Fifth Third Bank / predatory overdraft fees (class action info)

1 IL, United States Review updated:

I have to date had over $500 stolen from me by this institution for less than $75 in overdrafts. The most recent case nobody was able to explain to me what item caused the oerdr4aft but the fees nonetheless kept accumulating. The person working at 53 could only reverse one overdraft fee which was $111.00 . Nobody at the bank understood what was causing the overdrafts but they said they were not allwoed to reverse them. To steal money of these amounts from a student who just got laid off in this economy is disgusting. I don't know how these peolp-e sleep at night. I have 2 lawyers interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Fifth Third bank for predatory overdraft fees and unethical business practices. Please send your story along with any proof that you have to Sue53Now@GMX.com so I can get the info. to the lawyers ASAP as it seems that may be the only way to recover the money that was stolen from us.

Comments

• As
      27th of Apr, 2009

I'm in the same situation. I work at a bank so I know when I should and shouldn't be charged an overdraft fee. 5th/3rd charged me two overdraft fees for one authorization, because two merchants ran their batches on two separate days. And when the items posted to my account, I was charged the fees. And then the per day fees were backdated from the day the purchases were made. The last time I checked, its against a federal regulation to charge an overdraft fee on an authorization and I was charged twice. To top it all off, I went in to make a deposit to cover it and the teller told me it would be fine. Come to find out I was charged a fee that day, even though my deposit was before 2:00, which in turn overdrew my account again, causing more overdrafts. But here's the kicker, I spoke to the branch manager and he admitted to me that the two original fees were charged for the same item, but that he couldn't do anything because they had reversed the 'first' fee as a one time courtesy due to my long term relationship with the bank. This is the worst financial institution I've ever dealt with, and like I said, I work for one which isn't doing the greatest right now, but we are still sympathetic towards our clients needs. This is not the best time for 5th/3rd to be playing around and stealing their clients money.

• Dg
      28th of Jun, 2009

I definitely believe 53 is guilty of predatory overdraft fees. I was recently charged 4 $33 charges. Where based on my account I can see ONE being legitimate NOT Four. I was charged the first day, on 2 separate items that posted when there was sufficient money to cover both, BECAUSE they included 2 Pending transactions in their calculations. Hence charging me 2 overdraft fees on the posted transactions. However, they DON'T include the Pending transactions in their calculation on your daily balance. So my daily balance for that day, the day they charged me TWO overdraft fees. Was NOT overdrawn. Double standard here. The following day, the Two pending transactions finally DID clear and Post and I was then charged yet again, TWO more overdraft Fees. I have yet to see if their going to also charge me a daily fee for this. That would make it almost impossible for me to even cover the overdrawn balance to get my account out of the red.

Please send any proof you have to sue53now@gmx.com

Also you can go to

Try to help get this class action lawsuit going by joining and helping to get attention from more interested attorneys.

• Lo
      28th of Aug, 2009

i agree 100% how do i get in on the class action lawsuit glovegta@ymail.com

• Lo
      28th of Aug, 2009

fifth third bank thay are taking money from are checking for no reason.

• Za
      22nd of Sep, 2009

So lets say only one charge out of 5 from one day of debit charges causes an overdraft issue. Does Fifth Third have the right to charge overdraft fees for all 5 charges? That happened to me and I believe this is predatory. If anyone could give me more information as to a class action lawsuit being done, my email address is thunderheart7877@gmail.com. Thanks for any help :).

• D7
      7th of Oct, 2009

*******ATTENTION********

Dear Sue and Interested Parties:

Through the course of 5 days, only 3 business days, my account currently has $258 of overdraft fees. Detail include -

3 transactions Friday October 2nd - $99 overdraft (fees).

One Transaction Monday October 3rd - $74 overdraft (fee).

No transactions October 5th - $37 overdraft (fee)...$48 daily overdraft (fee)

I am printing my statement out today...if I should fax it to any attorneys please let me know.

