Fidelity Reader Service, Inc. / Never received magazine subscription!

I never buy anything from people approaching me in the street however this young sales person was extremely personable and sleek. He managed to get me to buy a subscription to a skateboarding magazine (at the unbelievable price of $62.00) and I didn't even get a single issue! The three people I've mentioned this to have been duped by the same company!

Comments

• Kr
      15th of Nov, 2007

Fidelity Reader Service did the same thing to me. I only received one issue in the last year. I have been calling their customer service line and I can not get anyone on the phone. I mailed a letter and left many messages. DO NOT GET ANY MAGAZINES FROM THIS COMPANY. You will not get what you pay for!!

• Ha
      21st of Nov, 2007

Yes, I had a funny feeling about the guy who came to my door. He was very pushy and scoped out items in my home. I had a weird feeling about this guy so I immediately called my credit card company and canceled my credit card. He got my credit card number & the security code on the back of it. But since I immediately called in to cancel my credit card the transaction will not go through... so they are the ones screwed.

I just hope this guy doesn't come back & rob my home.

• Ti
      15th of Dec, 2007

I also had a bad experience with this company. A young girl who seemed like she knew what she was talking about and very friendly,came to my home and got me for $60.00 for a magazine subscription. I really did not want the magazines, I wanted to help get kids off the street, which was what she told me the cause was. She came in to use my bathroom and also scoped out my house. I wrote a check and also looked up the site on-line while she waited and even though some sites said it was a scam,she assured me,"there are always bad people out there who take advantage." She then told me to go to another site and it told me all the good things about the co. At this point, I should have known. but I told her, "I am doing this because I have faith in God, not because I have faith in you" I believe now, God was trying to warn me and I didn't listen. I learned my lesson! The check was cashed in October, It is now December and no magazine! Warning to those people who have a heart to help people like me. Sometimes it doesn't pay!

• Gi
      8th of Jan, 2008

I ordered magaines back in November right before Thanksgiving. The guy that came to my door would not take NO for an answer. I finally decided to order a magazine but knew immediatly I did not want or need another magazine. I spent 60.00 and yet to receive my magazine or a refund. I tried to disput the charge with my bank but since I wrote a check they said they could not help me. Everytime I try to call I can not speak to a person and everytime I try to send an email to them it comes back undeliverable. I tried to check status onlie and it says there is an error on the website. I am so upset that I am just out 60.00. I am not sure if there is anything I can do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Ga
      10th of Jan, 2008

I order magazines back in August of 07. A young lady came to my door and said she

was selling magazines for Fidelity Reader Service. She said she would receive points

for each subscription that she would sell. I really didn't want the magazines, but she

said the company would pay her money for the points. The money would help pay

her way through college. I decided to order the magazines to help her. The check was

cash in october and I have not received a magazines.

• Re
      25th of Mar, 2008

I GOT GUILT TRIPPED INTO BUYING A SUBSCIPTION TO A MAGAZINE THAT I DIDN'T WANT OR NEED A WHILE BACK. RIGHT WHEN I GO BACK TO A COMPUTER I SEARCHED FIDELITY READERS SERVICE AND SAW ALL THESE ARTICLES ABOUT HOW IT WAS A SCAM SO I CANCELLED MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THE CHECK.
    JUST RECENTLY I RECEIVED A NOTICE IN THE MAIL FROM FIDELITY SAYING THAT 25.00 WAS CHARGED TO MY CHECKING ACCOUNT BECAUSE THE CHECK THEY TRIED TO CASH BOUNCED. IN THE NOTICE IT SAID I HAD TO PAY A MINIMUM OF 100.00 AND MAXIMUM OF 1500.00 TO RESOLVE MY DEBT.
    HAS ANYBODY ELSE GOTTEN THIS NOTICE AND IF SO DID YOU JUST IGNORE IT?

• Tr
      3rd of Apr, 2008

My husband and I just arrived home from work and were greeted by two young girls, probably in their late teens, early twenties with "the pitch" to buy their magazines and help send them to Europe. After hearing their pitch my husband came back into the house wanting to buy a magazine. As my husband was expressing his interest in a certain magazine the girls threw in an extra pitch, we could also send magazines to the troops in Iraq, or sick children in the hospital and they would receive double points. I explained that the first time we fell for one of these scams I received 3 magazines out of 36 and I absolutely did not want to participate, let alone give out personal information about us.

