Fedex / don't expect too much from fedex to go the extra mile!

I had a package I shipped by FedEx to the Philippines and the Philippine Customs had taken a keen interest on it. The package contains prescription medication for my father. For some unknown reason, the Philippine Customs has decided to hold it hostage. I had asked FedEx representatives both here in the US and in the Philippines to determine the reason for the delay and to provide advice. None of the FedEx people I have spoken with can give any detail except this: It's in Philippine Customs, so basically you're screwed, because Philippine Customs can do what they damn well please.

I find it absurd that a major international shipping company like FedEx do not have people representing them in other countries' customs in order to resolve issues that might arise concerning shipments of their customers. So for FedEx to tell me I'm basically on my own, it's quite disheartening and upsetting.

It's been 2 weeks since Philippine Customs shanghaied my package and FedEx hasn't done a damn thing. I asked FedEx to ship the package back to me and they said they cannot guarantee the package can be returned, because, again, Philippine Customs can do what they damn well please. Plus I will still need to pay for taxes and duties in order for the package to be returned to me. And of course, I will need to pay FedEx for shipping both ways, according to FedEx customer service.

Is there justice in this world? I guess not, specially when you're dealing with FedEx and a third-world country's Customs.

I guess before I was under the impression that FedEx will take care of your shipping needs. Now, I know better.

Never will I use FedEx again!

N  24th of Mar, 2009 by
I would suggest in the future you educate yourself in customs regulations. Importing and Exporting has nothing to do with a shipping company
A  19th of May, 2011 by
we don't really have a good and fair regulation in custom also to protect the receiver which they have to pay for the duties and taxes. Mine is, my cousin sent me some "used" cellphones and they still let me pay for these duties and taxes which upsets me too much. Not fair at all...As for Fedex, they know the ins and outs and they can even make some ways out of it...and I should know...
N  25th of Jun, 2011 by
I agree with the first reply. Shipping companies' responsibilities does not include representing recipient of the package. Everything shipped to the Philippines is subject to customs duties, Vat, doc stamp and processing fee. Customs officials however can make an exeption base on their assesment whether a package deserves to be charged or not. Sometimes it just depends on their mood or if they still need to meet their targets. Every little peso helps them reach their target as the government is severely out of funds. I think the customs official failed to realise the urgency of the prescription medicine and he should be reprimanded however as we all know filing charges of negligence is a lot of hassle and the official can always hide behind the bureau and site lack of training in determining importance of certain packages just as motor vehicle drivers will always be at fault if he/she hit a pedestrian even if the pedestrian jumped deliberately in front of the vehicle. Poor government system.
A  8th of Jul, 2011 by
Its one thing that they charge for new items purchased from abroad, its another when you're having your used, personal things charged for tax as well... they should have the common sense to determine which items are purchased on which items are used already.

I am currently being charged P6, 000 for items that I lost during my stay in the United States (Los Angeles in particular). Disneyland found the items and shipped them to my sister COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE. Then my sister sent the items to me here in the Philippines, and suddenly I'm taxed P6, 000. The items include my old Ipad (which I had already owned since last year), My 4-year old son's shoes and clothers, and a used milk bottle. They probably have their eyes on the Ipad, but all they need to do is open it up and check if its used already --- I have no password on it, so that should be easy enough to do.

Whether Fedex or the Philippine Customs is culpable of these oversights is immaterial; that's just passing the buck to whoever cannot respond to a customer complaint. It is an overall completely onerous system that should be able to distinguish between personal items (owned already and otherwise) and items that are used to generate income (for business). You would expect, that in this day and age, both parties would already have come up with ways to mitigate fiascos like this.

In the end, the impression people get from both parties are bad: With Fedex its incompetence and not being able to live up to their promise of on-time delivery. With the Philippine Customs, its another piece of evidence contributing to an already long list of impressions that project an image of the government's, incompetence, and general lack of regard for the common folk. To say that this continues to fuel suspicion (and I am trying to phrase this rather diplomatically) that the Customs department is one of the more corrupt government divisions (ever instituted and managed by the leaders of this country) is a HUGE understatement.
N  31st of Mar, 2014 by
While I would agree that what Philippines Customs does isn't under the control of FedEx, it seems ridiculous to me that they throw their clients to the wolves and have no way of helping when the circumstances clearly indicate that the government in the Philippines is taking advantage. I am sure they have a lot of "abandoned" packages -- that's what happens when the FedEx employee politely calls to let you know that your are going to be charged significantly more than the value of the items in taxes/fees/legal extortion or you can pay them to ship the package back to you. The average person doesn't have anyone to intervene for them in the Philippines, presumably, that would be part of FedEx having a shipping business there! So who exactly gets all those abandoned packages? The same FedEx people who are paid to deliver them in the first place or do they revert to the local government officials who are assessing the taxes/fess/ legal extortion money? Don't ship to the Philippines using FedEx, it is a scam and FedEx needs to stop taking money to deliver there when they know that these sorts of things are happening!
A  27th of May, 2016 by
FedEx here in Philippines are useless. They bought the name and made it into a money extortionist. The gov't here should get involve but the gov't itself is already corrupt. They are just riding along with the system, which is totally ###! On june 30th, I will make damn sure that PRES. DUTERTE will be able to fix this kind of problem. This not only hurt the business owners but also the people that were supposed to get something from someone, who cant afford to afford to buy things, can't even afford to pay for customs. I agree that sometimes, the customs here in Philippines are just plainly dumb and stupid. I hope that we can do something about this. I will display my email here for anyone who wants to petition on having this case be public and be investigated. -tumulakm@gmail.com-

FedEx Corporate Services Logo FedEx Corporate Services