I check my account daily to ensure this does not happen, either online or through the automated phone system. I wish I could have printed my account statement last Monday. I showed an AVAILABLE BALANCE of $390. I would not have posted transactions to my account that would have sent me into negative territory. I can use a calculator like anyone else.

• Ia
      10th of Dec, 2009

I just got an account with 5/3 and the same thing is happening to me! On the 7th I had a $680 balance. The bank showed that it paid a $570 check and $270 in debt card charges. It racked up $330 in overdraft fees BUT the next day, the bank returned the $570 check, and charged me another $33 overdraft. How can they say they paid the check on the 7th, that the check caused me to be overdrawn, charge me $330 in fees and then the next day decide to not pay it! Obviously they did this to collect all those $33 fees on $2 and $3 debt card transactions. Also, if they would have merely returned that $570 check, ALL of those debt card transaction would have cleared. Now today, I look at my account again and there is another $165 in overdraft fees with no detail of what they are for... In short, in 3 day I had a balance of $680, used $469 in debt transaction but incurred $495 in overdraft fees! I spoke to their customer services and told them that you can't said you paid a check on 12/7 that resulted in me being overdrawn to only change your mind on 12/8 AFTER you assessed 15 overdraft fees...This is fraud! I agree, they need to be sued!

• Nc
      2nd of Jan, 2010

CHARLOTTE NC 5/3 RIP OFF!!! Want TO FILE LAW SUIT! OVER 800$$ IN OVERDRAFT FEES... ONCE I SAT DOWN AND DID A LITTLE MATH THEY GOT ME GOOD! I M VERY GOOD AT KNOWING WHAT IS IN MY ACCOUNT! I OVERDRAFTED 104.00 GET CHARGED 800$$ BETWEEN NOV/ 4/ 09 - NOV12/09. WOW! BEFORE THE 12TH I REALIZED FOR SOME REASON MY DEPOSIT OF 200$$ DID NOT COVER OVERDRAFT OF 104$$??? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME . S0 NOW I DECIDED TO FIGHT BACK SINCE THIS IS BY NO MEANS THE FIRST TIME, JUST THE FIRST TIME I SAT DOWN AND TOOK THE TIME TO FIGURE OUT WHY THIS FELT SO WRONG, NO TELLING HOW MUCH THEY ROBBED ME IN THE PAST. NOT THIS TIME RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS/THANKSGIVING CANT MAKE RESERVATIONS OR RENT A CAR WITH NO BANK ACCOUNT!!! THANKS FIFTH/THIRD. ANY LAWYERS WANT TO CONTACT ME FEEL FREE bbossin4u@yahoo.com

Thanks Everyone,
    Ms. nc RIP OFF!

• Fe
      21st of Jan, 2010

I am currently into it with 5/3rd. The ran a redbox rental of $5.39 thru 4 times that cause me to go 10 over and then they charged me $132.00 for ONE overdraft fee. PLEASE TELL ME THIS CANNOT BE LEGA. I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO. I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER CHECKING ACCOUNT THAT HAS HAD 3 checks fun thru a total of 13 times and i have over $340.00 in overdraft fees on that one. This is all within the last wk. Iam in shock. What do I do. They are not helping me at all?????

• Ne
      2nd of Mar, 2010

I totally agree with all of the above statements! This happened to me too. I had several transactions that were "pending" for several days, the oldest of which was 5 days, and they were all cash and debit card transactions, leaving a balance of 1.47 in the account. All of the pends were covered. Then, a check went through for 50.00 AHEAD of all of the pends, and bounced all of them. 8 bounces for 37.00 each, for a total of 296.00! I called them and they refused to do anything about this, even though the pends should have gone in first, being that they were all cash transactions. Why they pended for up to 5 days, I don't know, and their response was "we aren't responsible for when the charges get put in". Now, they are charging me 8.00 a day, and the total is up to 444.53! I closed the account, but they won't stop adding these daily charges, nor will they actually close it. They tell me that they will add charges for 20 days, and then turn it over to collections. Fantastic.