My husband asked for the web address and all information to research the company before deciding, and the girls agreed. Obviously they had no idea the information that was listed on several web sites, including this one. After explaining to the girls that he found this information, and our previous experience, we would not be purchasing from them. The girls then tried to explain their way out of each of the reports we had seen online.

Needless to say, they left without our money and their "points" for Europe.

21st of Apr, 2008

I have been trying to get my $62 back for Thrasher Magazine since Fidelity never delivered it to my grandson. I have called, written and faxed to no avail. This young gal said she was representing our high school. I will call them and let them know of this scam. It makes me angry to be ripped off for $62. I have gone to their website, as I am sure all of you have also, let's see if this fax works. I have no faith that it will. What.

• Ca
      2nd of May, 2008
    Fidelity Reader Services - Will not issue refund
    Oakland
    California

I paid $60 for a subscription to Mother Jones in February of 2008. The check was cashed but the magazine has not arrived.
    I believe I was scammed.

• Le
      3rd of May, 2008

I just can't believe I was stupid enough to fall for the whole "second chance program" bullcrap.

I've mailed my cancellation but I have a feeling that it won't stop them from charging me, so I called to cancel my card and request a dispute form.

I should have went with my gut instinct. I had an uneasy feeling about it but I felt bad for him. This is when I hate myself for being so gullible.

DON'T FALL FOR IT GUYS! =/

• Er
      1st of Jun, 2008

I also fell for this. He said if I gave him some cash, then he would get more points...Let's just say it wasn't one of my smartest moments. So, I gave him $15 cash and charged the rest to my credit card...but they charged the whole amount to my credit card & in their system it says that I ordered some magazine for coaching...what?? I ordered the Disney magazine for my daughter...it says so on both of my receipts. I just can't believe that I fell for this...I am usually so careful, but this guy was really smooth.

• Va
      11th of Jun, 2008

i've been waiting for my refund check for months... i was trying to help out aj being the nice person i am. He told me that he needed these points so he could get 5, 000 to go on some trip. I wrote him out a check for $61.00 dollars and he said even if i cancel the check he can at least get some points. He told me that i can cancel this subscription within 3 days and said all i needed was to send back a copy of the receipt and i didn't need a stamp to mail it because was federal. I dropped in my mailbox and luckily the mailman didn't take it federal " receipt" my ### it was not federal. He was trying to scam me so i wouldnt be able to get my refund check back. I sent a copy of my check front and back through email, fax, and letter. The told me they never received it. I called a person that same day and he told me he recieved the the refund to the fax and it will be sent it on friday. I called them back and some lady said i needed a confirmation number and he never gave me one.

• Ca
      12th of Jun, 2008

This is the hokiest piece of crap company around. They wrote the receipt number on my check, when I look it up online it give's my neighbor's information. I called the company and they said that they won't due anything until it has been over 120 days and that I shouldn't worry about a thing. Well after reading this I see how this will be an ongoing thing and I will be out $75 and alot of time. SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY AND JUST DON"T ORDER FROM THEM!!!

• Be
      15th of Jun, 2008

I use to sell the magazines, but after working a month and not getting the pay I was promised and all the other things I had gone through, I quit. Don't think these kids are scamming you. Because it's really the people over them scamming you. We pretty much get brain washed.

• To
      24th of Jun, 2008

Well, I feel better knowing that I'm not alone. I knew I shouldn't answer the door that day. I was home early and wasn't expecting anyone. I fell for the story, like most of you. The magazine was irrelevant to me...I just wanted to help the kid at the door. I suspected something was up when he went over my order and tried to get me to spend over $300. I said I wanted one magazine and still tried getting me to spend $200. Finally after going through this for 10 minutes I agreed to get something around $100 and when I looked at the receipt it wasn't even the magazine I requested.

As far as I'm concerned it' s just money lost.

Don't get scammed like the rest of us.

