Family Readers Services/Magazines / High Pressure/Changed Terms/Threats

Family Readers Services
105 Cleveland St.
Phone: 877-253-5535
I got a phone call telling me that I had won a diamond watch and a subscription for several free magazines through the use of my debit/credit card, all I had to do was pay for the delivery of the magazines. Normally I wouldn't even listen to something like this, but I thought it was a good deal, especially because I got to choose the magazines that I would prefer to read.
I was told that I would only be paying $14.47 per month. I never recieved the Diamond watch, and after looking at my banking records, I saw that I was being charged $48.47 per month. As soon as seing this, I proceeded to call Family Reader's and request that My account with them be cancelled, and asked them why I was being charged other than the said amount. They told me that I had a verbal contract with them, this having been recorded, and that there was no way that I could cancel, but I could pay them $760.00 to settle my account or they would send me to a collection agency.
There is now way that I can pay for these magazines being that I am disabled and collect SSDI, which is barely enough to pay bills that I already have. This company fast talked me, threatened me with "collections" and was very rude all together.

A  10th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
they did the same thing to me and added the fact that
I never got the magazines I asked for. I am currently looking for a lawyer to sue them because I am sure that a contract has to be completed by both sides or it is cancelled even though they don't think I can cancel.
A  27th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Same here, tonight they called me telling me that the credit cardhad expired, and when I told them that's not true because they arestill getting the payments every month the lady got rude and just said we will call back and hung up. When I tried to call back the recording said they had closed for th day. In my opinion if you are going to have people calling about your account they need to be open. They also hav over charged me and said I can not cancel for any reason or it will go to collections. I wish I had never even answered the phone.
A  1st of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Me 2!! i also am on SSI, I [paid 1 payment antill I found out that it was that much money I almost died!!
N  2nd of May, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I live in springfield, Mo. and was called at work and informed that the magazines from Family Readers Services were free for the trying.
What is free for the cost of 98.52? I called and tried to cancel the subcription but was told that was not allowed, because they have the conversation taped. Then the initial fee was $8.93. I am 62 and care for my husband after work getting little sleep, I still put in a 8 hr day. I will get 34 magazines that will cost my $2.88 each. So where is the free trial. The magazines did not even arrive until the 21 day review was up. I do not consider your company very professional. I need the 98.52 refunded and you will not hear from me again. Carolyn Naylor 1-417-833-1474
A  28th of Oct, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I got the same response about the recording crap. About the recording, I NEVER consent to recording on the phone. And how could they record my ok before I oked it. California is a state that requires all parties to agree to recording..They are guilt of wire tapping (a federal offense) if they recorded me. They will never get a nickle from me, all I have is junkie magazines I never wanted. Never got the ones I wanted. Never used a credit card to pay so they can take a flying leap and I'm filing a federal complaint.
A  31st of Oct, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
After reading everyone's comments, I realized I'm not alone. There must be a way to get out of this. I have totally stopped accepting their phone calls. And I only pay what I am supposed to pay. I change my magazines constantly to keep them on their toes. I have even contacted the magazine editors to stop sending the magazines I did not order.
A  10th of Nov, 2011 by
This company is crooked. I have a business and signed up for the magazines. They then started to harrass us to pay in full. We gave them the last payment and all of a sudden our magazines stopped coming. Oh, I was receiving ESPN and Entertainment Magazines, but where was the Star and OK and Everyday Rachel Ray. This company is a scam and I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau!!!
N  24th of Sep, 2014 by
OMG I have been receiving US weekly and this Latina Magazine that I never subscribed to. I thought about it and I said I better call because I am pretty sure these aren't free and someone is going to be trying to charge me if I keep receiving them. So I called US Weekly who said a third party had subscribed me to it called National Publishing Exchange Magazine, I call them and then they say they didn't do it that it was another third party (a fourth one I suppose) called FAMILY READER SERVICE and gave me this number to call to but no one picks up !!! ( 1-888 882 5082).I don't know what to do anymore, on top of that the guy from National Publishing Exchange Magazine said he could see I was also subscribed to Cosmopolitan ! which I have never received, I hate all these gossip magazines to begin with where do they get my information I would have never knowingly subscribe to this garbage!!!
A  15th of Aug, 2016 by
I just got a call from this company telling me I was in the top 5 people that were up to win either 1 million dollars, a Mustang or Ford Explorer I just had to pick 7 free trial magazines first. They wanted to verify my name, e-mail address and phone number! I found it obviously to be a scam as they asked for me BY NAME and they just called me from my PHONE NUMBER! As far as the e-mail address goes I refused to give it to them. I said if this is legitimate they should have that already. Then they asked what credit card did I use the most. I answered with "the one that is maxed out and over limit". The person started stuttering then and trying to go back to saying she could try to call me back in a month and we could do it then. I told her that wouldn't be necessary because I was currently on line looking at all of the scam messages regarding their businesses. She hung up. This could have been a big problem for me as it appears it has been for so many people already but I just wanted everyone to know that you should never verify any information they want or credit card information. Tell them you are broke or have just seen their scams on-line and they will very quickly go away and leave you alone.
A  22nd of May, 2017 by
I just a call from a deapt company, saying i owe $800 from the READERS COMPANY THAT I NEVER SIGN UP!! and i been tryng to google and call every contact info that its posted there, and they keep passing me to a different department so i can tell or explain my issue or complain. its been a lonv time they keep doing this to me so i get tired of it..and now someone is calling me and telling i owe money to them!! i am so pissed off to this company for signing me up! that i never agree or sign up for!!!
N  12th of Dec, 2017 by
Never ordered any magazines and I am getting lots of them including: Glamour, Hola, Us, and Allure. These need to be cancelled immediately.
My name is: Sandra Barron, PO Box 203 Belchertown, MA 01007.