• Me
      14th of May, 2010

I also had a similar experience with 53 bank. Over draft fees that snowball from what you think you should have and what you actually have after they have applied the overdraft fees from your account. I ended up with a total of $317.00 in fees. I was actually able to get the first set of fees reversed but they refused to reverse the other $185.00 resulting as a snowball effect from the first set. I had $6, 000.00 in a savings account at the time but when my wife went in to set it up, they opened up a separate checking account with it and left the account I used unprotected, therefore excluding me from overdraft protection. When I went in person to the branch I was told that only the regional manager was able to reverse the fees.

Feeling powerless, I researched the situation to see if I had any recourse. I will share with you what I learned. You can file a complaint with the FTC, and the Federal Reserve Board online. the FTC addresses numerous groups of complaints more than just single ones, so the more of us that make complaints with them the better. The federal reserve board is the regulatory branch that enforces banking and will address individual complaints. None of this will be instantaneous but I am hopeful that I should receive my stolen funds at some point. I will return and update you all as I get a final answer from them. Those avenues are free and relatively quick and easy to do online. Also you can file a small claims suit against them, but there is a filing fee involved, and you will need to do some leg work. Living in a big town as I do (chicago) that's a pain in the rear and I'm willing to let the complaints run their course before I use that option. The parking alone will run me $20.00.

Best of luck to you all that have taken the time to comment here. The one thing I know for sure is that a complaint without teeth is just that. A complaint. Grow some teeth and make them responsible for their misdeeds.

• Me
      14th of May, 2010

Oh and BTW I withdrew my funds from 53 Bank and closed my accounts. No way will I let them at me again.

• Rh
      17th of May, 2010

I too am closing all of my accounts with Fifth Third but I still want to sue them. Is there a class action suit against them that I can join?

Darlene

Rhema96@bellsouth.net

• Rh
      17th of May, 2010

I will take heed and contact the Federal Reserve Board and FTC. I am a fighter and I am not going to let them get away with my money anymore. I doubt if I'd win in Small Claims but I might try.

10th of Jul, 2010

A class action lawsuit has finally been brought forth against 5th Third bank!!! here are a couple of links!

• Mm
      17th of Jul, 2010

You all are just whiners and incompetent of managing your accounts! its simple math! If you dont have the money, dont use it! If a merchant doulbe charges your account that is the merchants fault and if you deposit a check for a substancial amount of money, do you really think that bank is that stupid to make ALL of those funds available without processing the check first!?!?!?!?!

• Fm
      22nd of Jul, 2010

July 12 - 2010
    YET ANOTHER problem with "Fifth Third Bank".

This bank is stealing my money via manipulating my checking accounts deposits and debits, forcing overdraft fees.

Made a deposit on Sat. the 10th. ATM withdrawal $'X'.00 on the next day, Sunday 11th. On Monday 12th the bank possessed the ATM first then the deposit. The dates do not lie, the deposit was first, the ATM second.

"IF" there was not enough money in the account the ATM withdrawal should not have been allowed to go through. I had this happen once before 2 months previously, then I was just $0.12 short of my ATM withdrawal request and it was denied.

This bank was sued for this very practice earlier this year yet it continues to do the same thing.
    All I can say is, when opening a new bank account, get it in writing they will never do these practices otherwise they are libel for customers fees back to the bank. After all. “IF” they can do it, so can we.

Disgusting!

• Be
      25th of Nov, 2010

They hold onto mailed payments until the payment becomes late, so that they can charge a late fee. There is nothing you can do about it, no way to prove it was mailed on time. Or is there? Isn't there a law out there that says a company has to be able to provide the postage mark to prove something was mailed late? I actually believe such a law exists. In any case, this bank is not being held accountable for it's unethical business practices.