FerrellGas / slow to respond to an emergency

Colulmbia, MO, United States Review updated:

I reported a propane gas leak at my home at 7:08 in the morning on Tuesday, October 16. It took them over 2 hours to show up.

Here's a short version of what happened.

I was leaving the house at 7 am and was overwhelmed with the smell of propane when I walked out my front door. I immediately came back inside to get the phone and tell my husband to get dressed as I was certain we would have to evacuate. I called Ferrellgas and was told to close the doors and windows and stay inside, that a driver would be there. I asked how long, she said it would be this morning, before noon. I was quite taken aback by that timeline, but did as I was told and brought my dogs up to the back deck as well. While waiting for them to arrive, I kept going out to check on my dogs and the smell was getting less and less. An hour after my report to them, I called back to ask how much longer. She assured me someone would be out soon. I then got a call at about 8:20 a.m. from a regional manager stating that he'd gotten an email at 7:50 a.m. about the leak and was dispatching someone. At no point in time did anyone ask me to shut off the gas. It was nearly 9:00 in the morning when a driver showed up. He found there was indeed a leak, replaced the leaking regulator, then showed my husband and I how to shut off the gas. He was surprised they didn't tell me to shut off the gas. I was told that it was unfortunate that I called between 7 and 8 as that's kind of a void for emergency response as the crews are arriving at the office but they are not ready to be dispatched. I had called their emergency number and there was no emergency response or even a heightened sense of alert. If I had not called back, I'm not sure they would have responded at all. The smell was strong at 7 am because of the regulator malfunction, spouting pressured gas into the atmosphere; it would dissipate and the smell would lessen, but it was still a dangerous situation. I've had service with them for 17 years and have never called the emergency line. I wasn't just a nuisance caller.

I don't ever want this to happen to another family. I have tried to talk with them about it, and they just apologize that I felt stress, and don't address the problem. The problem is there is no emergency response between 7 and 8 a.m. in the morning. This could very well happen to another family, but apparently there is nothing regulating how they handle a report for smell of gas. Their representative is apparently required to tell me how to shut off the gas but never said a word about it.

Tr

Comments

• Sc
      Oct 24, 2012

TracyDV,

As a proud employee of Ferrellgas, I am disappointed to hear about the frustrations you have with my company. We take great pride in offering the very best service in the propane industry, and it saddens me to hear we’ve let a long-time Customer down. After investigating this matter, we have identified a process breakdown in how situations such as this are communicated to service employees outside of normal business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). You mention in your note that Ferrellgas hasn’t addressed the problem. Please know that we have taken immediate action to correct our internal process.

Please accept my sincerest apologies. If you have any questions, or if there’s ever anything I can do for you, please feel free to contact me directly at [protected]@ferrellgas.com or 913-661-1830.

Sincerely,
    Scott Brockelmeyer
    Vice President, Corporate Communications
    Ferrellgas

• Te
      Oct 28, 2014

I called Ferrellgas and reported a propane gas leak at my home on Sunday, October 12, 2014. I was not given any instructions on how to be safe from the leak, such as: turning off the tank, closing doors and windows, and staying inside. After many hours a technician stopped by to take a look at the tank. He was not equipped with proper tools, as he was driving his private car. He did conduct a spray test on the tank and indeed found the leak. He did not fix the leak, but said someone else would be coming to repair the leak. I asked, when but he could give no timeline. This technician did not turn off the gas, and the tank continued to leak. No one returned to my home until October 14. This technician could not repair the leak, but he did stop the tank from leaking by placing something over the part that was leaking; and he did turn off the gas, showing my husband and I exactly what he was doing. He wanted to remove the tank, but said it was too heavy, as it contained much gas and would be dangerous. He seemed surprised that the prior technician had not even turned off the gas. I've had service with Ferrellgas for two years and have never called the emergency line. I considered a leaking propane tank to be a dangerous situation. There should be some regulation about showing consumers how to shut off the gas. The technician said I had lost 20% of the gas, because of the leak and Ferrellgas would replace that 20%. When I spoke with office representatives about removing the tank and replacing it with another after my husband and I used the remaining gas in the tank, I was told Ferrellgas would only give me a credit of 10% and out of that 10% Ferrellgas would deduct a $6.99 service fee. I think this is ridiculous and self serving of Ferrellgas. I should not be charged this $6.00 fee. One office employee, Yolonda, said the fee is always charged when a technician goes out on a call. I considered a leaking tank to be more of an emergency than a normal call. The tank is owned by Ferrell gas and it was leaking. I am writing to you now, because I think the $6.99 charge should be withdrawn from my account. I was told we had lost 20% of the gas would be credited for that 20%. Yolonda said she would only credit 10%, and charge the $6.99 fee. I am asking that you look into this matter, as this is your tank, your employees, and I am your customer. Teri W.