Financial Crime Investigation / Demand of money

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I received a call from a Mr. Paul Cooper [protected]) from Los Angeles California stating that I have to pay for loans that I owe. He refused to explain what type of loans and was very unprofessional. I found it unethical how he screamed and yelled over the phone on how he will like to see me locked up and wants to send a warrent out for my arrest. I realized he was not from a real agency and this was a SCAM. Please anyone who receives a call from PAUL COOPER know that it is a SCAM to try to get money from you. Any agency that collects money would send a notice out about it not call and harrass you especially the way he did it. I will reporting him to the BBB.

Yv
May 21, 2013

Comments

• Al
      23rd of May, 2013

First and foremost, it is NOT a crime to owe a debt, period. Second, you are correct, no legit collection agency would use the tactics you describe. Both are illegal under the FDCPA. Unfortunately, reporting it to the BBB won't stop the harassment.. Here is a method to fight back...Ask him for the company name, their fax number and address. There is a high probability that he'll hang up rather than give you the information, so be prepared for it. If he does give you the info, fire off a C&D letter sent Certified mail with return receipt. They have to stop contacting you by law! Given the fact that he doesn't seem to care about the law, I doubt that the calls will stop. The C&D letter is proof that you demanded they stop contacting you. Keep a log of dates/times and conversation every time he calls. Note how he spoke to you as well. Remind him that you sent the C&D and tell him to stop calling, write down his response.Then, go to www.naca.net and find an attorney in your area who specializes in ### like this. Most have a free consultation. Give the attorney a copy of the C&D letter and proof of delivery (return receipt) along with your notes from the calls...If the attorney takes the case and sues the collection agency and wins, the collection agency will have to pay all of your attorney fees and court costs... Good Luck!

• Th
      23rd of May, 2013

It's a scam. He had a thick accent? They call from India with spoofed numbers. He will keep calling until you blast the phone with a loud sports air horn.

Financial Crime Investigation - Call saying they were pressing charges
    Financial Crime Bureau
    Burlington
    Phone: 859-918-6972

July 8th 2014, I received a call at the above number from someone with an accent saying they were the Financial Crime Investigation Bureau and they were pressing charges against me. They had my address, name and social security number. They attempted to keep me on the phone and said I was being recorded. I told the man who called himself Nick Flemming and gave me the number 325-500-0066, that I didn't believe he was who he said he was and I was going to hang up. He said he was sending an officer to my door to arrest me. I could hear lots of voices in the back ground talking on other lines.

• Tr
      3rd of Jun, 2016

did you report this to the local police?

• To
      3rd of Jun, 2016

Report this to police, Social Security, and maybe FBI. That is very concerning, that they had all that information, especially the Social Security number. Are you generally careful about your SS number? That should almost never be given out by you; if a person, business, or any kind of organization requests it, you should definitely question them first. For instance, it used to be quite common that doctors' offices would get your SS number, sometimes using those numbers for a filing system. That should no longer happen, but many of us have our numbers floating around here and there, from past (sometimes valid) uses, and there's always a danger that even just one wrong person might get hold of it and use it. Filling out a preliminary form at a medical visit at a county clinic recently, it requested my SS number. I asked the clerk if I had to put it on there, and she said absolutely not, that it didn't matter, as the hospital/health service they belonged to already had it (a valid case); it just didn't need to be on one more piece of paper that someone dishonest might deal with. Look for an upcoming book called SPAM NATION; just heard the author talking about identity and cyber crime--very worrying stuff.