Filene's Basement / Poor quality goods!

1 Snowden River PkwyColumbia, MD, United States Review updated:

FILENE'S BASEMENT - KMART SECONDS. I hate Filene's Basement in Columbia, MD. I just bought a large purse from them last month for $119.00 - you'd think at that price it would last!!! But after 5 weeks - it fell apart. The stitching in the handle started coming undone, the beads on the outside fell off, so I figured even though this stuff is discounted - they should take it back - it shouldn't fall apart after 5 weeks!!! Well, I go tap dancing into the store at lunch today and ask for my refund (I had my sales receipt) - and they say, "Where are the tags?". I ask, "What tags?". They say - the ones that say Filene's Basement on them. So I tell them I threw them out weeks ago - I didn't expect the bag to fall apart! Then they question whether I have really purchased this bag from their store. I say - look on the receipt - there it is... They call over two other managers and ask - do we even sell this purse? They both shake their heads in confusion... huh... what's that?... what's the problem? They don't know... they wander away. Another manager overhears this and says - "What is the problem?" The lady behind the counter says - 'This woman is returning a purse that is falling apart'. He comes over... "Where? Show me." I show him the stiching coming loose on the handle and the missing beads. He says, "If the beads fell off right away, why didn't you return it then?" (Now I am under cross examination... uh oh) I tell him I liked the purse and didn't care about the beads (he nods his head - aha), but I didn't expect the handle to unravel, I continue. Frowning he says - "Well we can only give you store credit" What? Store credit? I paid 119 dollars for this purse and in 5 weeks it falls apart, and you are giving me a hard time about returning it? He says it is store policy, yadda yadda yadda. I tell him they should stand behind their high end purchases and since they are out of this exact purse (none on the shelves) - they should give me my money back. He says they do stand behind their stuff, but only for 30 days - after that they will only let me get a store credit. So I tell him - I should get some other piece of crap that will fall apart after 30 days? He shrugs his shoulders and acts like - store policy - his bible...what can he do... he is only a minion in the corporate machine. This is crap! They lost me as a customer (if they had taken the return with no trouble like walmart - I would have been a loyal customer), AND I am posting to everyone I can " DO NOT BUY FROM FILENE'S BASEMENT " especially in Columbia, MD. (There store is small and doesn't have much to offer to begin with) Their 'discount items' are crap and they WILL NOT STAND BEHIND ANYTHING THEY SELL. They think discount means poorly made crap and if you buy it - you're stuck with it even if it falls apart. Not worth your money!

Comments

Be
  7th of Apr, 2009

I bought a pair of Born BOC shoes a the Rockville, Maryland Filene's basement, in December 2008. The soles cracked, both shoes across the ball of the foot, and I tried to return them today. No deal. It's after 30 days. Wimpy manager said they've been worn. Well, yes, if I had just carried them around in my hands they would not have broken, but they are SHOES and you WEAR THEM. I am disgusted. Will not shop a Filene's again. I'm from Boston, and I think I would have gotten better service up there. Not impressed with Born, either, obvious material flaw.