Federal Way Community Center / No one listens!

1 876 S. 333rd StFederal Way, WA, United States Review updated:

This is reference to the Federal Way, WA Community Center and the way they conduct the lap swim activity in the lap pool. I have posted two complaints so far with the staff and from my visits to the pool, obviously my suggestions/complaints go ignored.

Before you plan on buying into the money pit of a community center (yes they are losing money), think about what you are getting into.

The LAP POOL, yes the lap pool most of the time is not used for lap swimming, but other activities. For the small amount of time we do have available to swim, there is no control over rude teenagers that disrupt the peaceful swim of serious lappers.

I guess you get what you pay for, but the personnel in charge are teenagers themselves with no, shall we say no backbone to say anything when the rude teenagers are horse playing and getting into the way of the lap swim.

I continue to go there for one reason only, they do not charge for my son who is 21 months, where most places do, and they are little more inexpensive than other places around.

Just remember if you are a full paying member, you get treated worse than those on assistance, and you may not think you get your money worth. And if you do complain, no one listens.

Something to think about.

Va

Comments

• Ck
      18th of Dec, 2008

I totally agree!!!

Last year I signed up for two classes through the FW Community Center for me and my new baby. One was Kindermusik which was lovely and fun but they kept moving us around every week and it caused confusion trying to find the room they wanted us to be in (because they wanted to rent out "our" room to others for parties). After four months, when the class was over, they never would allow the teacher to promote her class through online registration - only in the instruction book. It was costly for the teacher and instead I "snagged" her and have her in my neighborhood weekly for a steep price reduction because there's no FW CommCtr overhead.

Then I started baby in swimming lessons at 6 months. We took classes in the last summer session for babies. It was wonderful and the teacher was GREAT (he's normally an elementary teacher through the main year). He really had a great temperment and was wonderful with the kids (especially those with water phobia issues). My baby picked it up quick with his encouragement and she loved the routine and her time in the water. It actually helped her to crawl early.

But then we wanted to continue and signed up for fall classes (which are on weekday evenings). First of all...who has baby classes at 5:30 pm??? She was tired and cranky. Then on the first day, with a FULL class, we were harrassed by the pool supervisor to NOT ALLOW our kids to sit on the edge of the water to keep warm. They wouldn't let kids sit on the edge or in the one inch shallow section even though it was cold and chilly in there. They wouldn't even let parents take kids into the hot tub. The woman was RUDE to all the parents and basically didn't care when we presented blue & purple kids. Then when class finally was started and she let us into the pool, we weren't given any instruction and it basically was an expensive OPEN SWIM. I complained, as did many other parents, via their complaint cards to the head of the pool area. Instead of getting a call back or any sort of follow up, the next class the mean woman got in the pool to "oversee" the instructor giving us lessons. And she was so sickly sweet and condisending. I quit that day. There was no reason for me to undergo stress of their poor treatment. And there was no reason to stress my baby with a freezing room even though all the pools were empty. When I let them know, I never got a call back or any sort of apology.

I basically take the FW CommCtr book, find out who the teachers are for classes I like, and then hire them to come into my neighborhood instead of dealing with the idiot, complacent, and rude administration and staff of the FW CommCtr. I have let my various moms groups know of their issues (I oversee one group with 70 families and am a member of 3 others in the area) and I'm hoping that they start seeing that they can't treat CUSTOMERS and RESIDENTS this way!!!