Fifth Third Bank / bad service

1 38 Fountain SquareCincinnati, OH, United States Review updated:

I advise anyone considering using Fifth Third Merchant Services for Procesing their credit card charges to reconsider. I handle all the banking/accounting for my non-profit employers. Since 2001 I have used 5/3 for credit card processing, and though I was lured in by promises of no reprogramming fees, no annual fees, no service fee, no statement fees, the reality is since then I have seen all of those and more.

Apparently, in their contract buried somewhere in fine print is a clause which says they have the right to change their fees at anytime, but apparently you don't have the right to cancel it should the fees increase, without yet again accruing another fee! Case in point, last year an annual fee of $45 was taken from my bank account (without my authorization). I was told we received notice in last month's statement that annual fees would start being charged. After speaking to and getting authorization to have the fee waived, two days later they call back and say it's not possible to waive it. Not two months later a $5 per month fee starts being withdrawn as well. When I inquire about it, it's a "monthly dial up fee" so that my terminal can call into the center. (I didn't get any statement message about that one). Within two months we were charged another $40 to "reprogram" the machine--still incurring those monthly dial up fees. I get another letter two months later wanting to "upgrade" the program but will have to pay $50 to do so. Since I had just paid the $40 to do that earlier, I want an explanation of what exactly is being upgraded. No one could tell me. After attempting on five separate occassions to get fees removed (at least partially) I gave up and unplugged the machine, called & wrote to them to cancel and didn't run any charges for a month. (By they way, we own this machine not rent). Yesterday January 2009, I get the bank statements and $55 has been removed for an annual fee by Fifth Third. I cancelled their services in writing in November 2008! Called today, and their response is it is legit because they bill in arrears. Since I used their services at all in 2008 I would have paid it regardless of when I canceled. Then she adds, well at least we didn't charge you the normal cancellation fee. Since I never agreed to any of the fees to begin with, we already spent $200 in un-budgeted "credit card processing fees" (without merchant fees) of hard to come by funds.

If they wanted to keep our business they would have reversed the charges for at least one of the three non-budgeted items as a courtesy. One would think in today's economy keeping customers is important. I was promised in 2007 I would see a new contract which outlined these fees but never received it. Should you be in the market for merchant services, be sure that promises not only be in writing as mine were (in a cover correspondence) but also attached or written on the actual contract, and that it states specific dates that they will be waived. Though I was diligent in following through, in the end their help line is geared to educate you about their fees and services, not really to service the customer. Good luck if you are in the market for credit card processing, and please take the time necessary to calculate all the little fees that will be in play. If you already have low price (as we do), if a charge card is used you might consider passing on fees to your consumers so they will pay by cash or check in the future. Most people don't realize that is costs the merchant money for them to use credit cards. Yes, it's convenient for the buyers, but if it only drives costs up perhaps people will start rethinking how they pay for their purchases.

Ri

Comments

• Bi
      22nd of Sep, 2009

Subject: Fifth Third Bank system "SUCK" + Customer Service also "S U C K"

We closed escrow account in Juy 2009. So our morgage payment would be pay only for the loan due to escrow is "0".

We paid monthly payment online in August for September. But the account would accept the amount of payment as the bank said the amount paid had not sufficient...(which the bank add $77 on top of payment for escrow account).

We call customer service told them that our escrow has been close and ask them to remove $77 out of my morgage monthly payment. We talked to serval people and keep telling them that our escro has been closed. It's seem like no one has no clue. Even superviser who said he will take care of it. In mid-September, we got the phone call from "Collector Department" of Fifth Third Bank which said we did not pay the morgage in September because of that we has been charge for the late fee too. And they withdraw the payment dirctly from our bank account.

After we check the morgage payment statement, it shows that our 2 months of payment have not been apply to the payment because of not sufficient amount.

We then call customer service and ask them to remove the $77 out of the monthly payment and apply 2 payment for September and October.

While we wait for the bank correct the account, every day we get the phone call from "Collector Dept." of Fifth Third Bank twice a day. Also, we got the letter from Fifth Third Bank about the "LATE FEE" has been charge to my account.

This problem has occor about 2 months. We send a lot of e-mail and a lot of calls to customer service, later they never bother to call back. Moreover, one of the lady just hung up the phone.

I write the comment about this bad experience just warn the people who think about to do business with Fifth Third Bank ...Please think twice OR you got to fight back hard.

Tina, Indiana