leave voicemails, and have contacted the BBB. I still have not heard from Teri Lee.
    By the way the BBB has prcessed 7 complaints in the last 36 months about Firebird Arts and Music, only one of the complaints has been closed.

27th of Nov, 2008

Wow, Dawn. The Better Business Bureau actually gives to companies an "F" rating. Go Teri Lee & Firebird Arts & Music!

• Ni
      4th of Dec, 2008

whoa... my experience with this company dated way back. to fall of 1997, to my best recollection...

at that time, the catalog included sets of patterns for doll clothing.. in 1/6 (B**b*) scale, and in a smaller scale...

i had ordered, and mailed the check for, an order inc.luding TWO different patterns...

i did receive ONE set of patterns, but not the other. and so it remains to this day!

soon after this, the whole doll pattern division was REMOVED from
    the product list!

i had called them about this more than once, and once i got a respoce that, 'if you wanted the money back, you had only to ask' but no such thing has happened. they have my address, as they did send me
    what they had of my original order...

i often thought this was a case of one-off...

this additional info disturbs me, and now i'm glad i never dared to order anything else from them, even though i do love their music.. i read ms lackey's works avidly, as well...

a shame, a real shame!

6th of Jan, 2009

Just an update on my order that I placed with Firebird Arts and Music on 9/1/08. The BBB case was closed on 12/08/08 as unanswered. Apparently, Firebird Arts has refused to cooperate with the BBB.
    I have continued to call Firebird. Teri Lee answered the phone around Dec. 15 and said that she would take care of the refund. Of course, she hasn't done anything. I have left several voicemails and spoke to an employee who tells me that he will relay the message to Teri but I still haven't received any communication from Teri. She has blatantly refused to resolve this situation.

27th of Feb, 2009

An update on Firebird Arts; on Feb 3rd 2009, 5 months after I placed and never received an order I finally got a refund. Firebird Arts did not respond to the BBB nor did the BBB resolve the issue. What I think worked is the the poor reviews I left on several complaint boards. Teri Lee finally called me about two days after I posted about 5 complaints on different sites and said "I'm sending you a refund." Before my posts Teri Lee had not returned my calls or emails for several months.
    So, I truly thank the Complaints Board for resolving what the BBB could not.

• Pa
      21st of Aug, 2010

Firebird Arts and Music of Oregon - This company is in the habit of ripping off the public
    NEVER, NEVER, NEVER -Order 0r Do any business with this company. I ordered three Black 1:6 Saddles & Paid for them Dec.12 2009. I had agreed to wait until February to receive them. After many e-mails & phone calls with NO answer, I finally got 1 e-mail on June 6, 2010
    from Teri Lee
    I've mentioned life has been complicated. Here's the status. The saddles that I have are slightly different than the last batch, the fenders (where the stirrups attach) have a rivet rather than a loop like the previous ones. I've been trying to figure out a nice looking way to add the stirrups, and trying to get some of the previous style--the supplier is trying to track the down, so far without any luck.
    If I can't work out the technical bugs by the end of this week, I'll refund the total amount of the order.
    Teri
    I answered on June 7. Thanks for the update. I hope you can get something as I really need the saddles. Please send me a picture of a saddle and stirrups I may have a solution.
    Pat
    Now August 2010. No Saddles, No Refund, No calls or E-mails. WAS PROBABLY All a BIG LIE and SCAM

• Ba
      15th of Jan, 2011

I submitted an order to their site on 11/8/09. I waited three weeks before asking for some sort of update, as I had got no shipping notice. I waited another week and sent a second email. I still received no reply. I finally sent a third and final email in Jan. 2010, advising that if I did not receive a reply or phone call within 48 hours, I wanted my order cancelled and my money refunded.

To this day, I have still heard nothing from them. I will NEVER order from them again and I make sure to tell ALL my friends and enthusiasts in the doll and related hobby to avoid this site like the plague.

• Sd
      6th of Jul, 2011

I submitted a $70 order to these people back in 2007, including shipping. They took the money the day I submitted it. Since then despite repeated emails nothing. I have never had my money refunded or the items ordered delivered. I think the whole site is a scam and I cannot believe these people are still being allowed to trade. DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.

2nd of Sep, 2014

I ordered a CD May 2014. They have the money, but haven't sent the CDs. I have emailed and phoned repeatedly - most of the time I couldn't get through by phone, but I was able to leave a message a couple of times. There has been absolutely no response at all.

• Ku
      7th of Jan, 2016

I ordered several collections of Mercedes Lackey's music on Oct 28, 2015. After a month and a week had passed with no items and no contact I sent an email requesting an update, I received no response. I waited a week and then sent another email, stating I would be filing a fraud claim with PayPal if I did not hear from them regarding my order. Eight hours later I received a message stating my items had just been shipped. Note this was a month and a half after I'd ordered them. They only just arrived today, Jan 7, 2016. I'd say it was the risk of a fraud claim with PayPal that did it. PayPal is *the* internet payment system these days, and they don't mess around when it comes to fraud. If Firebird had lost their PayPal account then they'd be out significant revenue. I wouldn't suggest anyone deal with this company, but if you do only go through PayPal. Then if all else fails you can file a fraud claim with PayPal and they will refund you your money. I've gone through that with PayPal regarding another company and they are rock solid. I got my money back within a couple of hours.

16th of Jan, 2018

I ordered two cd's from them i did receive a refund from them luckily as i did it through pay pal and randomly out of the blue a year and a half after i had ordered the cd's they showed up in the mail and i don't mean they had been lost postage was new as in having been recently mailed i still to this day have no idea what happened with that. If it wasn't for the fact that i can only get mercedes lackey cds from them i would never order again however they are so i will definitely be using paypal for any future purchases. This was back in 2010 so it's definitely been a while since i ordered but figured i would post about my experience with them.