• Du
      9th of Jul, 2008

Well, after reading all these comments I feel SICK!! I wish I hadn't opened the door today. The sickest part is that my husband and I fell for this a year or two ago and never got the magazines. I told the smooth talking guy that today but he said that couldn't be his company because they give out tracking numbers and I could watch the progress online. He said the spiel about earning $5000 and asked to come in my home. It was raining and I needed to turn the stove off and he came in after me and said it was because he was wet. He kept looking around my living room and commenting on paintings, etc. It gave me a weird feeling and I walked us both back outside. I was glad my dog was barking so much because if there is some robbery plan in the future maybe he'll think twice. Anyway, I know I'll never get my 2 years of Metropolitan Home that I don't want or need anyway! He kept trying to get me to send magazines to Iraq and asked if I would help him out by buying 3, 6 or 9 magazines -each around $50 a pop! Sounds like the stories are all similar, so if you read this before they come to your door, wise-up and don't order anything and better yet, don't answer the door!!

• Du
      10th of Jul, 2008

Update to my comment above -I canceled the check and am going to send my cancellation notice returned receipt with a copy of the rip-off regarding Fidelity Reader Service. My husband says he'll welcome any collection agency calling our home that it sounded like fun for him! Ha! Apparently, he felt bad for a salesman in the fall and ordered a magazine that we have never received. Sounds like we have "Suckers" written by our address as this makes the 3rd time we've fallen for them in 2 years! Crazy. Glad to have the Internet to wise us up!

22nd of Jul, 2008

My wife just called the company to complain about not receiving US News & World Report, she was told that her 120 waiting period just recently expired and that by coincidence they mailed her a 'confirmation request' just a couple days ago, so 'we should be getting that real soon!' Then we need to fill out and return that BS form and wait another 30 days before they decide to either mail us the magazine or a refund check, whichever they choose. What a load of crap.

Can you imagine setting up a business like this, then going to work every day knowing you are going to get nothing but hate calls and threats? Unbelievable way to live your life.

• Am
      11th of Aug, 2008

We were helping a friend move this past Saturday and on the way into the apartment building were approached by a young man who was smiling and waving at us like he was our best friend. He overly friendly introducing himself and shaking our hands. When he found out we were all teachers he went on about how he loves school and had a 4.1 GPA in high school. Please! Then why are you selling magazines door-to-door for a living??? Anyway, he was quickly spilling so much information that it was very difficult for us to follow. He said he was in some competition to get points if we voted for him. We felt bad for him and said we would vote. We were thinking we would vote online or something, but that's when he handed us these dirty, crinkled, laminated papers and showed us and some sort of phony looking ID. We learned we vote by buying subscriptions. How wierd! But, being the compassionate, giving, and completely gullable people we are, we agreed to buy. We didn't want anything for ourselves and that's when he told us we could send them to the soldiers in Iraq. He said it would be $120!! We said that is too much, so then he said we could do it for $60. Geez. We gave him cash. We felt uneasy the whole time, but have a hard time saying no, especially when you are told that you are going to be helping people. I still feel sick about this because it is people/companies like this that make people not want to give. It is a shame that the people who really do need help get screwed because of scams like this. I will be spreading the news about this terrible company. This needs to be broadcasted and put on the front of every newspaper. Something major needs to be done because people most likely aren't going to see a site like this until AFTER they are scammed. I never would have until I was scammed and then Googled this to see what the deal was. This whole situation is very unfortunate and frankly sickening.

17th of Aug, 2008

I can only say that I am very diturbed and disappointed with this company and it's sales and staff personnel. I ordered a subscription to Playroom magazine on April 01, 08 for my Granddaughter thinking it would help her and the vibrant, persuasive person who supposedly would recieve points with your company to aid her in her college pursuit.

The magazines have never been recieved and we have no satisfaction when calling the company Customer Service Number. I have made three calls and spoke once with a young lady, and twice to a Matt who claims to be the supervisor with nothing resolved. I would like to cancel this subscription
    since my Grandaughter has outgrown it by now, but am sure my money is lost. Believe me, I have learned from this expreience to NEVER trust anyone coming door to door, this company in particular