Fantastic Samsperm didn't take, offered to re-do, then damanded payment again

My 92 year old Mom wanted a Permanent in her hair for Christmas.
I took her to Fantastic Sams located at 1524 W. University Blvd. in Jacksonville, FL on Saturday, December 19, 2009. I was surprised that we could walk right in and get a perm immediately, no appointment, no waiting. That should have been a warning to me.

The hairdresser was J. Washington. I asked that he give Mom a “curly” perm and he showed me two rod sizes and asked which one I wanted used. He wanted to use the larger white ones “To avoid frizz” but I chose the smaller grey ones for she wanted an easy care hairdo with lots of curls.

He wet her hair, but did not shampoo it, in preparation for the perm. After the perm was finished he prepared to cut her hair and I told Mr. Washington that I was not a hairdresser so I needed his advise about the cut…please tell me whether or not a blunt-cut, with the hair length to come to the bottom of her ears, would give us the desired curly style. He assured us that it would, however, when finished he had left her hair somewhat longer than we had asked. We did not complain.

By the next morning it was obvious that the Perm did not take at all, Mom’s hair was poker straight, so on Monday morning we went back in the shop. We had attended a family Christmas Party on Sunday, and everyone was shocked to learn she had spent the day before in the beauty shop.

There were two different operators in the shop when we returned and they looked up Mom’s records and said that Mr.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Jacksonville, FLWashington “Must have done something wrong with that perm.” It was finally decided that perhaps he should have shampooed her hair before Perming it.
Both operators said that they would RE-DO Mom’s hair for her. They did, this time using tiny PINK rods, to get the desired CURL. As Mom was finished and getting out of the chair a woman who claimed to be the “MANAGER” (name unknown) came storming into the shop in an agitated state and confronted me saying “THIS PERM IS NOT GOING TO BE FREE, ” and that I was going to pay “FULL PRICE FOR THE SECOND PERM”
She claimed that I had “Asked for the grey rods” and that I had “Asked for the blunt-cut.”
Neither claim is correct. Somehow, according to her, this was supposed to be the reason the Perm did not take in Mom’s hair.
The only reason I allowed them to Re-Perm Mom’s hair is because they had indicated to us that they would make the first perm good because Mr. Washington must have done something wrong for her hair to look like that.
Before I could get out of that shop this “Manager” embarrassed both me and my Mom and been very verbally abusive….she had called me both a liar and a thief.
When I went to the front desk to pay AGAIN for this perm so I could get out of there, this “Manager” came stomping up to me and demanded in a loud voice “YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO WALK OUT WITHOUT PAYING ME, DON’T YOU?”
On Saturday I paid $55.00 for the Perm and on the following Monday I paid $45.00 for the second Perm.