Fedex International / i'll never use it again

I am a very angry customer.

One year and a 1/2 ago, I had given my sister a laptop computers as a gift. Since day one, she was having problems with the computer. I had brought the computer as carry on luggage to Peru and during of one her business trips to the US she brought it back not expecting to ship it to me from TX to NJ. She was just sick and tired of dealing with the problems the computer was having. I kept the computer to try to fix it on my own. In the meantime she left to Peru, and I had the great idea of shipping it to Peru. I go the post office and asked the clerk for the fastest, safest way to ship the computer and she suggested using Global Express Guaranteed, a service through FedEx.

I filled some forms she gave me. In the meantime, she asks whether the computer is used, whether it is a gift, and she is typing in her computer. She takes the documents I filled up, looks at them and finish processing the shipment. She didn't inform me much of anything other than the shipment should be there in 3 days.

The shipment arrives to Peru and I found out it has to pay duties and taxes of $300, something I was not prepared to hear, especially because the shipment alone to Peru cost $310. Remember, this computer is old and has problems.

I called FedEx to explain them that I had filled the forms they had given me and didn't receive much information how to fill them up. Additionally, the lady who took my order, knew the story of the computer and saw the documents I had filled up and didn't tell me to correct anything.

Apparently, I had filled up an invoice, and I had to be very descriptive on the article I was sending which I wasn't. The description I used was 'laptop computer' and I had to described it as 'used, and defective laptop computer.' Plus, when I entered the value of the computer I entered the value for which I was ensuring it for not the value of the computer the day I shipped it. I had insured it for $800, which is what I had paid originally, a year and 1/2 ago for the computer. Well, the clerk processed the computer as if it was a pencil and not an electronic item even though I told her, I had never done an international shipment and needed her guidance.

Naturally, I told them I needed to understand what happened and why. They said to me that I had done an importation, that all items above 100 dollars are subject to duty and taxes even when those that are gifts, or are used.

I got tired of mentioning to them that I wasn't advised properly of all these things I should have known at the time of shipment. If I had known I had to pay 300 dollars only in duties, I had not shipped anything. I felt I had been horrible misled and misinformed! What was worse was that one week before I made the shipment, I was given the same information on the phone (no information, I mean) on how to ship a laptop internationally and I even said, I just want to make sure I don't have any problems with the package. Most importantly, in no instance I am told that the shipment was going to be subject to duties and taxes.

After 1 week of calling two times a day to FedEx in Peru and in the US, and hear how they clean themselves from any responsibility (I heard from different reps things like 'I should have gone to the FedEx office in person to deliver the package; that invoice I filled up would have been rejected, so it was my fault that I didn't go to the FedEx office, instead I chose to go to the post office. Another one I heard was that I should have known that all items that leave this country are imports so they are free of any fault).

It was disheartening to see the level of indifference from FedEx. I even talked to the Executive Secretary of the President at FedEx and tried to explain that I have been put in this bad situation because of the lack of information from FedEx. And that it appeared that the clerks think that I am doing this activity every day which is not the case. It was a total waste of time. She never apologized for the company for the lack of care and training on the clerks they put to represent FedEx.

Only in my last phone call when I paid the duties (I didn't have a choice since otherwise the computer would have been abandoned by customs), the rep that helped me was very apologetic about loosing me as a customer.

I bow to never never use FedEx.

Va

Comments

• Su
      30th of May, 2013

FedEx in Peru is a complete joke and e extremely expensive to use.
    My vet shipped a small vile of blood from Lima Peru to the Kansas State University rabies laboratory using FedEx. I spent a lot of time and money to get the white cells of blood in that little vile. It was packed in a small box containing ice to keep it cold. It was picked up a Friday afternoon, the cost for the FedEx shipping was $146.42, they told my vet it would get there in three working days. It Thursday today and I called the University it has not gotten there yet, so I looked at the tracking once again and it is still sitting in Lima, only 25 minutes from my house. I called FedEx International in the USA and they told there was nothing they could do, the local FedEx had to deal with it. I called the local FedEx they were just as lost. I gave them all the information once again and told them I had expected a professional service which I never got. I got no explanation from them and was asked to give them my phone # so someone could contact me during the day. It has been almost an hour an I have not heard back from them.
    My vet was told three working days guaranteed, the three days have past and still resting in Lima with the ice melted. The test is need for our dog to be able to go to Germany with us. It is required by the German government. In all I spent well over $250 and a whole days work to do this and FedEx messed it completely. I will probably have to do it all over again. Thanks FedEx. The university of Kansas had recommended using FedEx, so I did and got crap from them.
    The funny thing, it is almost a joke, I have used them in past with documents sent from Lima to Florida and got basically the treatment. Way way expensive (around $150) and it Would get there five or seven days later. I wonder how can a professional company survive internationally with such horrible service. Hope I never have to use FedEx again, specially in Peru. Hope this is helpful to somebody or they will find out for themselves.

18th of Dec, 2014

I agree with the reviews . FedEx Peru is horrible . I sent a envelope with Christmas cards . I paid $85 here in U.S. and FedEx Peru is asking $ 29 more . It is unfair . I hope this problem can be solved before Christmas .

• Ad
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Fedex International - Unfair Business Practise
    FedEx
    California

I shipped a package with FedEx on 09/21/10 from USA to Canada. It was a gift for my parents who were going to stay at a Canadian hotel for the weekend and come back to USA on Monday 09/27/10. I paid FedEx $68.99 for the package to be delivered on 09/23/10. However, they could not deliver it until 09/24/10, Friday. I received calls from them several times saying that I need to set up account with them to pay the $110.36. I spent several hours with many FedEx representatives to set up an account and sort everything out and stressed several times that the package be delivered that day. I check on Saturday, 09/25/10, and the package is not delivered. I call them and get informed FedEx Canada does not operate on Saturdays and said they will delivery on Monday 09/27/10. I told them that they are not going to be in their hotel because they and returning back and I requested the package back. I get charged another $68.99 for the package to be returned. I received the package on 10/01/10, after one week, even though I paid on 09/27/10. So in the end I paid total of $248.84 for a gift that my parents received 2 weeks late.
    I called back FedEx about submitting a claim. They were diligent enough to call me to get paid for the duties and fees and not gets a call back saying they can not deliver the package on the last day it could be delivered. They refused to refund any portion of the total amount. On top of that the return package was packed poorly, which resulted in receiving back a broken bracelet that was the gift. Even though I packaged the bracelet in a hard jewelry box.

• To
      15th of Aug, 2017

DO NOT SHIP FED EX THROUGH AN "AUTHORIZED FED EX RECEIVER!!!
    Had 3 pieces of luggage shipped FedEx through an authorized FedEx shipper. All 3 bags were picked up at our hotel and then dropped off at a MailBoxes, etc. location (1 of 3) in Firenze, Italy. The date was July 28th, 2017 when Fedex received our bags. Yesterday, August 14th 2017 I received the last bag. I tracked our bags throughout their journey abroad - they traveled more than we did!!
    I made SEVERAL calls to FedEx International which over the course of a week involved 3 "personal" trackers and 1 supervisor. Wait a minute - did I tell you that FedEx has a "money back guarantee" if your bags do not arrive within 5 days from Italy??? I was told on all my conversations with FedEx that I could not request a "refund" until ALL of the 3 bags were delivered to my house.
    I called FedEx today and spoke with a representative from their Customer Advocate Department. I was informed that "because I used a FedEx "authorized" receiver - FedEx did not get the money directly - and they were unable (unwilling) to refund any money. $512.00 WAS CHARGED to my credit card but because FedEx did not handle the exchange personally they were not responsible. H-E-L-L-O ??? FedEx picked up the suitcases!! The "advocate" informed me she was unable to assist me and that I needed to call Italy. I decided to call my credit card company and asked them to REVERSE the charges. They agreed I had a valid claim and did so immediately. Gee - wonder how long it will take FedEx to call me now that they won't be getting any money. So glad I kept copies of everything.

• Ne
      23rd of Feb, 2018

I will NEVER NEVER NEVER use FedEx to ship to Colombia... my story it's very similar to the customer that send a used laptop to Peru.
    FedEx DON'T offer INTERNATIONAL services, deliver only within in the USA please it will safe us "customer" money and time because your international service is HORRIBLE!!!